Photo

Why Does YouTube's throughput suck so bad?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:48

See; http://www.reddit.co...50w8x?context=1

Couple posts down.

from what i gathered in the post, i just need to add the 206.x.x.x/16 space in the windows firewall, right? i just added a Deny rule on my work laptop. Do i also need to do the other 173 range that you posted?

Also, some people were doing this in their router's IP tables, but i'm not so sure i can do that.

#17 Klownicle

Klownicle

I get a custom title? Sweett.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:03

from what i gathered in the post, i just need to add the 206.x.x.x/16 space in the windows firewall, right? i just added a Deny rule on my work laptop. Do i also need to do the other 173 range that you posted?

Also, some people were doing this in their router's IP tables, but i'm not so sure i can do that.

Someone linked to a good guide the other day, but I'm not able to find it at this time.

You need to go into your advanced firewall for windows, create a outbound rule, choose custom, all programs, all ports, tcp for protocol, enter address lines as 206.111.0.0/16 etc, and finish.

It should look like below for 206.111.0.0/16 in your advanced firewall if done right.

Posted Image

The 173 subnet class c is for vimeo if I read correctly, I just used google in the above example. And its 206.111 not 206.x

And IpTables wise, routers like the Actiontec supplied by FiOS allows for GUI Web Access for advanced filtering.

#18 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:15

I assume then that it's an ISP issue? YouTube videos stream perfectly here and I use Magic Actions so videos default to 1080p.

#19 Klownicle

Klownicle

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:29

I assume then that it's an ISP issue? YouTube videos stream perfectly here and I use Magic Actions so videos default to 1080p.

Either ISP/Routing or YouTube (Google) is throttling based on ISP.

#20 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 85
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:29

So if that blocking works, then yes its a caching issue with the verizon and timewarner peering caches.

Sure you can block those networks, and then you should bounce to some other source.

I am not sure I would jump on blocking a /16 like that, but if that whole block is just used for cache - then its not going to hurt anything. As long as your aware if you run into connection issues sometime in the future, verify if on that netblock, etc.

#21 webeagle12

webeagle12

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:34

NOD firewall would't letting me put /16. Any idea?

#22 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:45

"all the channels"? what's that mean?

His issue has nothing to do with youtube but his connection speed. He probably switched to a docsis 3 modem, which needs at least 4 channels to bond with in order to take advantage of the higher tier offerings. This shouldn't have been a problem to begin with unless nobody informed him of upgrades or he ignored letters sent out.

#23 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:49

Virgin Media over here have a similar issue - there's a thread on their forums that's been going on for over a year now.

They run caching servers, but those servers don't have enough capacity to deal with the number of requests. Which results in me having a 100mb connection and not being able to stream a standard def video from YouTube!

#24 Klownicle

Klownicle

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:50

NOD firewall would't letting me put /16. Any idea?

206.111.0.0/16 is not a ip address it is a ip subnet class

#25 webeagle12

webeagle12

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 22:14

206.111.0.0/16 is not a ip address it is a ip subnet class

Still wouldn't let me. I'm doing something wrong..

#26 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 22:26

drop the /16 and put in the mask 255.255.0.0 = same thing

#27 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 22:29

REJECT/DROP 173.194.55.0/24
REJECT/DROP 206.111.0.0/16

(for the uninformed, /16 and /24 is not a range, but a subnet class) ie, 206.111.0.0 - 206.111.255.255 = /16)

Problem solved, was posted on reddit just this week. I did it myself and everything loads instantly now on my 85mbit FiOS line vs before laggy as ever. This affects all the feeds on youtube/vimeo, so all will be well. It can be confirmed by adding and removing with tests before after and then removed after again.

Time Warner and Verizon have this issue, no one is quite sure the absolute cause, but those servers your blocking are google and vimeo servers that most likely handle content throttling. When they are blocked you download directly from the source, ie; google data center.

Use caution as you are blocking a wide range of ip address locations. No one has reported any adverse effects yet.

Linux commands below; (Advanced Firewall on Windows Vista or higher can handle this also)

sudo ipfw add reject src-ip 173.194.55.0/24 in
sudo ipfw add reject src-ip 206.111.0.0/16 in

Source; http://www.reddit.co...50w8x?context=1

I would like to know how they came up with these subnets from their ISPs and what exactly is meant by the REJECT/DROP. This would helpful to those trying to figure out why their own YouTube browsing is slow on a different ISP.

#28 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 22:33

Well real quick if you resolve

o-o---preferred---sn-mv-p5qe---v17---lscache1.c.youtube.com

You get 206.111.9.12, well thats what I got, which is just cname, etc. But yeah not sure how they determined to block the whole /16 block..

#29 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 22:40

When resolving that I get 208.117.251.13. But still, it leaves too many questions for me. Where did you get that cname from? Who is to say that YouTube doesn't use other caches referred to by cname depending on location. It would seem it's far too difficult to find out YouTube's structure for providing videos to make one suggestion work uniformly. Hence, the method is imperative.

#30 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 22:46

Its its quite possible the cache(s) reside on lots of different networks.. I would not block such networks unless you were having a specific issue with that specific cache, etc..

I would do your own analysis of where your pulling your youtube videos from.

The reddit link is the guy was doing experiments and posted what he found, not sure blocking it is the correct solution - but others seemed to have jumped on that plan. Does not mean its a fix for anyone having youtube issues.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!