• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:06

So, I finally did it. And I'm very happy with the upgrade. :D

I went from this (BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300):

Posted Image

To this (HTC 8S):

Posted Image

I'm a huge fan of Android and BlackBerry. I told myself my next phone would either be a BB10 device or an Android one. I knew about Windows Phone even before the launch of WP7 but it wasn't until recently that I took it seriously. And the more I researched it (WP8), the more I liked it. It's not perfect but it offers enough to fit my needs. If you're on the fence about WP8, then you should definitely go into a store and play around with it. It really is an awesome mobile OS (and perhaps even the most elegant-looking one too).

Now, the only issue I have so far with WP8 is the way it handles contacts. I added my Microsoft ID and it synced all my Outlook contacts. The vast majority of them are people that I've added years ago, most of whom I haven't spoken to since. A contact cleanup was long overdue but I'm not looking forward to deleting contacts one by one on my phone. Fortunately, I can check off a bunch of them on Outlook to delete them in a more efficient manner.

Aside from that small issue, I'm quite happy with the device. The internal storage is low (at 4 GB) and I'm fine with it. I have an 8 GB microSD card for pictures, music, and videos. I could have gone for a higher-end model like the HTC 8X or Nokia Lumia 920 but I figured I'd go cheap now to spend more later (e.g. next wave of WP devices). The reason I say that is because I desperately needed to upgrade from my BB Curve. The tiny screen, extremely low internal storage, and low RAM made for an unpleasant experience.

#2 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:12

Nice, dude! Glad that you like it! (Y)

#3 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:16

Big jump. Nice choice though.

#4 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 23 February 2013 - 17:57

Nice, I like my 8X a lot but I saw a 8S in the shop and it also feels nice in the hand.

#5 Manish

Manish

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:32

The 8S looks so nice. Anyways, enjoy.

#6 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:34

As soon as I can convince myself I need a smartphone I'll be on the WP bandwagon.
I just can't justify having one right now. No need for it in the place I live :(

#7 illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:36

"Now, the only issue I have so far with WP8 is the way it handles contacts. I added my Microsoft ID and it synced all my Outlook contacts. The vast majority of them are people that I've added years ago, most of whom I haven't spoken to since. A contact cleanup was long overdue but I'm not looking forward to deleting contacts one by one on my phone. Fortunately, I can check off a bunch of them on Outlook to delete them in a more efficient manner."

settings > people > filter my contact list

#8 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:08

Nice, dude! Glad that you like it! (Y)

Thanks Barney. :)

Big jump. Nice choice though.

A huge jump, haha. I'm so glad I upgraded. :)

Nice, I like my 8X a lot but I saw a 8S in the shop and it also feels nice in the hand.

I haven't tried the 8X yet. I'm curious to see how it compares to the 8S.

The 8S looks so nice. Anyways, enjoy.

Agreed! :D

As soon as I can convince myself I need a smartphone I'll be on the WP bandwagon.
I just can't justify having one right now. No need for it in the place I live :(

Which phone are you using right now? The older it is, the more reason you have to upgrade.

"Now, the only issue I have so far with WP8 is the way it handles contacts. I added my Microsoft ID and it synced all my Outlook contacts. The vast majority of them are people that I've added years ago, most of whom I haven't spoken to since. A contact cleanup was long overdue but I'm not looking forward to deleting contacts one by one on my phone. Fortunately, I can check off a bunch of them on Outlook to delete them in a more efficient manner."

settings > people > filter my contact list

That's the very first thing I tried and it didn't work. When I added new contact with the filter on, it gave me a message saying the contact will be hidden (but search-able). I read somewhere that you lose the ability to add plain phone contacts as soon as you tie a Microsoft ID to your device. I deleted the unnecessary contacts though. And now, I won't have to worry about adding those contacts again if I use a different WP8 device or my phone gets wiped.

#9 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:26

Congratulations. I hope you really enjoy it.

#10 alphaomegainfinity

alphaomegainfinity

Nebulous Matter

• Phone: Galaxy S II

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:17

Congratulations. Enjoy your Windows Phone :)

#11 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:27

Congratulations on your new Windows Phone. I haven't moved up to WP8 yet.. still waiting on MS to fix Xbox Music.

#12 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 25 February 2013 - 18:13

Congratulations, I am sure you will love it.
As I always tell new WP users, when in doubt just press and hold. :p

That's the very first thing I tried and it didn't work. When I added new contact with the filter on, it gave me a message saying the contact will be hidden (but search-able). I read somewhere that you lose the ability to add plain phone contacts as soon as you tie a Microsoft ID to your device. I deleted the unnecessary contacts though. And now, I won't have to worry about adding those contacts again if I use a different WP8 device or my phone gets wiped.

It is worth the efforts to have at least one online account with a proper contact list. I have been jumping through different work phones and just adding my MS account would do the trick.

#13 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 25 February 2013 - 18:20

A number of nokias here apps are now up for all windows phone 8 devices as of today if you live in one of the announced markets. I wish I could get them as well but it seems like my country gets the short end of the stick yet again.

#14 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:30

Congratulations, I am sure you will love it.
As I always tell new WP users, when in doubt just press and hold. :p

It is worth the efforts to have at least one online account with a proper contact list. I have been jumping through different work phones and just adding my MS account would do the trick.

Good advice and luckily for me, I learned it fairly quickly. At first I didn't like my cluttered contacts list from Outlook.com but after I cleaned it, I'm quite happy with how it works. I can edit a contact on Outlook.com and it would change on my phone.

A number of nokias here apps are now up for all windows phone 8 devices as of today if you live in one of the announced markets. I wish I could get them as well but it seems like my country gets the short end of the stick yet again.

Yep! I read the article about Nokia's HERE apps on the front page. At first, I didn't think it was Nokia's exclusive WP8 apps rebranded. And once I realized it, I smiled and nodded. Their apps are top-notch. I have the HERE Maps, Drive, and Transit apps installed. I was curious about the HERE City Lens app but I couldn't find it. I'm guessing it's still a Nokia exclusive.

Unfortunately, those apps aren't compatible with WP7/7.5/7.8. I really hope Nokia releases a compatible version of these app. They're great and it would be a good way to show that WP7 (or at least WP7.8) isn't completely dead.

#15 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:34

Welcome to the dark side :alien: