Surface doomed?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

• 3,278 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 16:57

I feel Microsoft may be shooting themselves in the foot with Surface. Whilst I think the product itself is pretty awesome, the marketing decisions behind it so far have been abysmal. First the idea to only sell it in Microsoft stores even in Europe, that failed. Then they got an exclusive with John Lewis, again fail.

Now with the Surface Pro, they're releasing it in the US & Canada for sale today. How about if they released it worldwide today, how about if they didn't release it today but released it a month on from now and they were able to release it worldwide? How many more sales would that get? I'd say a few million more because the marketing can be targeted everywhere, at the same time.

Are we going to see another Zune? Good product, fail marketing? Perhaps.

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,571 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:01

It's going to be a bumpy start for Microsoft, I think, and that isn't going to help them try to win the crowd's support of Windows 8. But is the Surface doomed because of that? I don't think so.

#3 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,628 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:07

It's going to be a bumpy start for Microsoft, I think, and that isn't going to help them try to win the crowd's support of Windows 8. But is the Surface doomed because of that? I don't think so.

It's doomed because it's marketed by Microsoft. The only thing they've nailed are Windows and Office. Both of which lately have also been suffering from an abysmal marketing campaign. Surface and Windows Phone are only held in high regard by geeks or people that know geeks. The general public couldn't care less.

#4 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,592 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:11

I think the Surface Pro is an amazing device that in time with better battery, will be almost perfect. I'd love to use one of them when on a photoshoot for example and I'd like to see my shots and use Bulb exposures with my SLR tethered

#5 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,276 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:21

Are we going to see another Zune? Good product, fail marketing? Perhaps.

From what I can tell they're selling as many as they're making. There really isn't much else to say...if they could go worldwide overnight I'm sure they would.

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,811 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:21

It's doomed because there is no Start Menu.

/s

#7 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,956 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 17:32

Still haven't seen one anywhere.

#8 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,881 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 20:03

will be like the original xbox, the second one will be much better and a better hit. windows 9!

#9 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,846 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 09 February 2013 - 20:40

Surface Pro is going to do very well in the Enterprise. I think in the consumer space, Microsoft's ridiculously bad Music App, lack of syncing middleware (iTunes/Zune equivalent), have already doomed it with consumers. In the Enterprise it may actually help drive Windows 8 deployment. One area that may cause issues in the Enterprise, is the Modern UI search. That back and forth from Modern UI to Desktop environment when using search results plus it's overall clumsiness is not going to be a positive enterprise experience IMO. But the Surface Pro will do well as should form factors like the Yoga. They will be a successful Enterprise products where laptops were once purchased.

#10 Ryano121

Ryano121

Neowinian

• 161 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 20:44

Saw my very first Surface out in the wild a few days ago. It looked really good and the guy loves it, but for some reason I could never picture myself actually buying one.

#11 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:53

I'm on the fence about the Surface. It's an amazing product but Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot every way they turn with this product, and it's really pricey for the average user. It probably isn't doomed but I can't see it being a major seller.

#12 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,024 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:57

Surface Pro sold out everywhere,guess the doubters are wrong once again.

#13 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,948 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:04

there also Microsoft mis-campaign that keep telling to the masses:
"Tablet = PC and PC = Tablet"

With current Surface (pro) pricing masses will compare Surface (pro) with Laptop (PC),
and will find the fact that Laptop (PC) is:
- more powerful,
- flexible,
- can do anything that Surface Pro can do,
- AND cheaper than Surface (pro).

#14 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:07

Surface Pro sold out everywhere,guess the doubters are wrong once again.

That doesn't mean much without knowing how many was produced to sell. A lot of times these days they used "sold out" as a marketing ploy.

#15 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,024 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:13

A lot of times these days they used "sold out" as a marketing ploy.

you have zero proof. people seem to make stuff up to suit whatever it is theyre trying to portray.

retailers sold out. Microsoft stores sold out. Microsoft online sold out, and there were long lines up outsides the stores. thats fact. Doomed?