Automation software or how to's

Question

I am in a QA group and I am trying to find software or an easy to learn programming language that will allow for the automation of simulated user interaction. I mean in the sense of creating files, modifying files, and deleting files. Sending emails and other things like that would be a bonus. A lot of the automation software I have seen in my searches are specific to web automation or creating scheduled tasks. I need something that will encompass the many tasks that users perform on a daily basis. I appreciate any help! Thanks in advance!

9 answers to this question

Try Auto-It. You can basically record anything from basic tasks to full software installs. Just be cautious of the mouse controls as it locks coordinates to screen size.

AutoIt is relatively easy to pick up and can do what you're talking about. Google "autoitscript". I've used it for small QA tasks in the past.

Auto IT is definitely the way to go with this. Relatively simple scripting.

It depends on what technology your app under test is. Selenium IDE is a simple point/click/record tool. Selenium RC/Webdriver lend themselves more to the development minded Tester as they imvolve creating the tests in an IDE.

Plenty of commerical tools such as QTP, SilkTest etc.