28 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=4][font=Helvetica]Back in October I decided to sell my then two-year-old 27-inch iMac (medio 2010) and switch to something more portable. I looked into getting a 15-inch MacBook Pro but after owning one for almost two weeks I decided against it and returned the computer to Apple. I didn't use the notebook as much on-the-go as I expected to at first and found it too bulky to carry around with me all the time. On top of that I really missed the large screen and extra performance, especially when working in Final Cut Pro.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]When the late 2012 27-inch iMac went on sale November 30th I immediately ordered one with the following BTO specifications:[/font][/size][list]
[*][size=4][font=Helvetica]3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Helvetica]8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Helvetica]1TB Fusion Drive[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Helvetica]NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Helvetica]Magic Trackpad[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Helvetica]Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide[/font][/size]
[/list]

[size=4][font=Helvetica]I would later add an additional 8 GB of memory to get a total of 16 GB.[/font]

[font=Helvetica][img]http://imageshack.us/a/img42/830/img0387kr.jpg[/img][/font]
[size=3][font=Helvetica][color=#696969]Apple updated the packaging to take up even less space[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Helvetica]On January 3, 2013 I finally received my brand new 27-inch iMac. Unfortunately the screen wasn't installed properly, which meant I missed a strip of about three pixels wide on the right and it suffered from extensive backlight bleeding. I called Apple and without any issues the woman on the phone made arrangements for a new iMac. She also offered me
3 people like this

Posted

Comparison of screen estate 2560 x 1440 vs 1920 x 1080

[img]http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/240/resolutioncomparison.png[/img]
2 people like this

Posted

Nice write up.

I also have the same model iMac with maxed out ram. Is the best iMac I've owned. Do wish they'd put more usb ports. I don't miss the superdrive, but did end up buying one cheap on amazon, for those "just in case" moments.

Just apple, please get rid of the jleno chin on the imacs... its been about 7yrs now.

Posted

At this point I think the chin is there purely for esthetic reasons, to set the iMac aside from a generic display. From what I remember it doesn't house anything more than the speakers.

Posted

i got the 27' i5 and its the best computer i've owned so far...don't need the superdrive at all. thing is massive coming from using a 15.4 laptop for the last 6 years

Posted

I like the design but these laptop parts are not gonna cut it for builders like myself.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='humanz.' timestamp='1361146081' post='595527506']
I like the design but these laptop parts are not gonna cut it for builders like myself.[/quote]
With the 27-inch iMac both the CPU and HDD are desktop-grade. The GPU is mobile though. I don't think the iMac has had a mobile CPU since 2009.

Posted

[quote name='.Neo' timestamp='1361146559' post='595527524']
With the 27-inch iMac both the CPU and HDD are desktop-grade. The GPU is mobile though. I don't think the iMac has had a mobile CPU since 2009.
[/quote]

The GPU is also downclocked quite a bit.

I'm not going to nitpick and say this machine won't suffice most of everyone's needs, it's definately more than capable. But my needs require I be able to have full control of what's inside my system.

If I was cooking I'd prob have one as a kitchen unit to look up stuff while I'm prepping up my ingredients or just checking up on something.

Posted

[quote name='humanz.' timestamp='1361147220' post='595527550']But my needs require I be able to have full control of what's inside my system.[/quote]
Then the iMac definitely isn't for you. :p

Personally I'm done with trying to control every aspect of my computer like I used to. It just isn't needed for me.

Posted

Have been looking getting one, but also looking at MBPr 13" and 27" Monitor. I would like to be able to take my MBPr with me on trips and work.

Posted

Very nice piece of kit, and good review :)

Posted

Good review touching on the details that have changed such as the merged logical volume as well as the screen reflectivity change. :)

Posted

Thanks!

If you guys have questions about stuff I haven't covered in my review don't hesitate to ask! :)

Posted

Great review. I'd get one if I had the money to spare. I don't really need it, but I've always been a fan of Apple's hardware. The software, on the other hand, is good enough for me but I prefer Windows because of its gaming support. This would be great for productivity though. I could see myself spending time learning how to edit videos and photos with a machine as powerful as that.

