Photo

Full PS4 specs, console and controller

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:46

it's not going to be worse, the ram is faster and the Blu-ray drive has faster read speeds.

yeah but dont forget the games are going to be larger in size as well. unless a lot of the game is installed to the hard drive the Blu ray will be a bottle neck

#47 Aaron Olive

Aaron Olive

2011 27" iMac

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:18

Not by much though. 26MB/s which is minuscule when the ram can read at 176GB/s. I'm hoping with the second processor it will be able to do background installs while you are playing instead of having to do a massive install before you can even play the game to boost load times.

The capacity of the ram has also increased very significantly. They wont be loading up only a couple hundred MB of data at once any more. Is the speed up of the optical drive enough to match that? I'm not so sure.

yeah but dont forget the games are going to be larger in size as well. unless a lot of the game is installed to the hard drive the Blu ray will be a bottle neck

Games are going to stealth install to the HDD as some of the newer PS3 games did, the PS4 has 176GB/s what did the PS3 have?

#48 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:30

PS3 XDR RAM had 22GB/s data rate and a 2x Blu-ray drive that read at 9MB/s

PS4 has GDDR5 at 176GB/s and 6x Blu-ray at 26MB/s

9x the bandwidth but only 3x the theoretical read speed. Without having games on flash media I don't think there is any way round load times.

#49 dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:42

Games are going to stealth install to the HDD as some of the newer PS3 games did, the PS4 has 176GB/s what did the PS3 have?

the hard drive wont be reading at 176GB per second, before it can be put into the RAM it has to come from the hard drive or the Bluray

#50 Aaron Olive

Aaron Olive

2011 27" iMac

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:54

the hard drive wont be reading at 176GB per second, before it can be put into the RAM it has to come from the hard drive or the Bluray

I never said or assumed that, the original argument was the load times was going to be worse due to the graphical leap but with the HDD specs not being disclosed we don't know, Sony could go with 7200 RPM drives this time since its dirt cheap and it will still be a small increase in load speeds but not worse, all i'm trying to put across is the load times will improve but not skyrocket. :rofl:

#51 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:05

PS3 XDR RAM had 22GB/s data rate and a 2x Blu-ray drive that read at 9MB/s

PS4 has GDDR5 at 176GB/s and 6x Blu-ray at 26MB/s

9x the bandwidth but only 3x the theoretical read speed. Without having games on flash media I don't think there is any way round load times.

I hope the PS4 supports SSD storage. I imagine games would load almost instantaneously on a fast SSD.

#52 dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:08

I never said or assumed that, the original argument was the load times was going to be worse due to the graphical leap but with the HDD specs not being disclosed we don't know, Sony could go with 7200 RPM drives this time since its dirt cheap and it will still be a small increase in load speeds but not worse, all i'm trying to put across is the load times will improve but not skyrocket. :rofl:

i guess in the end it will be a case of, when its out we shall know.

#53 Aaron Olive

Aaron Olive

2011 27" iMac

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:13

I hope the PS4 supports SSD storage. I imagine games would load almost instantaneously on a fast SSD.

The PS3 did sort of, people were reporting quite substantial gains in GT5 http://www.gtplanet....s3-ssd-upgrade/

i guess in the end it will be a case of, when its out we shall know.

yup 4 months till E3, 9 till the PS4. :)

#54 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:29

It has no HARDCORE NVIDIA TITAN!!!!

epicsadface.png

That idiotic thing costs more than console.

#55 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:32

It will support it but won't come with one. If they are pushing game recording and digital downloads its almost certainly going to be a 2.5" drive of at least 500Gb, hopefully 7200rpm.

#56 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:38

It will support it but won't come with one. If they are pushing game recording and digital downloads its almost certainly going to be a 2.5" drive of at least 500Gb, hopefully 7200rpm.

Yeah. It makes sense to opt for larger storage over faster read/write speeds. It better be a 7200 RPM drive.