• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 05 February 2013 - 13:33

I have been using Arch linux for some time now, but I mess a Debian based distro.. I really loved Ubuntu and used that, but it has very bloated for my taste.. I like using MATE because I like the older "feel". After doing some research, it seems Linux Mint has a great bit of users and has a distro with Mate.. Anyone use this? If so, what can you tell me about it?

#2 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 14:30

I have been using Arch linux for some time now, but I mess a Debian based distro.. I really loved Ubuntu and used that, but it has very bloated for my taste.. I like using MATE because I like the older "feel". After doing some research, it seems Linux Mint has a great bit of users and has a distro with Mate.. Anyone use this? If so, what can you tell me about it?

Try it out! Only you can make the decision of whether you like it or not. If I were you, I'd try it out on virtualbox before you wipeing your machine. If any problems arise, just quote my post here and I'll get back to you.

Also, if you feel up to it, try out the Ubuntu 13.04 daily build. It is very snappy and very polished. My only gripe with it was not being able to get Steam up and running. It would install, update, and never finish updating. Everything else I tried out was a blast. I'm sure this problem will be fixed in the future.

#3 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 05 February 2013 - 14:45

Reviews of Mate 14:

http://desktoplinuxr...x-mint-14-mate/
http://www.linuxtoda...0121123506.html

#4 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 14:50

Try it out! Only you can make the decision of whether you like it or not. If I were you, I'd try it out on virtualbox before you wipeing your machine. If any problems arise, just quote my post here and I'll get back to you.

Also, if you feel up to it, try out the Ubuntu 13.04 daily build. It is very snappy and very polished. My only gripe with it was not being able to get Steam up and running. It would install, update, and never finish updating. Everything else I tried out was a blast. I'm sure this problem will be fixed in the future.

Plus, the installer on 13.04 has a tendency to fail.

#5 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s

Posted 05 February 2013 - 14:55

I can see someone within the Linux Technician team using Mint right now. - Ubuntu is still the more popular choice but mainly as people have to support their own machine and on some level - people are comfortable with the quick install time as a solution for when all else fails.

For quite sometime I was using Slackware (As an all-in-one) and Arch (For my primary) but I had to bow down and live with the fact my specific role requires me to use Windows.

#6 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 05 February 2013 - 15:23

Linux Mint is a great Ubuntu-based distro, but don't expect it to be "lighter" than Ubuntu. If anything, its much heavier. Also, Linux Mint's default MATE configuration looks much different than upstream's: it has only one menu bar (on bottom) and uses a different menu. It can be customized to look and behave like upstream MATE without too much hassle though.

#7 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 16:28

Plus, the installer on 13.04 has a tendency to fail.

Really? Never experienced this bug. Good to know though.

#8 OP fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:15

Thanks for the replies. I have been trying it now, and its not too bad.. are there any other debain based distros worth trying?

#9 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:22

Thanks for the replies. I have been trying it now, and its not too bad.. are there any other debain based distros worth trying?

Well for me I use ubuntu with the cinnamon desktop it is clean instead of unity or full gnome.

#10 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:54

If you love KDE, you might try Mageia .It is not Debain based, tho

#11 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:53

If you like the Ubuntu base but want something lighter, try one of these.....

http://en.wikipedia....ns#Ubuntu-based

#12 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:40

Or...

http://distrowatch.c...l&status=Active

#13 Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:24

If you like the Ubuntu base but want something lighter, try one of these.....

http://en.wikipedia....ns#Ubuntu-based

i would give lubuntu a try. its very fast and simple. i miss some graphical stuff still, but its so fast :D

#14 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:02

I've removed Mate/Cinnamon, and replaced it with LXDE, resulting in much faster performance, and less memory usage.

Lubuntu is Ubuntu with the LXDE interface as default. If you've already got Ubuntu installed, it's a piece of cake to remove GNOME/KDE, and replace them with LXDE or some other lightweight desktop environment.

Fancy desktop effects no longer appeal to me. A lot of people say Ubuntu is slow. No, GNOME 3 is the problem - Ubuntu's kernel (based on Debian) is actually very fast/efficiant.

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:55

Fancy desktop effects no longer appeal to me.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way. Just keep it simple and let it just work. In that regard you can't beat LXDE.