PS4 games to start at $99?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:40

Not sure if this is "guess" pricing but one of the 1st pre-orders is the Watch Dogs from Ubisoft.
However, Amazon has pre-order as $99.99 (Ps4 edition)
This doesn't even look like a special / collector's edition.

I wonder if this is the new price point that publishers are going to attempt next generation.
It's showing $60 for the other console's.

(Edit) Link for proof - http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sim_vg_1

#2 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:41

Must be guesstimate by Amazon.

#3 draklin

draklin

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:43

Please note that the current price on Watch Dogs for PlayStation 4 is a placeholder price until we receive more information from our first party and third party partners.

That is from the page you linked to so no, it will not be 99.99.

#4 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:52

Well if they are going to charge that kind of money for a single game, I see the PS4 going down the drain. No one in the right state of mind is going to pay that kind of money for a game.

#5 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:55

Of course they are not gonna charge $90 for a game. Sure, prices have risen but not to that level so sharply.

#6 Dreamspell

Dreamspell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:58

Your first #PS4 title is now up for pre-order.#Watch_Dogs. Pricing & release date are placeholders. More info soon.

Source: https://twitter.com/...425232482054144

#7 matt4pack

matt4pack

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:59

Games shouldn't even be close to what they are now which is why I don't game much anymore.

Movies that cost 200 hundred million to make are $20 and even if you throw in the theater price it's $30 but video games that cost maybe 5 million to make are $70?

#8 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:59

I checked ebgames, and realized those prices were in australia which makes sense, however this is seperate case (could be a typo that'll get corrected later when its ready to sell)

#9 sbauer

sbauer

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:03

Sony has already answered this question.

http://metro.co.uk/2...merica-3512761/

Sony America boss Jack Tretton has said that games for the PlayStation 4 will not see a price increase and will still cost $0.99 to $60.

#10 OP Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:04

@sbauer

Good info

#11 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:06

Games shouldn't even be close to what they are now which is why I don't game much anymore.

Movies that cost 200 hundred million to make are $20 and even if you throw in the theater price it's $30 but video games that cost maybe 5 million to make are $70? Something is very wrong there.

Exactly, and you don't hear the movie industry complaining about used dvd/bluray sales either, and disc versions are 20/30 dollars.
In the past they could make the argument that the market isn't as big for video games, so they have to charge more and restrict resale, but that's not true at all now
Price for games should be going down, but that's not how the market works anymore, it'll get to a point where something will snap.

#12 guitmz

guitmz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:10

you are lucky to live ouside Brazil.. here games costs like 60, 70, 80, even 90 or more USD if they are new (like just released).. some old titles can be found at 30 usd

#13 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:15

I remember when Shadows of the Empire came out on N64 in the USA and it was $79.95... and I thought that was outrageous and was the highest priced game I ever saw at time time

#14 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:18

I remember when Shadows of the Empire came out on N64 in the USA and it was $79.95... and I thought that was outrageous and was the highest priced game I ever saw at time time

wasn't the original Zelda game like $60 when if first came out too?
i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere. either way though, that shows prices for games really haven't changed all that much. and i doubt any radical changes will happen this generation either

#15 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:21

Movies that cost 200 hundred million to make are $20 and even if you throw in the theater price it's $30 but video games that cost maybe 5 million to make are $70?

BS. If you buy a DVD movie, after you watch it, it goes on your shelf and maybe you'll watch it again in a few years, and a lot of times, never again.

When you buy call of duty,how many times do you play it? online? it has massive replay value. its worth the price.

and theres also something called supply and demand. comparing video game prices to movie prices is absurd.

Exactly, and you don't hear the movie industry complaining about used dvd/bluray sales either, and disc versions are 20/30 dollars.
In the past they could make the argument that the market isn't as big for video games, so they have to charge more and restrict resale, but that's not true at all now
Price for games should be going down, but that's not how the market works anymore, it'll get to a point where something will snap.

if anything,game prices should be going up soon. games are getting more complex to make.