Beige vs Black Optical Drives

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 February 2013 - 15:04

plus on top of that, how much sunlight does your case really get through out the day, probably close to none. Weirdest myth in a while

#17 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 14 February 2013 - 15:06

Every time someone says this, I am reminded of October Sky(for people who haven't see it, its a movie about some average kids going to an average school doing rocket science). Do people actually think rocket science is hard? Go to Walmart and pick up a rocket kit. Congratulations, you are now a rocket scientist. Any child can do this. If you are trying to make a point, at least use something that is hard to accomplish and understand, like string theory, why females act the way they do, or stem cell research.

Typically it is used when referring to putting a object into orbit or landing it on another planet. Getting a model rocket and shooting it off is not the "science" part however. Building the rocket from scratch and putting it into orbit, would be more what the term is used for. But I get what you are saying.

#18 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 February 2013 - 15:08

Why is Space so cold? It's black, so should absorb all the stars rays!1

/s

#19 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 14 February 2013 - 15:08

OMG, black does not get hotter. Where do people get these ideas?
Personally I think that MYTH started with black vehicles, which seem to get hotter.
The color black does NOT absorb heat, in any way, it's just that on vehicles a shiney color reflects sun off better than a dark color.
Hense why a black car would end up being hotter compared to a silver car.
Christ... it ain't rocket science.

its fact.. black does absorb ... while lighter shiner reflects

#20 MarkusDarkus

MarkusDarkus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2013 - 15:48

This thread is brilliant. It really makes me fell better about myself.

Just to throw something else in there though. Black objects do reflect light!.. Well light energy anyway. However when it is 'reflected' it is 'reflected' in the infrared wavelength so we cannot see it with our eyes but it is there.

;)

#21 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:08

A little glossy black (e.g., LiteOn iHAS) still reflects a little while fully matte black (e.g., Samsung SH-something) absorbs all. Therefore, LiteOn must be better :p

#22 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:20

Wow, this is one of the strangest PC myths I've ever heard.

Let's be realistic here. The heat from the inside of your PC case is going to heat up an optical drive much much much more than some infrared rays hitting the small surface area of the front bezel of the optical drive. And the heat inside your case fluctuates quite a bit depending on what you're doing, so it's simple to disprove this "myth".

Plus these bezels are plastic, which is a poor conductor of heat.

#23 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:47

And regarding the discussion of white vs black and heat absorption, let's go back to the basics here.

First of all, "heat" is simply caused by the vibration and rubbing of particles.
A black surface absorbs all visible light waves, so there will be a lot of particles "rubbing" together which creates heat.
Since a white surface reflects these light waves, these particles aren't present to create the same magnitude of heat.
It's basically as simple as that.

#24 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 February 2013 - 16:25

Typically it is used when referring to putting a object into orbit or landing it on another planet. Getting a model rocket and shooting it off is not the "science" part however. Building the rocket from scratch and putting it into orbit, would be more what the term is used for. But I get what you are saying.

Well in the case of the Walmart rockets, you build those yourself using the parts and instructions. Go to hobby lobby and you can find kits to design the thing. October Sky was about average kids building rockets from scratch. Also, don't forget that rocket science includes missiles. "Rocket Science" is no where near as hard as people make it out to be when using that phase.

#25 DaveGreen93

DaveGreen93

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:04

Quick question

Why do Islamic men and women tend to wear black clothing from head to toe in the searing heat of the day?
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to them if they wore white? Seeing as Black apparently absorbs so much more heat...

#26 Fish

Fish

Slamdunk the funk

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:50

Quick question

Why do Islamic men and women tend to wear black clothing from head to toe in the searing heat of the day?
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to them if they wore white? Seeing as Black apparently absorbs so much more heat...

Off topic but here goes...

Apparently, it has to do with the chimney effect. The robes are usually loose-fitting and allow the warm air to rise up through the clothing easily, pulling in cooler air from the bottom, thus keeping the wearer cooler than if they wore tight-fitting white clothing.

That's the explanation I heard, but forgive my cultural ignorance if I'm completely wrong.

#27 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:59

Every time someone says this, I am reminded of October Sky(for people who haven't see it, its a movie about some average kids going to an average school doing rocket science). Do people actually think rocket science is hard? Go to Walmart and pick up a rocket kit. Congratulations, you are now a rocket scientist. Any child can do this. If you are trying to make a point, at least use something that is hard to accomplish and understand, like string theory, why females act the way they do, or stem cell research.

My son is a rocket scientist. We launch rockets all the time.

#28 OP ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:51

We've certainly lost the point of this thread.

From what I can see, I'm assuming I'm right. If I remember correctly, Logan mentioned that writing speeds are significantly affected in contrast between a beige and black faceplate. I don't think plastic conducts heat enough to get to the laser for it to have a "significant" effect on writing speeds.

This is why I'm now a skeptic of everything I ever learn.

#29 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:28

A little glossy black (e.g., LiteOn iHAS) still reflects a little while fully matte black (e.g., Samsung SH-something) absorbs all. Therefore, LiteOn must be better :p

:shiftyninja:

#30 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:46

Well the black face plate on mine is cold to touch, inside of the case is a different matter altogether. Maybe because my room is always dark? :shiftyninja: :laugh: