Photo

New Desktop Mockup

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 gahfe

gahfe

Neowinian

Posted 20 February 2013 - 00:44

Hi, I was fooling about a new desktop concept for windows, I added some new features to, is only a WIP but I wanna share with you

mockup4-01.jpg

sorry for my english

#2 link6155

link6155

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 February 2013 - 00:51

I think it's an alright concept, but there's some issues.

1. The taskbar seems too clustered, notification should not be shown or they should be shown in another bar.
2. Don't think the start menu is needed, but let's not start a "start button" war
3. The concept doesn't quite fit into the Metro/Modern Guidelines

Again it's a good start for a concept, but it needs a little facelift.

#3 OP gahfe

gahfe

Neowinian

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:07

Link6155 thanks for the feedback

1- Yes I think about this, but (for me) the notification area must be there because the taskbar is always open, I think this can use one button space and callapse it if you have more notifications (like android), maybe can be one icon for all notifications, or both

2- yes don't start hehe, I don't know if this is necesary, but I have a couple of concept about switching from desktop apps to metro fullscreen apps and this can be for the start screen too, but is only an idea

3- Yes I changed the name because is not modernUI

#4 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:14

It looks good, especially the start menu. :)

One thing I would change is the taskbar. It would be cool to have a shorter taskbar (like XFCE does sometimes in LInux) and have one button to click that will bring up a popup that shows open tasks (or programs). Otherwise the taskbar is too cluttered.

#5 OP gahfe

gahfe

Neowinian

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:30

yes I understand but only to know and talk about this, what is the issue about the taskbar is clustered?

for me the main goal of the start bar is showing all the things you need to know about your system, like applications opens and important info, also can be a quick launcher but this is not the first goal, for this you have the start screen/menu

one thing I like about windows is this have a taskbar and not a dock like mac

other thing about the concept is made for 10'' screen in bigger resolution can be more useful

This is only my 2 cents about the taskbar, but I will try another solutions to look more clean

#6 OP gahfe

gahfe

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2013 - 23:10

HI guys here is an update, I try to clean a little de interface an try to do the icons with standard tile size

this is the new desktop (is a WIP)

mockup6-01.jpg

#7 OP gahfe

gahfe

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2013 - 23:15

and this is a what happens when you press the fullscreen button or desktop-to-metro button or something like that, for example: in the explorer

desktoptometro2.gif

my idea is for some apps like skype could be cool switch between the desktop app and the metro app

I hope you like it
greetings

#8 OP gahfe

gahfe

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2013 - 20:40

here are two concepts to open frecuent program (one thing I miss a lot from start menu)

the first option is obvious, a new kind of start menu, you can switch to full screen to see the normal start screen

are two major features in a clasic start menu, one access to frecuent apps, other you can drag and drop to pin the start. The start menu is the same in start screen but showed verticaly like winpho

mockup6-06.jpg

and this is a new concept taken from internet explorer, swipe from the bottom screen and the taskbarpinned apps and frecuent apps are showed, this could be cool because the bottom swipe in desktop is not assigned

mockup6-07.jpg

I hope somebody like this

#9 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 08 March 2013 - 20:50

your start menu mockup reminds me a bit of this mockup from another neowin thread http://www.neowin.ne...t-menu-mock-up/

though, honestly I think i like yours a little better now that i look at them both :)

#10 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 March 2013 - 21:05

No offense, but I find this very kludgy. Too much going on, and too many steps to take to get functionality. A tablet or touchscreen user would never put up with that.

#11 OP gahfe

gahfe

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2013 - 21:15

thanks! and yes I see it is a great mockup, that thread inspired me to do these mockups, also start8 and retroUI give me some ideas

but I'm thinking this like a global concept today the are 2 worlds in windows 8 and boths are great, this concepts are trying to close one each other

hehe sorry for my english

#12 OP gahfe

gahfe

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2013 - 21:29

hi dot matrix wich featu/re you feel kludgy? because all are one gesture only

maybe have two ways to show the start screen is confusing, but the other idea I think have possibilities, because already are pinned apps in the taskbar and today we dont have access to the frecuent used apps

#13 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 March 2013 - 22:10

maybe have two ways to show the start screen is confusing, but the other idea I think have possibilities, because already are pinned apps in the taskbar and today we dont have access to the frecuent used apps

That's exactly it. It needs some streamlining. Your design is doing too many different things at once, and that doesn't work out too well.

This is a perfect example of why you don't get "choice" in operating systems, and why you don't get to switch between the Start Menu, Start Screen, and somewhere in between in Windows 8. It's a kludgy feeling.

#14 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 08 March 2013 - 22:29

Love love the taskbar! I'd buy that app :D

Start Menu, don't like the large icons. Desktop don't like the Metro blocks, like regular icons just need to be easily customizable. All icons should be. Microsoft refuses, lol. No icon replacement tools for Windows 8 yet. Microangelo's context menu handler breaks Metro App hyperlinks for some odd reason. Waiting ...

Nice effort though. Really, I love the taskbar.

#15 OP gahfe

gahfe

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2013 - 22:29

dot matrix but the idea is not to choice, they are 2 different concepts

one with start menu, in this I'm a little agree with you, for this reason I believe microsoft drops start menu out and is ok, could be confusing for some guys

but the other is an completely different concept and idea without start button is like powerup taskbar

MorganX thanks!