Also, dat resolution. Makes my 22" 1680x1050 monitor look like 800x600.

Posted

This review is worthy of front page :)
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='djdanster' timestamp='1361191262' post='595528284']
This review is worthy of front page :)
[/quote]

Agreed, I don't own anything Apple but the review/story kept me reading to the end

Posted

Good review, what about fan noise? If you're stressing the GPU and/or CPU does it get loud?

My old iMac (I think it was mid 2010) used to get ridiculously hot and noisy when you used graphics applications (e.g. Maya), I got it replaced because I thought it was faulty but the replacement was the same so ended up returning it. With faster components and smaller internal space I imagine this would be the same?

Posted

[quote name='Detection' timestamp='1361191938' post='595528300']
Agreed, I don't own anything Apple but the review/story kept me reading to the end
[/quote]
Thanks for the kind words. Since the iMac isn't a completely new product and most here are familiar with it (at least to some degree) I tried limiting my story to what has changed, rather than doing a full report on the iMac and OS X as whole.

[quote name='ZakO' timestamp='1361193047' post='595528322']
Good review, what about fan noise? If you're stressing the GPU and/or CPU does it get loud?

My old iMac (I think it was mid 2010) used to get ridiculously hot and noisy when you used graphics applications (e.g. Maya), I got it replaced because I thought it was faulty but the replacement was the same so ended up returning it. With faster components and smaller internal space I imagine this would be the same?
[/quote]
I covered this in my review: My 2010 iMac became so hot it was almost impossible to touch the back, which apparently is normal for all 2009, 2010 and 2011 iMac models. The 2012 iMac stays much, much cooler. Under stress the back becomes lukewarm at best, nowhere near the blazing furnace the 2010 iMac turns into. Eventually the fan (from what I understand the 2012 iMac only has one) does spin up when using CPU and GPU intensive apps, but it doesn't make as much noice.
1 person likes this

Posted

i barely use the thing to its full capacity but i've never heard the fan spin up...in fact its never made a noise (haven't filled up the 1TB yet still purely on the fusion ssd)

Posted

I bought one of these last week from Best Buy and it indeed fits the bill. I was going to get this from Amazon, but they were temporarily sold out. I had a Amazon Prime account, so I took my invoice to Best Buy and they matched it. That included no tax which would have been about $ 100.00. Very nice set up.... great packaging, and the wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse it awesome. I went ahead and bought the track pad also since I have a Macbook Air and am used to the gestures. 2560 x 1440 resolution is as crisp as I have ever seen.

This set up does cost some serious change, so I think that a perspective buyer should think about usage over aesthetics when purchasing it. To me, however, it was well worth it!

Posted

I rather them make it slightly thicker to be able to put a descent video card in it

Posted

As a Windows user I'll probably hate myself for saying this but seeing OSX alongside Windows 8 really does feel like a beauty and the beast scenario, and the beast isn't the Apple setup :(

Posted

[quote name='togermano' timestamp='1362328610' post='595555266']
I rather them make it slightly thicker to be able to put a descent video card in it
[/quote]
The 27-inch iMac has the best graphics card of all competing all-in-ones I came across (DELL, Lenovo, HP, Asus). Making the iMac "slightly thicker" probably won't allow it to house desktop-grade graphics to begin with, as demonstrated by previous designs.

[quote name='Javik' timestamp='1362419586' post='595557342']
As a Windows user I'll probably hate myself for saying this but seeing OSX alongside Windows 8 really does feel like a beauty and the beast scenario, and the beast isn't the Apple setup :(
[/quote]
After using OS X I honestly can't deal with Microsoft's messy interface design anymore. I'm hoping Apple will get rid of the skeuomorphic interface elements in the next major OS X release though.

Posted

Really great review!!! I'm looking to get exact the same config, but I still have to save up some more money :)

Posted

[quote name='.Neo' timestamp='1361144950' post='595527454']
Comparison of screen estate 2560 x 1440 vs 1920 x 1080

[/quote]

Source to that wallpaper?