Photo

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 February 2013 - 16:46

No, it's only you that have double standards and keep mentioning the Windows 8 bootloader that nobody talked about and has nothing to do with this discussion. I used a Windows Ubuntu installer, shouldn't it support... I don't know... WINDOWS? If it doesn't support it and the company didn't bother updating it or putting a proper warning on the application or the page rather than one is that is related to UEFI whose fault is it? Who cares if according their update schedule is every 6 months they could have made an exception and do something about it. It's like if after a car ran over you the driver would just came out with "SORRY, I ONLY BRAKE ON TUESDAYS". What kind of argument is that?

If you expect them to cater to other people's release schedules you really shouldn't be using a computer. Go and get a clue on how software vendors work.

#32 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2013 - 16:49

You're not alone francescob. Had almost the same experience: http://www.neowin.ne...t__p__595525154

#33 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2013 - 16:50

If you expect them to cater to other people's release schedules you really shouldn't be using a computer. Go and get a clue on how software vendors work.

Yeah, you should work for Gearbox software. QA not your thing..

#34 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 17 February 2013 - 16:53

Cool! The new Steam for Linux is out and what do I see? THEY GIVE A FREE TF2 HAT!?!?! I MUST HAS IT!!

So I downloaded Wubi and started installing...

Nice. It completed. Let's have it reboot and expect it to finish the install...

WRONG!

It doesn't boot because it says that Windows is hibernated. Windows 8 hibernates the kernel to speed up startups yet Wubi didn't tell me anything about that. Let's turn the hybrid boot off and expect it to work...

WRONG!

It still doesn't boot with the same reason. Let's go back to windows and turn hibernation off with powercfg -h off.

WRONG!

Again, it doesn't work. Same reason. Let's reboot windows and delete the whole hibernation file and reboot again.

RIGHT!

So the install starts. It starts copying stuff around for a while. Let's wait until it continues... it will certainly end.

WRONG!

It hangs at about 75%. After a while the log starts showing warnings that the copy process has freezed. After about 20 minutes I issue a "sudo reboot" command from console, of course it doesn't work and I have to do an hardware reboot. I try a couple more times then give up and download the whole Ubuntu ISO. Then, let's install the latest 64bit from the ISO like the wiki page suggests for Win 8/UEFI users (no, my machine doesn't have UEFI but since Wubi doesn't work the only alternative is the whole Ubuntu disc hoping it doesn't screw up my bootloader)...

FINALLY!

It finally installed, so let's open Steam website and download the Steam client. Let's run that nice .deb package and expect it to work.

WRONG!

The package available on the website is 32bit only. Apparently I need to use the Ubuntu software center for that. Let's open it, let's register (what's this damn obsession of having to register for free software?) and install Steam 64bit hoping it works.

WRONG!

The Ubuntu software center crashes with no reasons at all. Let's open it again, maybe it was just bad luck!

WRONG!

It crashes again. Let's try using the command line to install it then. It will certainly work.

WRONG!
WROOOOOOOOOOOONG!
WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Package dependencies cannot be resolved
This error could be caused by required additional software packages
which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could
be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be
installed at the same time.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
steam64: Depends: steam (= 1.0.0.27ubuntu1) but it is a virtual package

Apparently Valve didn't even make sure Steam for Linux worked with the latest 64bit version of Ubuntu.

Now I'm going to curl up in a corner and cry, my TF2 hat collection will never be the same without that hat. Thanks, Gabe and Mark :cry:

Posted Image

#35 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 17 February 2013 - 16:54

And again I repeat

Ubuntu 12.10 was released BEFORE Windows 8.

Oh come on, you're talking about weeks here. And there were numerous preview releases and technical documents available. Considering that Windows is the main competitor to Linux it makes sense for compatibility with it to be one of the main design considerations.

#36 OP francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2013 - 17:01

I didn't say they had to wait for Windows 8 to be released, I said that there were several previews of Windows 8 before Ubuntu came out that they could have used for testing. Wubi is a software for windows, if some other commercial software for Windows had come out days before the Windows 8 release wouldn't you have expected it to work or at least the company to have issued a patch or a warning?

