• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 21 February 2013 - 20:44

So the graphic card isnt much better than my GTX650Ti?
<snip>

It's not quite as simple as that.

The PS3 has what is essentially a triple-core 3.2 GHz CPU with a top-end 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7-series (2005-06) video card and 256 MB XDR DRAM. If you have a PC with that hardware, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the graphics quality the PS3 has managed to push out.

Expect the same kind of thing to happen with the PS4.

#32 Kimleng

Kimleng

Neowinian

Posted 21 February 2013 - 21:23

The PS3 has what is essentially a triple-core 3.2 GHz CPU with a top-end 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7-series (2005-06) video card and 256 MB XDR DRAM. If you have a PC with that hardware, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the graphics quality the PS3 has managed to push out.

Bingo! People seem to forget that their PC has a ton of overhead to compute along with the game they're running. Consoles skip all that overhead and the game speaks directly with the hardware. There's very little middleman involved, which means it can muster out a crap ton more performance than a PC with similar specs. For a PC to push out the same graphical prowess as the PS4, you WILL need a higher end system because your PC has to run Windows/OS X/Linux WHILE running a game on top of it. You might say PS4 games don't look all that great right now and you'd be correct. Compare Uncharted 1 vs Uncharted 3. If Uncharted 3 level graphics were displayed at PS3 launch, everyone would have flipped out.

#33 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 21 February 2013 - 22:08

thanks for the explanation
hence the ?
I doubted it was that simple which is why I asked it as a question :)

#34 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:41

Why would they, they didn't from ps2 to ps3???

They went from $49.99 to $59.99 this gen. And $39.99 for PS1 games, iirc

#35 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 22 February 2013 - 22:46

I'm not expecting huge graphical leaps, but more so graphical refinement. I expect higher framerates, tessalation, better physics and more particles. That's really it. Hopefully developers spend more time on animation as well. How well things move in the game is way more important than how high poly or resolution the textures are.

#36 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 22 February 2013 - 22:53

I'm not expecting huge graphical leaps, but more so graphical refinement. I expect higher framerates, tessalation, better physics and more particles. That's really it. Hopefully developers spend more time on animation as well. How well things move in the game is way more important than how high poly or resolution the textures are.

It's hard to see any difference though with high poly counts now. Once you reach a certain level, there isn't too much more that can be done that will be something as noticable as the leap from like ps1 to ps2, or even ps2 to ps3. Sure, things will get smoother, but thats really it. There is a plateau you reach with polygons, to where it gets harder and harder to see a real difference. But yes, they can do more with lighting, shadows, animation, and AI.

#37 Dazog

Dazog

No One Touches the Stache

Posted 22 February 2013 - 23:05

Bingo! People seem to forget that their PC has a ton of overhead to compute along with the game they're running. Consoles skip all that overhead and the game speaks directly with the hardware. There's very little middleman involved, which means it can muster out a crap ton more performance than a PC with similar specs. For a PC to push out the same graphical prowess as the PS4, you WILL need a higher end system because your PC has to run Windows/OS X/Linux WHILE running a game on top of it. You might say PS4 games don't look all that great right now and you'd be correct. Compare Uncharted 1 vs Uncharted 3. If Uncharted 3 level graphics were displayed at PS3 launch, everyone would have flipped out.

PS4 will be running linux. It's a customized locked down pc running an open source os.

Funny world we live in.

#38 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 23:16

PS4 will be running linux. It's a customized locked down pc running an open source os.

Funny world we live in.

Hopefully sony has a ton of security. Doesn't seem very difficult to grab the OS and port it to a pc with similar specs.

#39 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 22 February 2013 - 23:59

I don't want to hear from all the PC guys. We understand that the PC can do absurd resolutions, but consoles are made FOR TVs. The max resolution that majority of people have is 1080p. The hardware is built to max out anything at 1080p and still be reasonably priced. Im pretty sure they didn't just pick the graphics chip type out of their ass and said hey lets develop around this. Im positive they maxed the **** out of this thing and it still flew. The CPU is also enough to do every and all the physics.

A lot of games on the PS3 and Xbox360 ran even lower than 720p resolution then upscaled,so consumers are going to see a huge huge improvement.

#40 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:10

It has no HARDCORE NVIDIA TITAN!!!!

epicsadface.png

#41 sundayx

sundayx

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:16

I want much less load times.

#42 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:32

It's hard to see any difference though with high poly counts now. Once you reach a certain level, there isn't too much more that can be done that will be something as noticable as the leap from like ps1 to ps2, or even ps2 to ps3. Sure, things will get smoother, but thats really it. There is a plateau you reach with polygons, to where it gets harder and harder to see a real difference. But yes, they can do more with lighting, shadows, animation, and AI.

I think we're still a while from that plateau.

I want much less load times.

I wouldn't expect those to improve much, if at all. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if they got a bit worse.

#43 Aaron Olive

Aaron Olive

2011 27" iMac

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:34

I think we're still a while from that plateau.

I wouldn't expect those to improve much, if at all. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if they got a bit worse.

it's not going to be worse, the ram is faster and the Blu-Ray drive has faster read speeds.

#44 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:44

Not by much though. 26MB/s which is minuscule when the ram can read at 176GB/s. I'm hoping with the second processor it will be able to do background installs while you are playing instead of having to do a massive install before you can even play the game to boost load times.

#45 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:45

it's not going to be worse, the ram is faster and the Blu-ray drive has faster read speeds.

The capacity of the ram has also increased very significantly. They wont be loading up only a couple hundred MB of data at once any more. Is the speed up of the optical drive enough to match that? I'm not so sure.