How to get favicon work on both Retina and standard?

Question

I'm trying to get Retina favicon work on high resolution screen like Retina macbook pro and getting the ico showing up on a standard screen. If I put the favicon.ico in there then the high rez will not show up on my Retina macbook pro but if I take out the ico then it does not show up on standard screen.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/favicon.ico" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="http://www.romabio.com/images/retina-logo.png" />

[/CODE]

4 answers to this question

Got a work around for this. If you want to get a high resolution version on the ICO then add a height and width to the short ico meta tag. Example below!

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="url link" style="height: 128px; width: 128px;" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="url link" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="url link" />

[/CODE]

Unfortunately you'll have to use an ico file (With at least 16x16 and 32x32), I'm not sure any browser supports the standard method for it currently.

Got a work around for this. If you want to get a high resolution version on the ICO then add a height and width to the short ico meta tag. Example below!

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="url link" style="height: 128px; width: 128px;" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="url link" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="url link" />

[/CODE]

Does that actually work? In what browser?

If you want to specify a size you use the "sizes" attribute, CSS is meaningless for this.