Photo

Pogue: How to Use Windows 8? Search for It

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2013 - 15:08

how the hell does he come to the conclusion that windows 8 sales are low? I know this guy to be one of apples biggest fanboys,maybe someone should tell him that windows 8 has surpassed any version of mac os in users in only 2 months.

Do you have a source for this? Everything I've read shows Mac between 9 or 10% and Windows 8 sitting at 4 or 5% in terms of usage. "Sales" doesn't mean anything if it isn't being used, wait, I take that back. If a products sells like crazy but then doesn't get used isn't that worse? I think I'd rather have everyone who buys my product use it, rather than buy it and discard it, sure my accountant won't care but I think I would.

I don't care either way, I used W8 on 3 machines and now they all have W7 back on them, the desktop went back since you can't change the font and everything else just seemed to follow. My four year old, had me put W7 back on "her" desktop yesterday, I know it's probably to make her desktop look like mine, but still, I had to laugh.

#17 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:16

Do you have a source for this? Everything I've read shows Mac between 9 or 10% and Windows 8 sitting at 4 or 5% in terms of usage. "Sales" doesn't mean anything if it isn't being used, wait, I take that back. If a products sells like crazy but then doesn't get used isn't that worse? I think I'd rather have everyone who buys my product use it, rather than buy it and discard it, sure my accountant won't care but I think I would.

I don't care either way, I used W8 on 3 machines and now they all have W7 back on them, the desktop went back since you can't change the font and everything else just seemed to follow. My four year old, had me put W7 back on "her" desktop yesterday, I know it's probably to make her desktop look like mine, but still, I had to laugh.

Windows 8 has surpassed OS X Mountain Lion in market share
http://www.neowin.ne...in-market-share

Windows 8 close behind Windows XP in latest Steam hardware survey
http://www.neowin.ne...hardware-survey

Windows 8 overtake Android web presence in less than 10 days
http://microsoft-new...s-than-10-days/

Go look at some stats on statcounter. ios,which people seem to think is pretty popular,accounts for %3.82 of all operating systems. Windows 8 in a few months in is already near that,and will pass it in about a month,if it hasn't already.
I don't know where some of these folks get off saying low sales.

#18 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2013 - 21:46

Nope, you're right the places I was using was listing ALL Mac as one, and all of them combined were accounting for that 9-10% range.

#19 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:41

Extremely bewildering how someone "deep, deep, into Windows 8" and considered a pioneering tech journalist ignores the most basic tenet of the Start screen - pinning and deep pinning. Every one of those examples he offers can be pinned and in doing so becomes much easier than the Start Menu, where you could never pin deep elements.

One thing I do agree with though is that at least on a large screen, there's no reason why it should separate Files, Settings and Apps. IINM, the DP had them combined. Ideally, I would like it to be a true unified search where it returns results from not only those three but also all apps.

#20 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:50

Can you clarify what you mean by deep pinning? If its simply about 'pin everything', then why didn't MS pin it by default, as they had in the past? Its clearly still used.

#21 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 11 February 2013 - 20:17

Can you clarify what you mean by deep pinning? If its simply about 'pin everything', then why didn't MS pin it by default, as they had in the past? Its clearly still used.

go to any folder or app on your filesystem and right click>"Pin to start"

#22 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:14

I guess I considered it pinning within the Metro app space, though that makes sense, Explorer is an app. I'm just not sure how that really challenges the OT's point. It was never that it couldn't be done, (as he did mention the X menu and pinning etc) but that in his opinion, it was, "not simple, obvious, or quick."

#23 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:24

I guess I considered it pinning within the Metro app space, though that makes sense, Explorer is an app. I'm just not sure how that really challenges the OT's point. It was never that it couldn't be done, (as he did mention the X menu and pinning etc) but that in his opinion, it was, "not simple, obvious, or quick."

I suppose it wasn't on XP / 7 either then. When you install a program in Windows 8, anything that would have been installed to the Start Menu gets pinned to the start screen.

Was voice-to-text ever easy to find? It sounds like the only real complaint here is if you're searching for something and you don't know if it's an application or a file or a setting, which seems to be a larger user issue, and one that is prevalent on all of the major OSs.

#24 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:59

Browsing is worse and is compounded by a search that is less efficient was his main thrust. I'll wager he would say that was more discoverable in XP/7 (and hence simpler, obvious, and quick by default) since it was a visible target (or in the case of search, visually unified results) where now it is not.

It really is as simple as that.