recommended uk

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,106 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:40

Having just had my Vectra declared "uneconomical to repair" following a shunt, I find myself up a creek without a paddle, car wise. I'm not even remotely a petrol head so I'm wondering if you guys have some recommendations..

I'm looking for something in a family car. I need reasonable space in the back (2 kids), decent boot space, something that's reasonably roomy as I ain't a small chap. I'm thinking possibly diesel as many modern diesels are in tax band C now so are cheap to tax. I don't need high performance but I do like "features". :p

I've got a budget of about £6k, maybe £7k at a push (depending on what my insurance company pay out). I'd prefer something within 3 years old if I can swing it.

I'm thinking maybe something like a Renault Megane, a Ford Focus or possibly a Vauxhall Astra, but I'll welcome any suggestions!

#2 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

• 827 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:20

If your looking for something with good boot space and plenty of room in the back you can't go wrong with the Ford Mondeo.

#3 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,761 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:26

yeah as above said

Ford Mondeo
Ford Focus
VW Passat
Audi A4

All big cars so plenty room, depending on your age Insurance should not be too bad, Focus will be the cheapest

#4 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,386 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:47

Fords are easier and cheaper to maintain than other cars so they are a good shout. I'm also a fan of Vauxhall's.. petrol astra's have nice simple engines unlikely to encounter any major problems, and they are lovely to drive.. in my opinion.

#5 Dave Carlson

Dave Carlson

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:12

you can get yourself a reasonable BMW 320d for that kind of money ( ~ 4 years old ) - i know as that's what I did last year !

#6 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,752 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:27

I would highly recommend the Nissan Note. It's a Mini MPV (Rather than a Saloon) and really spacious, has plenty of features and is fairly cheap for a new model (09 Reg, 60k miles, £5.5k).

Also it's so easy and comfortable to drive. Try and get a newer model if you can (They look much nicer).

#7 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,761 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:43

Just bear in mind being in the UK a Japanese car e.g. nissan, mitsubishi etc will be more expensive on insurance

for example i drive a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 and i am close to £500 insurance

and for a ford focus 1.6 sport i am £233

#8 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• 1,797 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:47

Honda Civic is a good choice, got one myself a while ago, decent space, good economy and a surprisingly large ammount of room....
Plus for techies like most people on Neowin the dash looks like a space ship lol.

#9 watkinsx2

watkinsx2

Neowinian

• 342 posts
  • Phone: HTC One/Lumia 920

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:55

I would highly recommend the Nissan Note. It's a Mini MPV (Rather than a Saloon) and really spacious, has plenty of features and is fairly cheap for a new model (09 Reg, 60k miles, £5.5k).

Also it's so easy and comfortable to drive. Try and get a newer model if you can (They look much nicer).

Nissan customer service is shocking and their dealers aren't any better.

On a more consecutive note if your looking to stick with Vauxhall then the Insignia can be picked up in your price range.

Bit of a curveball but the Mk3 Renault Laguna is also a lot of car for the money and much improved over the last one. Although the looks are a bit of an acquired taste.

#10 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,752 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:49

Nissan customer service is shocking and their dealers aren't any better.

Well we've never had to deal with Customer Service, and the dealers we have been to were actually very good and very helpful, much better than the Vauxhall one I recently went to.

#11 watkinsx2

watkinsx2

Neowinian

• 342 posts
  • Phone: HTC One/Lumia 920

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:06

Well we've never had to deal with Customer Service, and the dealers we have been to were actually very good and very helpful, much better than the Vauxhall one I recently went to.

True - it was wrong of me to tar them all with the same brush, there are good ones and like Renault - the non franchise ones do tend to be better.

#12 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,529 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:38

I would love an Evo 10 in black. Really smart looking car, but out of your price range.

For an all round family car, I would recommend something like a Focus. - I personally find Vauxhall to have really bad build quality.

#13 OP FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,106 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:44

All interesting posts, thanks. :)

I'm leaning towards something from Ford, I think. I've had Fords in the past and loved every one of them. Hell, I only got rid of my XR3i because some uninsured bint t-boned me out of a side street years ago! :(

However, I kinda like Vauxhalls too... My Vectra did me well, though as Clarkson often complains, they do NOT go around corners at any decent speed! :p Might take an Astra out for a test drive.

Gah.. This is all so damned irritating... Bloody stupid woman slamming her brakes on for no reason...

What about petrol or diesel? My commute is really short, 4 miles each way, so I guess diesel wouldn't be a good idea...

#14 +mulligan2k

mulligan2k

Neowinian

• 765 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:54

you could save half your money and buy my car off me, audi s4 2.7 v6 ;)
all joking aside id throw my vote behind a mondeo

plenty of choice on autotrader but this one jumped out:
http://www.autotrade...r40hq?logcode=p

#15 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:41

2009 VW Passat 2.0 TDI, upto 80,000 miles, ~£7,000

2009 Toyota Avensis 1.8 Petrol, 49,000 miles, £6,791

2009 Saabs

2009 Volvo S40's