Photo

Does WP8 Have Replacement Apps for their Counterparts on Android?

apps replacement wp8

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:02

I'm guessing sooner or later Nokia will "port" over the Counters app.

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:05

It sucks that Data Sense requires carrier support. It's such a useful tool for people that don't have an unlimited data plan. It doesn't look like my carrier supports it because I can't find the app in the Windows Phone store. Fortunately, my data plan is unlimited with a fair usage policy that limits you to 5 GB for full-speed access. It would still be nice to know how much data I use per month.

I thought Data Sense shows up under settings if it is available.

#18 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:11

I don't really need Data Sense either because I get unlimited data on my contract but it would be nice if MS did more to encourage mobile companies to support this and visual voicemail. It's not much good offering these features if nobody can use them. I don't really understand why Data Sense needs carrier support but it seems like MS should avoid making anything reliant on that support if it's so hard to guarantee.

#19 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:14

I thought Data Sense shows up under settings if it is available.

You're right. It's supposed to show up there. For some reason, I thought I might find it in the WP store in case my carrier didn't pre-install it.

#20 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:17

Windows Phone is not really an OS to buy to tinker around with like that.

You can't browse the filesystem, but you can sideload apps if they're signed.

Ouch. Any thoughts of getting WP8 are now gone for me. It's not that I need it or use its functionality on a regular basis, but I want the option for the times that I do need it.

And why is there not a standard data usage monitoring app? That seems odd today, given the varying data plan options.

#21 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:44

Ouch. Any thoughts of getting WP8 are now gone for me. It's not that I need it or use its functionality on a regular basis, but I want the option for the times that I do need it.

What times are those? Given the way the phone works, I can't think of a single reason why I need file system access. If I need access to a file I just open the app that's associated with that file.

#22 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:44

Nokia Counter isn't available for WP8 >.>

Also, as best I'm aware, you can't get into the FS on WP8. You could on WP7, I don't think you can on WP8.

And what Jakem1 said.

#23 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:55

There's definitely file support built into the OS, but I'm not sure just how robust it is. Theoretically you can read files off of the SD card though, so I'd imagine you could create a file manager for the SD card, too. I haven't played around with the SDK enough to be certain though.

#24 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:40

WP is designed to be like iOS - for better or worse it is NOT a poweruser phone. I'm a power user, and i simply don't "poweruse" my WP (no custom skins, no homebrew tools, etc)

If you want your phone to be what YOU want, not what they say you want, then you have to go android - no two ways about it.

Having said all that, i have a Lumia 920, and i absolutely love it :D The OS is silky smooth, the screen is incredible, and with heavy use it still lasts a day! (no...not with whatsapp, cos thats written like horse -.-)

#25 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:46

Here's what I know:

• Data usage: WP8 has an app called Data Sense. Unfortunately, you won't be able to find the app on your phone if your carrier doesn't support it.
  • Maps: WP8 has a maps app but Nokia's one is even better: Nokia Maps. I'd love to use it myself but it's exclusive to Nokia devices.
  • Office: Office Hub. :)
  • Pocket Tanks: You can find a bunch of tank games here.
  • Transporter Help: Rail Planner.
  • SoundHound: SoundHound.

I haven't tried Nokia's maps because I have a HTC phone, but MS's map app is pretty fantastic, too. Hopefully my next phone will be a Nokia and then I can use some of these famed apps that they have.

#26 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 24 February 2013 - 13:15

The built in Bing maps are getting updated with more and more data from Nokia maps often. There were updates to maps, offline as well, a week ago iirc.

#27 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

Posted 24 February 2013 - 18:21

Thanks for the replies, given me lots of thought points.
My carrier is Tesco (the supermarket - it's a great deal!), but they use the O2 Signal. However luckily, I can call them to see how my allowance is going, although I can choose to cap the contract so I never go over on data anyway.

Does WP8 allow you to "hide" certain apps? For instance I'd like to be able to hide, or delete the "help and tips" app I saw on the Lumia 820. It will just clutter the app drawer for something that I won't really want or use.

Is there any specific reason you need access to the filesystem? Windows Phone is not really an OS to buy to tinker around with like that.

I guess it was to back up apps I like.

But then saying that, I don't really tinker with Andriod. I guess I like it's customizational approach (yes, I know it isn't a real word!). I wasn't too impressed with the live tiles but I am sure it would be something I get used to in the end.

I'm guessing you can set any music file as a ringtone or message tone? On the demo phone I played with, I didn't see that option, but then I didn't find any music either!

#28 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 18:40

You can't really hide apps but you can delete them and (obviously) reinstall them from the Store if you want them back again.

#29 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 24 February 2013 - 21:34

I'm guessing you can set any music file as a ringtone or message tone? On the demo phone I played with, I didn't see that option, but then I didn't find any music either!

yes, you can use any music file as a ringtone (not sure personally where to go on the device itself but if you plug the phone into a computer just drag any music file to the ringtone folder and you can then use it)

#30 NateB1

NateB1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 21:38

The phone itself doesn't have a file manager, but when you open it on a PC, you can see various folders on the phone - Photos, Videos, Music, Documents, etc., and drag and drop files there. If you drag Music to the Music folder, you'll see it in the Music hub on the phone, same with Pictures, etc., etc.