Photo

Windows 8 VS Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 janiman

janiman

Neowinian

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:45

Which one is the best. I used both windows. No doubt about it that windows 8 has many amazing features than windows 7 but my experience and other windows user says that windows 8 work slow and windows 7 works very fast. Whats your opinion?

#2 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:49

In all honesty even though I am not a fan of the overall interface of windows 8 it uses less system resources to do the same things and several features have had major overhauls that improve them greatly. Once i get used to it i am sure i will be able to do everything just as well it will just take some time. It was just never meant to be used on a non tablet device.

#3 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:52

Which one is the best. I used both windows. No doubt about it that windows 8 has many amazing features than windows 7 but my experience and other windows user says that windows 8 work slow and windows 7 works very fast. Whats your opinion?

Literally no one argues that Windows 8 is the slower of the two. :laugh:

They added a few hundred good features and took away the start menu, which you prefer is up to you.

#4 1941

Banned

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:55

I would say Windows 7.

#5 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:56

windows user says that windows 8 work slow and windows 7 works very fast.

My understanding is that performance of win 8 is overall better, but people's work is slowed down by the unhandy interface.

#6 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:58

If you already have an SSD, there really isn't much speed difference. The AMAZING start up time of Windows 8 after a shutdown, isn't really all that amazing. It's just some hibernation trickery. You never fully shut down in the first place. To Actually restart the computer you have to restart.

If you fall into the majority, Windows 8 will frustrate.

#7 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:01

Performance wise I'd say 8 probably has some optimizations. Though I have a feeling the noticeable difference is slim, I'd stick with 7 if I had to make a choice between the two.

#8 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:06

These forums are very divided on this. I gave up arguing it mostly, but I love 8 and will never even consider downgrading. It's also far better on lower spec machines if that matters to ye.

#9 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:06

Windows 8 paired with start8, I'll never go back to 7. just too many other improvements to let the start screen bother me

ps. i may have start8 installed but i still tend to use some modern apps from time to time :)

#10 Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:14

People who complain about W8 mostly are complaining on the 'missing' start menu.
Other than that W8 is a nice update, and if you're living in desktop land most of the time, there's some updates there too.

YMMV....

#11 Ian William

Ian William

Open 24 hours.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:00

Windows 7, IMHO... Too many things with Windows 8 are a nuisance.

#12 Hitman2000

Hitman2000

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:13

Windows with start8 or similar to get permanent desktop mode is very good.

But if we're talking about windows 8 without any mods and using full screen apps (compared to normal programs) on a 30" monitor, my god its such a waste of space.

Windows 8 for me kills multitasking.

#13 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:17

I use both, one for playing (win8) and the other for working (win 7), I can easily tell that while the improvements may be there, they are certainly not a deal breaker.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:19

If you already have an SSD, there really isn't much speed difference. The AMAZING start up time of Windows 8 after a shutdown, isn't really all that amazing. It's just some hibernation trickery. You never fully shut down in the first place. To Actually restart the computer you have to restart.

If you fall into the majority, Windows 8 will frustrate.

An SSD is just one small cog in the machinery of performance. It's a very visible cog because it reduces loading times, however it doesn't actually improve any actual performance, just old speeds.

And for the last 10 years you're not supposed to turn off your computer, and there more than some hibernation trickery to it.

Ad in my experience if you fall in the majority it takes you a couple of mi utes o adapt to win 8 and use it far more efficient than win7. Most I show and sell it to love themes start screen and have no problems with it or the hot corners. Anything from dumb users to highly intelligent ones. The ony ones who have a problem are self proclaimed geeks who refuse to adapt, and their friends and family who have bent told by their tech friend that its an unusable system and they'll never be able to use it.

#15 slumdogtrillionaire

slumdogtrillionaire

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:49

ill go with xp... since it has hardware accelration for GDI.. so the website scrolling is much faster in xp than 7 or 8 which both feel slow unless you are using internet explorer. browsing is a major task so overall feel of the OS much snappier if browsing/scrolling is seemless and real fast.