Photo

File Explorer Slow To Open From Taskbar

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tracon

tracon

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:29

Ok, this might seem like a strange thing to worry about, but on my 64-bit Windows 8 Pro (clean) installation, the File Explorer takes about twice as long (1.38 seconds) to start when I click a shortcut on the taskbar than when I click a shortcut from the start screen or the desktop (0.76 seconds). Is there any reason for this? How could I speed of the opening of File Explorer (and probably other programs) when launching from the taskbar? I probably wouldn't care as much if it wasn't such a noticeable difference when waiting for it to open. Both cases (desktop and taskbar) opened instantly on Windows 7 Ultimate.

#2 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:32

1.38 seconds.... disgraceful

How would you even have noticed the difference between 0.76 seconds and 1.38 seconds?

#3 OP tracon

tracon

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:36

Anything over 0.3 seconds is easily noticeable to the average human brain. This difference is well over that threshold. For a task that I perform many times a day, it is an annoying regression and I'm simply looking for insight. If you have nothing constructive to say, please move along.

#4 KRazpopov

KRazpopov

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Omnia 7

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:39

I think it takes longer for the application to start from the superbar, because of the little anination it does when you click the icon.

Try turning off all Windows animations. That should help your speeds a bit.
(Or just turn off "animations in the taskbar".)

#5 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:16

Anything over 0.3 seconds is easily noticeable to the average human brain. This difference is well over that threshold. For a task that I perform many times a day, it is an annoying regression and I'm simply looking for insight. If you have nothing constructive to say, please move along.

Moving along

#6 OP tracon

tracon

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:37

I think it takes longer for the application to start from the superbar, because of the little anination it does when you click the icon.

Try turning off all Windows animations. That should help your speeds a bit.
(Or just turn off "animations in the taskbar".)

Disabling all animations and/or the taskbar animations made no difference. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

#7 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:01

Do you have any other programs installed or just Windows itself?

If you have security software try disabling it. Same with startup/background processes.

#8 OP tracon

tracon

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:19

Do you have any other programs installed or just Windows itself?

If you have security software try disabling it. Same with startup/background processes.

I do have other software installed now. Just a few common programs (like Google Chrome). I was having this problem before I installed them, though. I disabled all of my security software and startup programs, rebooted, and still have the problem. Interestingly enough, if I right click the File Explorer icon on the taskbar and click on one of the jump list entries, it opens just as quickly as if I used the Start Screen. There's just something wrong with simply left clicking the taskbar icon. At this point, it's a puzzle to solve, not so much a necessity.

#9 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:58

I do have other software installed now. Just a few common programs (like Google Chrome). I was having this problem before I installed them, though. I disabled all of my security software and startup programs, rebooted, and still have the problem. Interestingly enough, if I right click the File Explorer icon on the taskbar and click on one of the jump list entries, it opens just as quickly as if I used the Start Screen. There's just something wrong with simply left clicking the taskbar icon. At this point, it's a puzzle to solve, not so much a necessity.

That's weird. Have you tried to unpin it and pin it again? That's all I can think of right now.

#10 StarkWiz

StarkWiz

Neowinian

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:15

@OP
Have you installed all the Microsoft Updates after clean install?
There are bunch of updates (above 500 MB) available from Microsoft which improve performance and stability.
I have all the updates applied and don't see any difference in launching File Explorer in my machine.
It's super quick. I see it as soon as I click.

#11 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:13

I refuse to believe this. If you have disabled all window animations and you are indeed trying to run the same File Explorer from both locations then there should be no difference at all. Try one thing for me though. Hit up CMD and type

explorer

and tell us how long that takes to start up.

#12 OP tracon

tracon

Neowinian

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:37

That's weird. Have you tried to unpin it and pin it again? That's all I can think of right now.

That didn't help. Thanks, though.

@OP
Have you installed all the Microsoft Updates after clean install?
There are bunch of updates (above 500 MB) available from Microsoft which improve performance and stability.
I have all the updates applied and don't see any difference in launching File Explorer in my machine.
It's super quick. I see it as soon as I click.

Yeah, I updated the system as soon as the install finished. I obsessively update :p

I refuse to believe this. If you have disabled all window animations and you are indeed trying to run the same File Explorer from both locations then there should be no difference at all. Try one thing for me though. Hit up CMD and type

explorer

and tell us how long that takes to start up.

Entering 'explorer' in the command prompt opens instantly, just like the Jump List entries, hitting windows + E, and shortcut on the start screen. I don't blame you for not believing it. I can assure you, however, that it is happening. It's not a huge deal, so whether or not I find a solution doesn't matter. I made this thread because I, too, see no reason for it and wanted to see if anyone else had heard of a similar issue. I guess not and that's fine.

#13 decerto252

decerto252

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:27

Replying to this topic to say I have say I have the identical issue, starts perfect from all other sources except task bar. It happened after installing the latest nvidia drivers if that helps

#14 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:07

Perhaps the indexing service?

#15 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:22

1.38 seconds.... disgraceful

How would you even have noticed the difference between 0.76 seconds and 1.38 seconds?

When you have a high performing system, that's a lifetime to do something like open File Manager, one, one thousand, tw.......

There's clearly something wrong.

Perhaps the indexing service?

I recently had this problem after opening File Manager and waiting for it to enumerate all drives. Disabling defender eliminated the problem. So I disabled indexing, deleted the indexes, disabled Defender. Rebooted, re-enabled all, and all is well. Took a whole day to figure it out though, with several Google searches which lead to disabling Defender.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!