• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:58

*cough*Kinect*cough* :p

#3 DPyro

DPyro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:23

*cough*Kinect*cough* :p

Um no, the PS Eye has existed since PS2. This is just the evolution of the technology.

#4 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:28

Um no, the PS Eye has existed since PS2. This is just the evolution of the technology.

For some people, nothing existed before Kinect. Not even webcams.

#5 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:36

Uh.. If my :p didn't make it obvious, I was merely making fun of the uncanny kinetic resemblance! I know that ps2 had a webcam but not sure if it had depth sensor like this one appears to have.

#6 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:59

Uh.. If my :p didn't make it obvious, I was merely making fun of the uncanny kinetic resemblance! I know that ps2 had a webcam but not sure if it had depth sensor like this one appears to have.

Posted Image

http://www.myce.com/...ect-does-33111/

#7 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:03

Posted Image

http://www.myce.com/...ect-does-33111/

?

#8 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:05

?

Showing that the PSEye (ps3 version) had depth sensing, and that the hardware was actually better than Kinect. Kinect had it in built-in software, hackability, and marketing.

#9 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:09

Showing that the PSEye (ps3 version) had depth sensing, and that the hardware was actually better than Kinect. Kinect had it in built-in software, hackability, and marketing.

What you quoted doesn't have anything that says a depth sensor, Kinect uses an IR sensor for it, not sure if Eye has it.

#10 PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 1020)

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:29

The Eye has no depth sensor and Kinect 2.0 is better than the new Eye

#11 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:53

Console launches. Here come the fanboys.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:55

You do know the difference between z depth and bit color depth don't you? Let me answer that for you, no you don't.

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:06

And yes, this has two cameras allowing for stereoscopic depth. Not terribly accurate and very limited in how many steps it can sense and it degrades with distance.

The kinect has a camera for the actual visual part, and then it has an ir camera sensor and a special ir diode that shoots out a funny dot pattern. The ir camera can with some kind of Doppler or interference thing fully and accurately depth map anything in front of it from this dot pattern.

Just for the record. So while Sony has upgraded the eye, they're still not taking it seriously as a controller less control. And you will still require something like the wand globe to accurately measure depth and to control the games. Whereas the kinect2's depth sensor will be ale to accurately see each of your fingers and their actual shape, as you how you are holding them. While the Sony sensor while it might see the fingers, it won't be able to see the depth of each finger, limiting its potential.

But then Sony won't abandon their stance that you need a controller and admit MS did it better. And for certain things they where right, last gen, just not for the kind of games people wanted to play with this kind of technology anyway. As those where generally games that would have been better as pure controller games.

I think we'll see Sony simply pushing this technology back to where they had it on the PS2. A toy, while they focus on controller games, and let MS and Nintendo had this market.

#14 OP compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 21 February 2013 - 17:52

Console launches. Here come the fanboys.

Seems like some of the haters got the jump on the fanboys.

#15 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:35

And yes, this has two cameras allowing for stereoscopic depth. Not terribly accurate and very limited in how many steps it can sense and it degrades with distance.

The kinect has a camera for the actual visual part, and then it has an ir camera sensor and a special ir diode that shoots out a funny dot pattern. The ir camera can with some kind of Doppler or interference thing fully and accurately depth map anything in front of it from this dot pattern.

Just for the record. So while Sony has upgraded the eye, they're still not taking it seriously as a controller less control. And you will still require something like the wand globe to accurately measure depth and to control the games. Whereas the kinect2's depth sensor will be ale to accurately see each of your fingers and their actual shape, as you how you are holding them. While the Sony sensor while it might see the fingers, it won't be able to see the depth of each finger, limiting its potential.

But then Sony won't abandon their stance that you need a controller and admit MS did it better. And for certain things they where right, last gen, just not for the kind of games people wanted to play with this kind of technology anyway. As those where generally games that would have been better as pure controller games.

I think we'll see Sony simply pushing this technology back to where they had it on the PS2. A toy, while they focus on controller games, and let MS and Nintendo had this market.

Sony have shown they are sticking with the Move controller and in all honesty I'm fine with this. The controller worked well "most" of the time and I feel when it didn't it was more related to the camera than the controller, so if this new one is an upgrade and doesn't make things look like something from the 80s VGA era on my TV when attempting AR games then I will be happy.

It got panned but Book of Spells was actually really cool in the way it worked, what wasn't good was the poor camera resolution jarringly reminding you of it's shortfalls.