How do i find my cd key win 8 laptop

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Hitman2000

Hitman2000

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:29

Ok I got a new zenbook ux31a recently

I decided to do a fresh install of windows 8 and to delete the recovery partition.

however once I did that I realise there is no sticker with the cd key like in the past.

how do I activate my windows 8?

edit
*title should be win 8...

#2 droidkid

droidkid

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:59

The key is "injected" into the Computers UEFI. All you have to do in get a copy of a windows 8/pro DVD and re-install it. Windows will detect the key upon installation and will activate upon having a network connection.

Source: I dealt with this issue a handful of times and on my own notebook as well.

#3 OP Hitman2000

Hitman2000

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:15

The key is "injected" into the Computers UEFI. All you have to do in get a copy of a windows 8/pro DVD and re-install it. Windows will detect the key upon installation and will activate upon having a network connection.

Source: I dealt with this issue a handful of times and on my own notebook as well.

hmm but when I installed windows 8
it asked me to put in a key and even when I connect to the internet it didn't activate anything.

#4 dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:16

I dont have anything to add other than this is true.

#5 OP Hitman2000

Hitman2000

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:35

btw I should mention I used this method :

http://superuser.com...he-machine-cant

I think I must of accidently turned of the UEFI

because now when I renable the security features and CSM
its just boots back into the bio and my ssd is not detected...

#6 dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:49

try resetting the BIOS back to defaults
i had this problem once before on a clients computer... cant remember how i fixed it sorry

#7 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:23

Firstly, why would you delete the recovery partition.
Secondly, why would you delete the recovery partition without burning the recovery disks.
Thirdly call Asus

#8 Kelxin

Kelxin

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:31

I've worked on a couple of these machines.

A) No, there is no CoA under the battery, under the motherboard, on the bottom, etc etc etc.
B) No, many of these machines don't have the serial number built into the UEFI, I've tried UEFI installs, and legacy installs to no avail of retrieving the serial number.
C) He probably wiped the recovery partition because it has a small (120GB or so) SSD in it, and the recovery partition is sucking down 20+ GB.
D) The only 2 ways that I've found to get the serial number is to grab it with something PRIOR to wiping the machine (I use Produkey x64) or by calling the OEM directly if you've already wiped.
E) There was ONE machine that had the CoA on the power plug (wierdest place in the world to have on IMO)

#9 jumbochilli

jumbochilli

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:21

Have you looked at your adapter, I have ux31e ultrabook and it's windows product key was on the adapter block?

Cheers
J.C

#10 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:23

I set up a Zenbook running Windows 7 a little while ago, and the product key was located on the Power Brick.

#11 Kelxin

Kelxin

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:25

Have you looked at your adapter, I have ux31e ultrabook and it's windows product key was on the adapter block?

Cheers
J.C

That was my E) recommendation from above.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:37

I set up a Zenbook running Windows 7 a little while ago, and the product key was located on the Power Brick.

Yeah, but windows 8 in general doesn't have keys on the OEM laptops. just the RFID Windows 8 sticker under the laptop.

#13 OP Hitman2000

Hitman2000

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:26

I looked on the power adapter, nothing there.

@ the others

the laptop has 128gb SSD after the recovery partitions and everything it was down to about 70 gigs of useable space
so I thought I could get some more free hdd space
not to mention I like doing a clean install because notebooks come with a lot of crap.

Ive done this countless times with my other laptops, but obviously im not up to date with the whole uefi, maybe I should get the electric chair?

everyone has done something stupid with computers without thinking it through 100%, this was one of those times..

#14 1941

Banned

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:36

Call the manufacturer or Microsoft. One of them will help you.

#15 YouWhat

YouWhat

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 4s IOS 6.1.2

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:56

Try a program called SIW (The home edition), it will give you the license keys of both office and windows.

http://www.gtopala.c...iw-download.php

I have used this myself several times to retrieve keys off machines.