Full PS4 specs, console and controller

To visualize the GPU performance in terms of TFLOP/s only (current prices from Scan):

0.69 TFLOP/s - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (?80)

0.81 TFLOP/s - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (?80)

1.40 TFLOP/s - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (?292)

1.42 TFLOP/s - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (?108)

1.58 TFLOP/s - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (?384)

1.76 TFLOP/s - AMD Radeon HD 7850 (?127)

1.84 TFLOP/s - AMD chip inside PlayStation 4

1.88 TFLOP/s - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (?168)

2.01 TFLOP/s - AMD Radeon HD 6870

2.45 TFLOP/s - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (?214)

2.45 TFLOP/s - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (?286)

2.48 TFLOP/s - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 (?360)

2.56 TFLOP/s - AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition (?180)

2.70 TFLOP/s - AMD Radeon HD 6970

2.86 TFLOP/s - AMD Radeon HD 7950 (?220)

2.99 TFLOP/s - AMD Radeon HD 7870 "Tahiti LE" (?180)

3.09 TFLOP/s - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (?360)

3.78 TFLOP/s - AMD Radeon HD 7970 (?297)

5.62 TFLOP/s - GeForce GTX 690 (?760)

seriously looks just like xbox 360 and PS3 I don't see anything better

What were you expecting? Be realistic when you answer.

So the graphic card isnt much better than my GTX650Ti?

I thought it would be way more powerful

I've just started pc gaming, think ill upgrade my rig and stick with PC.

Exciting times though. I know that if i have money I will probably end up buying a ps4 because my friends will have them :laugh:

seriously looks just like xbox 360 and PS3 I don't see anything better

Well at least it will be HD, now, most PS3 game are not even in HD, they use LOWER THAN HD resolution upscale to 720p and most of the time framerate sucks between 20 and 30

So the graphic card isnt much better than my GTX650Ti?

<snip>

It's not quite as simple as that.

The PS3 has what is essentially a triple-core 3.2 GHz CPU with a top-end 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7-series (2005-06) video card and 256 MB XDR DRAM. If you have a PC with that hardware, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the graphics quality the PS3 has managed to push out.

Expect the same kind of thing to happen with the PS4.

The PS3 has what is essentially a triple-core 3.2 GHz CPU with a top-end 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7-series (2005-06) video card and 256 MB XDR DRAM. If you have a PC with that hardware, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the graphics quality the PS3 has managed to push out.

Bingo! People seem to forget that their PC has a ton of overhead to compute along with the game they're running. Consoles skip all that overhead and the game speaks directly with the hardware. There's very little middleman involved, which means it can muster out a crap ton more performance than a PC with similar specs. For a PC to push out the same graphical prowess as the PS4, you WILL need a higher end system because your PC has to run Windows/OS X/Linux WHILE running a game on top of it. You might say PS4 games don't look all that great right now and you'd be correct. Compare Uncharted 1 vs Uncharted 3. If Uncharted 3 level graphics were displayed at PS3 launch, everyone would have flipped out.

thanks for the explanation

hence the ?

I doubted it was that simple which is why I asked it as a question :)

I'm not expecting huge graphical leaps, but more so graphical refinement. I expect higher framerates, tessalation, better physics and more particles. That's really it. Hopefully developers spend more time on animation as well. How well things move in the game is way more important than how high poly or resolution the textures are.

I'm not expecting huge graphical leaps, but more so graphical refinement. I expect higher framerates, tessalation, better physics and more particles. That's really it. Hopefully developers spend more time on animation as well. How well things move in the game is way more important than how high poly or resolution the textures are.

It's hard to see any difference though with high poly counts now. Once you reach a certain level, there isn't too much more that can be done that will be something as noticable as the leap from like ps1 to ps2, or even ps2 to ps3. Sure, things will get smoother, but thats really it. There is a plateau you reach with polygons, to where it gets harder and harder to see a real difference. But yes, they can do more with lighting, shadows, animation, and AI.