Posted Image

Click on the "Learn more >" button, as already said the warning is regarding UEFI (Windows 8 certified "Logo" machines are all UEFI hence it says to use x64 Ubuntu that is the only that can do GPT boot), not Windows 8 itself. Nobody knows if Wubi works or not on Windows 8, people around on forums/blogs say it works after turning off hybrid boot.

#37 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 17 February 2013 - 17:06

There were two public pre-releases.
Some testing could have been done.

#38 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2013 - 17:42

I didn't say they had to wait for Windows 8 to be released, I said that there were several previews of Windows 8 before Ubuntu came out that they could have used for testing. Wubi is a software for windows, if some other commercial software for Windows had come out days before the Windows 8 release wouldn't you have expected it to work or at least the company to have issued a patch or a warning?

Click on the "Learn more >" button, as already said the warning is regarding UEFI (Windows 8 certified "Logo" machines are all UEFI hence it says to use x64 Ubuntu that is the only that can do GPT boot), not Windows 8 itself. Nobody knows if Wubi works or not on Windows 8, people around on forums/blogs say it works after turning off hybrid boot.

dude, It says right there in that screenshot not to use wubi...

installed directly to its own partition, rather than using the windows installer

You ignored the warning, used wubi on windows 8, and then came here and complained saying they should have told you not to use wubi?

#39 SinghKing

SinghKing

Neowinian

Posted 17 February 2013 - 17:42

I dnt see what the fuss is all about. Forget all this fancy crap and go back to basics.
Get 2 HDD, install windows 8 on 1, and Ubuntu on another and just prioritise the harddrives depending on which OS u want to boot from.
HDD are cheap as chips and save u pratting around with the bootloaders and everything.

#40 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 17 February 2013 - 17:53

Funny, I've had no issues with Windows 8 and dual booting Linux.

A real dual boot or a wubi install ?

#41 OP francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2013 - 17:53

dude, It says right there in that screenshot not to use wubi...

installed directly to its own partition, rather than using the windows installer

You ignored the warning, used wubi on windows 8, and then came here and complained saying they should have told you not to use wubi?

I did not ignore the warning, the warning is regarding the fact that Ubuntu does not work on computers where there are EFI operating systems installed unless you use the x64 version. Go on the page, read the warning well and click on the "Learn More >" button below to see what I'm talking about. I only have Windows 8 installed, I don't have a "Windows 8 logo PC" (those with UEFI secure boot) or an UEFI system at all.

#42 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

Posted 17 February 2013 - 18:01

And this, folks, is why linux will never get beyond the minuscule 2% of all desktops, all the problems coupled with all the fighting make it far worse than any "giant sadness" that windows 8 will ever be.

#43 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2013 - 18:39

Anyway, I will pass on OP's little adventure as I doubt Linux can emulate DX11 and higher without some performance penalty.

Why would it need to emulate anything? I thought most of the offerings for Steam for Linux Games were using OpenGL.
(not saying that I agree it is better for gaming, but does state in the news about OpenGL)
http://www.neowin.ne...ws-8-for-gaming
I can actually even with Windows remember being able to run games in OpenGL mode and DirectX mode.
Which at one time it was hard to find DX games.

Seems as if a lot of people have forgotten that there is something out there other than DirectX.

#44 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 17 February 2013 - 18:42

Why would it need to emulate anything? I thought most of the offerings for Steam for Linux Games were using OpenGL.
(not saying that I agree it is better for gaming, but does state in the news about OpenGL)
http://www.neowin.ne...ws-8-for-gaming
I can actually even with Windows remember being able to run games in OpenGL mode and DirectX mode.
Which at one time it was hard to find DX games.

Seems as if a lot of people have forgotten that there is something out there other than DirectX.

Aren't they going to release other games via wrappers or something?
Offerings ATM are very poor.

#45 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2013 - 18:47

Aren't they going to release other games via wrappers or something?
Offerings ATM are very poor.

valve's linux games are native ports using opengl.