1080? 1440(p?)?

Which of these monitors sizes should I get?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. 1080? 1440?

2. 2. What size monitor?

Right now I believe I am using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009145.When I do finally get a new computer I may pick http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb278q. Think the change from what I use now to what I may eventually get is overkill? Also if your curious as to my GPU, a 7970 with 3 GB of VRAM.

If you all wish to suggest other monitors fine but a few things:

- 23 - 27 inches (widescreen)

- At the very least the resolution should be 1080p

- DVI/VGA & HDMI

- I am colorblind (red-green), I don't know how much that would effect me being able to tell a difference between LED or not. Or TN/IPS

You should go with 1440p if you can at 27-inches, but note that it will be a hit in performance on your GPU compared to 1080p. And yes I believe being colorblind you will be able to still tell the difference of IPS over TN, especially in viewing angles

There are people on here who are knowledgeable about monitors, so I will let them offer you technical advice. But as far as size goes: I own a 27" and I can't imagine going back to anything smaller. I'd also recommend mounting your monitor on a wall if possible. It looks great and frees up desk space.

I think Dell make pretty amazing IPS monitors, but the 27" ones are pretty expensive. What kind of money were you looking at spending?

Hopefully less than $700 I'd think. I may play the games in 1080 but use the 1440 for other uses.

I'll assume you mean $700USD. For that you should be able to get one of those Dell 27" IPS monitors I mentioned.

Should definitely be able to get something like that for under $700 ... Bought my 55" LG 1080p HDTV that I use for my system for $800....

As an owner of a 27" 1440p screen - I would whole-heartedly recommend it!

Should definitely be able to get something like that for under $700 ... Bought my 55" LG 1080p HDTV that I use for my system for $800....

A TV is not comparable to a monitor.

Exactly, I was gonna say the same idea. 27 inch is small, I couldn't imagine playing games on something that small.

I play games in 3D on the big screen, also DualPlay. Gotta love LG.

It is too big for you to sit close to it to glance around. Sure, you use it in living room for movies or games ...

1080p on anything larger than 24" is horrendous. even a 24" 1080p is pushing it.

:huh:

I'm running 1080 on 27". I don't see this "horrendous" problem you speak of. :huh:

Gee, thanks, that cleared up everything. :rolleyes:

Massive pixels, it looks horrible once you're used to a higher DPI monitor (109 vs 82 DPI in this case, that's a 33% difference),

Honestly though, comparing a better monitor to your current one is the only way you'll notice this.

HDTV pixel pitch is horrible though, especially at 55", you aren't even talking about the same class of display as a true monitor.

1080p on anything larger than 24" is horrendous. even a 24" 1080p is pushing it.

Samsung Syncmaster 2494 here and is not bad. Yes, it could benefit with more Resolution, but since I use it for distant video and gaming I find it pretty amazing.

Now, regarding the post. Yeah, go 27" and 1440p.

I most likely don't and won't have the money for that, nor do I have the desk space for a 30. I am also quite certain that even 25-27 inches if pushing what my parents would like me to get, if anything - 'you already have a monitor, why get another'? is what they'd probaly say.