Bingo! People seem to forget that their PC has a ton of overhead to compute along with the game they're running. Consoles skip all that overhead and the game speaks directly with the hardware. There's very little middleman involved, which means it can muster out a crap ton more performance than a PC with similar specs. For a PC to push out the same graphical prowess as the PS4, you WILL need a higher end system because your PC has to run Windows/OS X/Linux WHILE running a game on top of it. You might say PS4 games don't look all that great right now and you'd be correct. Compare Uncharted 1 vs Uncharted 3. If Uncharted 3 level graphics were displayed at PS3 launch, everyone would have flipped out.

PS4 will be running linux. It's a customized locked down pc running an open source os.

Funny world we live in.

PS4 will be running linux. It's a customized locked down pc running an open source os.

Funny world we live in.

Hopefully sony has a ton of security. Doesn't seem very difficult to grab the OS and port it to a pc with similar specs.

I don't want to hear from all the PC guys. We understand that the PC can do absurd resolutions, but consoles are made FOR TVs. The max resolution that majority of people have is 1080p. The hardware is built to max out anything at 1080p and still be reasonably priced. Im pretty sure they didn't just pick the graphics chip type out of their ass and said hey lets develop around this. Im positive they maxed the **** out of this thing and it still flew. The CPU is also enough to do every and all the physics.

A lot of games on the PS3 and Xbox360 ran even lower than 720p resolution then upscaled,so consumers are going to see a huge huge improvement.

It's hard to see any difference though with high poly counts now. Once you reach a certain level, there isn't too much more that can be done that will be something as noticable as the leap from like ps1 to ps2, or even ps2 to ps3. Sure, things will get smoother, but thats really it. There is a plateau you reach with polygons, to where it gets harder and harder to see a real difference. But yes, they can do more with lighting, shadows, animation, and AI.

I think we're still a while from that plateau.

I want much less load times.

I wouldn't expect those to improve much, if at all. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if they got a bit worse.

I think we're still a while from that plateau.

I wouldn't expect those to improve much, if at all. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if they got a bit worse.

it's not going to be worse, the ram is faster and the Blu-Ray drive has faster read speeds.

Not by much though. 26MB/s which is minuscule when the ram can read at 176GB/s. I'm hoping with the second processor it will be able to do background installs while you are playing instead of having to do a massive install before you can even play the game to boost load times.

it's not going to be worse, the ram is faster and the Blu-ray drive has faster read speeds.

The capacity of the ram has also increased very significantly. They wont be loading up only a couple hundred MB of data at once any more. Is the speed up of the optical drive enough to match that? I'm not so sure.

it's not going to be worse, the ram is faster and the Blu-ray drive has faster read speeds.

yeah but dont forget the games are going to be larger in size as well. unless a lot of the game is installed to the hard drive the Blu ray will be a bottle neck

Not by much though. 26MB/s which is minuscule when the ram can read at 176GB/s. I'm hoping with the second processor it will be able to do background installs while you are playing instead of having to do a massive install before you can even play the game to boost load times.

The capacity of the ram has also increased very significantly. They wont be loading up only a couple hundred MB of data at once any more. Is the speed up of the optical drive enough to match that? I'm not so sure.

yeah but dont forget the games are going to be larger in size as well. unless a lot of the game is installed to the hard drive the Blu ray will be a bottle neck

Games are going to stealth install to the HDD as some of the newer PS3 games did, the PS4 has 176GB/s what did the PS3 have?

PS3 XDR RAM had 22GB/s data rate and a 2x Blu-ray drive that read at 9MB/s

PS4 has GDDR5 at 176GB/s and 6x Blu-ray at 26MB/s

9x the bandwidth but only 3x the theoretical read speed. Without having games on flash media I don't think there is any way round load times.

Games are going to stealth install to the HDD as some of the newer PS3 games did, the PS4 has 176GB/s what did the PS3 have?

the hard drive wont be reading at 176GB per second, before it can be put into the RAM it has to come from the hard drive or the Bluray

the hard drive wont be reading at 176GB per second, before it can be put into the RAM it has to come from the hard drive or the Bluray

I never said or assumed that, the original argument was the load times was going to be worse due to the graphical leap but with the HDD specs not being disclosed we don't know, Sony could go with 7200 RPM drives this time since its dirt cheap and it will still be a small increase in load speeds but not worse, all i'm trying to put across is the load times will improve but not skyrocket. :rofl: