Photo

Why Does YouTube's throughput suck so bad?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Defiantly

Defiantly

In Vino Veritas!

• Phone: IPhone 4S

Posted 27 February 2013 - 18:17

Over the past few months I've grown more and more frustrated with YouTube. Regardless of the device or WiFi I use, the buffering and watch-ability is simply awful.

I've got an iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy tablet that connect to both my home and work WiFi Both experience the same laggy, it-plays-5-seconds-at-a-time between buffering. I was able to find a iOS app that lets me lower the resolution from HD to "Low". This helps a bit but I still encounter issues.

Anyone else have similar experiences/frustrations?

#2 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 February 2013 - 18:21

Yeah but I know its because its ******* Time Warner

#3 OP Defiantly

Defiantly

In Vino Veritas!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:20

I've had this issue with VerizonFIOS and Comcast ISPs. Also, and I probably should have mentioned this; Vimeo runs as smooth as butter in HD. No issues. It's gotta be YouTube. ...right?

#4 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 74
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:20

Nope never had issue one with youtube bandwidth

Do you have a specific video your having issues with you can link too? Some of the major ISP use their own caching server for youtube, that could be your problem?

I would rightclick on a video and get the info, what speed are you getting. I would also again from rightclick on video to a speedtest - what does that show?

speedtest.jpg

#5 Klownicle

Klownicle

I get a custom title? Sweett.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:24

REJECT/DROP 173.194.55.0/24
REJECT/DROP 206.111.0.0/16

(for the uninformed, /16 and /24 is not a range, but a subnet class) ie, 206.111.0.0 - 206.111.255.255 = /16)

Problem solved, was posted on reddit just this week. I did it myself and everything loads instantly now on my 85mbit FiOS line vs before laggy as ever. This affects all the feeds on youtube/vimeo, so all will be well. It can be confirmed by adding and removing with tests before after and then removed after again.

Time Warner and Verizon have this issue, no one is quite sure the absolute cause, but those servers your blocking are google and vimeo servers that most likely handle content throttling. When they are blocked you download directly from the source, ie; google data center.

Use caution as you are blocking a wide range of ip address locations. No one has reported any adverse effects yet.

Linux commands below; (Advanced Firewall on Windows Vista or higher can handle this also)

sudo ipfw add reject src-ip 173.194.55.0/24 in
sudo ipfw add reject src-ip 206.111.0.0/16 in

Source; http://www.reddit.co...50w8x?context=1

#6 z0phi3l

z0phi3l

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:27

Could also be shoddy ISP DNS caching, I used to have issues with 1080 YT videos till I stopped using Comcast's DNS for a couple of servers that were closer to me, took a few days to notice the difference because like a dork I forgot to run ipconfig /flushdns after making the changes

#7 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:29

REJECT/DROP 173.194.55.0/24
REJECT/DROP 206.111.0.0/16

Problem solved, was posted on reddit just this week. I did it myself and everything loads instantly now on my 85mbit FiOS line vs before laggy as ever. This affects all the feeds on youtube/vimeo, so all will be well. It can be confirmed by adding and removing with tests before after and then removed after again.

Time Warner and Verizon have this issue, no one is quite sure the absolute cause, but those servers your blocking are google and vimeo servers that most likely handle content throttling. When they are blocked you download directly from the source, ie; google data center.

Use caution as you are blocking a wide range of ip address locations. No one has reported any adverse effects yet.

can you elaborate on this? i also have this Youtube issue. you sit there and constantly have to wait for youtube to buffer. oh, you wanted to watch that 30 second clip? that'll be 5mins of buffering...

#8 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:29

I don't have any issue with youtube. Even with HD videos.

Bell Sympatico isp here.

#9 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:30

Anyone else have similar experiences/frustrations?

No where near as well educated as Budman in wifi, bandwidth, or any thing of the sort as, but I've never had any of buffering or lag watching stuff on youtube
I just downgraded to 30meg last month as I was effectively wasting money on 120

Edit Please disregard my post
I didn't realise we were talking about US broadband, as a UK resident I don't know your infrastructure

#10 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:31

I was having problems last Spring... found out my modem was not fully supporting all the channels offered by my ISP. Purchased a new modem and am taking full advantage of the offered bandwidth.

#11 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:32

Maybe it's because there is a million idiots watching videos. :laugh:

#12 Klownicle

Klownicle

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:33

can you elaborate on this? i also have this Youtube issue. you sit there and constantly have to wait for youtube to buffer. oh, you wanted to watch that 30 second clip? that'll be 5mins of buffering...

See; http://www.reddit.co...50w8x?context=1

Couple posts down.

#13 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:34

I was having problems last Spring... found out my modem was not fully supporting all the channels offered by my ISP. Purchased a new modem and am taking full advantage of the offered bandwidth.

"all the channels"? what's that mean?

#14 Klownicle

Klownicle

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:39

I also confirmed the above fix on my works Verizon MPLS connection, amazing it was. :) I always just dealt with the slow YouTube thinking there was nothing could be done about it till I stumbled on the reddit post made this week.

#15 OP Defiantly

Defiantly

In Vino Veritas!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:44

I also confirmed the above fix on my works Verizon MPLS connection, amazing it was. :) I always just dealt with the slow YouTube thinking there was nothing could be done about it till I stumbled on the reddit post made this week.

Hi Klownicle, can you elaborate on how to implement this fix? Thanks!!!!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!