14 posts in this topic

Posted

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/first-look-25-raspberry-pi-computer-132227303.html"]http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/first-look-25-raspberry-pi-computer-132227303.html[/url]

I want one just for giggles. What OS's run off of an ARM processor?hmm

[quote][color=#000000][font=Georgia, Times,]This week we got our hands on the only Raspberry Pi Model A in the United States, thanks to Limor

Posted

A microsd slot just tickles me for a storage solution

Posted

i saw the pins set on the board, chance it could run a small HDD or other storage solution?

Posted

interesting.... a tablet without the rest of it's hardware :p

seriously... I would think about getting one, just for the novelty factor :)

Posted

First look? really? These have been in the UK for months now. It's a full sized SD slot though not MicroSD, they can run a version of XBMC quite well, check out RaspBMC I've got one in the bedroom hooked up to the USB port on my TV, it powers up when I turn the TV on and streams my content quite well from my NAs.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='AbandonedTrolley' timestamp='1360835971' post='595521024']
First look? really? These have been in the UK for months now. It's a full sized SD slot though not MicroSD, they can run a version of XBMC quite well, check out RaspBMC I've got one in the bedroom hooked up to the USB port on my TV, it powers up when I turn the TV on and streams my content quite well from my NAs.
[/quote]

First look of the model a, perhaps? it's just been released. I've got the 512mb model B and building a SNES/PSX/NES/SEGA emulator.. just waiting for the last part to arrive hopefully today then i can work on it over the weekend.

Posted

I've been trying to find a local Canadian supplier that is even remotely close to 30 dollars, US ones want 30 dollars for shipping to Canada, which is absurd.

Posted

I've found an interesting use for the Pi.

I've spun up a Linux box running on one of my Servers and have a SNES Emulator on it, from there, two Raspberry Pi's VNC into said X Session and can both play the same SNES Game at the same time. Now I'm just finding a way for USB > SNES Adapters to work properly. Then we'll get LAN Multiplayer for SNES games :p

[quote name='JaredFrost' timestamp='1360836943' post='595521042']
I've been trying to find a local Canadian supplier that is even remotely close to 30 dollars, US ones want 30 dollars for shipping to Canada, which is absurd.
[/quote]

A few of my friends in Vancouver have them, I'll find out where they ordered them from.

Posted

[quote name='JaredFrost' timestamp='1360836943' post='595521042']
[/quote]Befriend a truck or other delivery driver who goes to the states, ask him to get you one, then he/she can simply mail it to you once back in Canada
(my brother-in-law does this for me when sending me nutter butters, which aren't available in the UK)

Posted

[quote name='CPressland' timestamp='1360837095' post='595521044']
A few of my friends in Vancouver have them, I'll find out where they ordered them from.
[/quote]

That would be awesome, thanks.

[quote name='Dushmany' timestamp='1360837142' post='595521046']
Befriend a truck or other delivery driver who goes to the states, ask him to get you one, then he/she can simply mail it to you once back in Canada
(my brother-in-law does this for me when sending me nutter butters, which aren't available in the UK)
[/quote]

haha, I'll get on the CB and see if I can befriend some truckers.

Posted

Yeah, 'First look' is some kind of joke, the model a is a model b but doesn't have the ethernet port or the USB hub.
It's not new.

Arch linux arm runs on it, as does raspian, risc os does too.
It's not all that great, doesn't use much power and is equivilent to a 300Mhz intel CPU without any of the extra CPU instructions (SSE, MMX, etc.).
You have to boot from the SD card but you can have just the firmware on the SD and have it boot from a USB hard drive and whatnot.

Posted

[quote name='CPressland' timestamp='1360837095' post='595521044']
I've found an interesting use for the Pi.

I've spun up a Linux box running on one of my Servers and have a SNES Emulator on it, from there, two Raspberry Pi's VNC into said X Session and can both play the same SNES Game at the same time. Now I'm just finding a way for USB > SNES Adapters to work properly. Then we'll get LAN Multiplayer for SNES games :p

[/quote]

what do you mean by USB > SNES Adapters? Does the server think each connection is a separate controller? sounds really cool..

Posted

You can get USB to SNES controller port adapters off ebay for like

Posted

[quote name='n_K' timestamp='1360919042' post='595522800']
You can get USB to SNES controller port adapters off ebay for like