• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:52

This review is worthy of front page :)

Agreed, I don't own anything Apple but the review/story kept me reading to the end

#17 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• 1,041 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 13:10

Good review, what about fan noise? If you're stressing the GPU and/or CPU does it get loud?

My old iMac (I think it was mid 2010) used to get ridiculously hot and noisy when you used graphics applications (e.g. Maya), I got it replaced because I thought it was faulty but the replacement was the same so ended up returning it. With faster components and smaller internal space I imagine this would be the same?

#18 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,579 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 18 February 2013 - 14:27

Agreed, I don't own anything Apple but the review/story kept me reading to the end

Thanks for the kind words. Since the iMac isn't a completely new product and most here are familiar with it (at least to some degree) I tried limiting my story to what has changed, rather than doing a full report on the iMac and OS X as whole.

Good review, what about fan noise? If you're stressing the GPU and/or CPU does it get loud?

My old iMac (I think it was mid 2010) used to get ridiculously hot and noisy when you used graphics applications (e.g. Maya), I got it replaced because I thought it was faulty but the replacement was the same so ended up returning it. With faster components and smaller internal space I imagine this would be the same?

I covered this in my review: My 2010 iMac became so hot it was almost impossible to touch the back, which apparently is normal for all 2009, 2010 and 2011 iMac models. The 2012 iMac stays much, much cooler. Under stress the back becomes lukewarm at best, nowhere near the blazing furnace the 2010 iMac turns into. Eventually the fan (from what I understand the 2012 iMac only has one) does spin up when using CPU and GPU intensive apps, but it doesn't make as much noice.

#19 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

• 6,324 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 18:52

i barely use the thing to its full capacity but i've never heard the fan spin up...in fact its never made a noise (haven't filled up the 1TB yet still purely on the fusion ssd)

#20 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

• 15,073 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 16:27

I bought one of these last week from Best Buy and it indeed fits the bill. I was going to get this from Amazon, but they were temporarily sold out. I had a Amazon Prime account, so I took my invoice to Best Buy and they matched it. That included no tax which would have been about $ 100.00. Very nice set up.... great packaging, and the wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse it awesome. I went ahead and bought the track pad also since I have a Macbook Air and am used to the gestures. 2560 x 1440 resolution is as crisp as I have ever seen.

This set up does cost some serious change, so I think that a perspective buyer should think about usage over aesthetics when purchasing it. To me, however, it was well worth it!

#21 togermano

togermano

hot top for the bottoms

• 425 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 16:36

I rather them make it slightly thicker to be able to put a descent video card in it

#22 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,062 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 17:53

As a Windows user I'll probably hate myself for saying this but seeing OSX alongside Windows 8 really does feel like a beauty and the beast scenario, and the beast isn't the Apple setup :(

#23 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,579 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 18:32

I rather them make it slightly thicker to be able to put a descent video card in it

The 27-inch iMac has the best graphics card of all competing all-in-ones I came across (DELL, Lenovo, HP, Asus). Making the iMac "slightly thicker" probably won't allow it to house desktop-grade graphics to begin with, as demonstrated by previous designs.

As a Windows user I'll probably hate myself for saying this but seeing OSX alongside Windows 8 really does feel like a beauty and the beast scenario, and the beast isn't the Apple setup :(

After using OS X I honestly can't deal with Microsoft's messy interface design anymore. I'm hoping Apple will get rid of the skeuomorphic interface elements in the next major OS X release though.

#24 neeldenn

neeldenn

Neowinian

• 182 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Spacegray 64GB

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:04

Really great review!!! I'm looking to get exact the same config, but I still have to save up some more money :)

#25 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,767 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:25

Comparison of screen estate 2560 x 1440 vs 1920 x 1080

Source to that wallpaper?

#26 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,579 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:17

Both desktop pictures are OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 8 defaults.

#27 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,699 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:43

Good Review

I only have one apple product an old 2nd gen Ipod nano lol

Great review i dont intend on buying any more apple stuff but this kept me reading :)

another vote for Front Page

#28 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,579 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:56

Thanks!