Cannot play SimCity in 1600x900

I was wondering how I can play SimCity via Origin in resolution 1600x900 on my notebook?

So far, only the 4:3 resolutions are mentioned.

Updating your drivers is extremely important with this game. Out of date drivers, even just a few months, is causing the game to crash for a lot of people.

I'd think you need newer drivers then since the game definitely supports that res.

I can't really tell what graphics part is in that laptop, but http://www.intel.com...port/detect.htm

Graphics drivers state: ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series

I have already the 13.1 (latest) drivers installed from ati.com.

Maybe ATi needs to update to 13.2 or something?

Push the 13.2 beta drivers on and see if it improves..

Something hinky going on there..

EDIT::

I'm running it on 8 and it's running fine at the right res: 1920x1200.

SC states that although my graphics card seems newer it doesn't meet up the minimum specs and therefore is in some sort of " alternate" lower-setting play mode.

Strange because the minimal specs are ATI Radeon HD2x00 or better and I have a 5470 (though Mobile edition)

Can this be the cause for not having 1600x900?

Graphics drivers state: ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series

I have already the 13.1 (latest) drivers installed from ati.com.

Maybe ATi needs to update to 13.2 or something?

Go to the 13.2 betas (no later than beta 5, with 6 recommended).

I have the same GPU (the HD5450, despite being a Mobility part, also sees discrete duty in desktops, primarily HTPCs and SFF PCs), and I've seen some surprising performance gains in all my games (including, of all games, Crysis 3, which has me severely boggled as Crysis as a series is not exactly GPU friendly, let alone low-end GPU friendly).

You didn't hear? Resolutions above 720p require a $1.99 charge via Origin to be unlocked; however it includes an extra governors mansion building skin - normally a $4.99 value :p /s

SC states that although my graphics card seems newer it doesn't meet up the minimum specs and therefore is in some sort of " alternate" lower-setting play mode.

Strange because the minimal specs are ATI Radeon HD2x00 or better and I have a 5470 (though Mobile edition)

You mean the popup on first launch complaining about your shtty video card? :p everyone gets it.

• 3 months later...

Here's another issue - despite that being a Mobility part, give the *desktop* Catalysts for Windows 8 a shot.

Why would I make such a seemingly-silly suggestion?  That selfsame Mobility GPU is also a *desktop* part - the only HD5450s (and slight-upgrade HD5470s) are basically Mobility parts that also appeared in desktop (single-slot and passive-cooled) PCI Express and even PCI clothes.  I had one (which was just replaced with a GTX 550 Ti), and I *never* used Mobility drivers with it.

The reasons why AMD would create such a critter make surprising sense - HTPCs, SFF cases, and low power usage due to not requiring a fan.

It's not necessarily a *bad* GPU for light gaming - I had mine for two years and only replaced it a mere barely two DAYS ago.  (And, to be quite honest, I would not have done that if I hadn't been able to snag my GTX 550 Ti for the Supremely Silly price tag of $63.49 - including sales tax.)