Photo

How close can the Win 8 desktop act like the Win 7 desktop?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Indoobidubly

Indoobidubly

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:09

Buying a new laptop that will come with Windows 8. I already tried using Windows 8 on a relatives PC and I didn't like it (not a hater, it's just not for me).

I plan on using just the Desktop mode of Windows 8 and not the Start Screen. I know that programs like Start8 exist to bring back the Start Menu, but is there any way to disable all of the Hot Corners? I'd also like to disable the Charms Bar.

Are there any other curveballs that I'm missing that make the Win 8 desktop different from the the Win 7 desktop?

#2 sailorsonic

sailorsonic

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:12

Start8 can disable all those corners you mentioned, and can take you to the desktop when you login.

#3 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:18

Some things like network connections that would normally pop up from the taskbar near the clock are now part of the Metro UI, so afaik you will still have some Metro left (Unless someone has managed to change that since I last tried)

#4 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC M8 & HTC 8X

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:19

Start8 does all that you asked and more, but I think after you give a try to Win8 for just a few weeks you will not want to disable the new features, it's really cool after you get to know it, give it time to learn it, it has a learning curve.

#5 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:19

If you use a start menu application like start8 (paid) or iobit start menu 8 (free) then you can easily have it act like windows 7, you can boot straight to desktop, disable hot corners etc (start8 has options to do this, not totally sure about other start menu apps since I haven't used them, but most probably have the same options)...

Start8 does all that you asked and more, but I think after you give a try to Win8 for just a few weeks you will not want to disable the new features, it's really cool after you get to know it, give it time to learn it, it has a learning curve.

I gave it a try for a few weeks and it wasn't hard to get used to, but I do find somethings are definitely still quicker with the start menu (like rebooting). I like start8 because it can give you the best of both worlds. It sets the right side windows key to open the start screen, and the left one to open start menu, and you can enable/disable each hot corner according to your preference. The few metro apps I do use occasionally I have pinned right to the start menu.

#6 link6155

link6155

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:39

StartIsBack, probably the best start menu for windows 8. Not only does it bring back the real native start menu, but it lets you log right into the desktop.

#7 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC M8 & HTC 8X

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:45

IMHO Start8 is the best option, you get the best of both worlds with it, you can either make the Start Icon bring up the classic Win7 Start Menu, or bring just the new Start Screen, or if you would like it can do both, clicking on the icon can bring the old Start Menu while clicking on the Windows logo on your keyboard brings up the Start Screen or viceversa, plus it can log you in directly into the desktop as well if you so wish, plus it also lets you disable ALL hot corners or just 'Some' if you want, fully functional, awesome program and very little resource usage.

#8 mzta cody

mzta cody

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:57

There's also the Ribbon interface, that has been welded onto Explorer. I myself have no problems with the ribbon, but if you'd rather have a Windows7-like Explorer, with the good old "command module", there's this software.
http://winaero.com/d...oad.php?view.18

#9 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 February 2013 - 00:50

If you don't mind me asking, why not just use Windows 7?

#10 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:13

I'd install 7 on it personally. However if you insist on sticking with 8, use startisback. Removes all the metro that start8 keeps.

#11 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:23

You people do know that you can by pass the Modern UI (Start Up Screen) by holding down the "The Enter Key" after entering your password; guess not. By holding down the Enter Key you can jump to the desktop screen. If you have something like a dock or an app like Fences you may not need to go to the Start Screen except for Modern UI apps. Personally I use Rocket Dock (free), hence not paying for a Menu app that is not needed. . .:)

#12 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:39

Those start menu apps are going to have a hard time 1-2 years from now when the desktop changes even more. I doubt Windows 9 will have a desktop like 8 does.

#13 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:48

Those start menu apps are going to have a hard time 1-2 years from now when the desktop changes even more. I doubt Windows 9 will have a desktop like 8 does.

Then I doubt Windows 9 will have as many users as Windows 7/8 has now ;)

#14 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:52

Then I doubt Windows 9 will have as many users as Windows 7/8 has now ;)

No, it'll have more I bet. When the two sides that 8 brings are further merged into one and flow/work better.

#15 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:53

If you don't mind me asking, why not just use Windows 7?

Maybe he doesn't have Windows 7?

Or maybe he wants to take advantage of all the enhancements that aren't superficial, after using 8 I can't go back to Windows 7, so I bought Start8 and jobs a goodun.