Dead Space 3; DS 1 and 2 needed to get the game?

When ordering - and playing - Dead Space 3, do the other games 1 and 2 be have to be played in order to get the storyline?

not really. all 3 games are pretty separate from each other. the 3rd even more so from the first 2

the second games has some references back to the first (especially with going back onto the ship from the first game at one point) but i don't think the third game references the first 2 at all

There wasn't much of a story in DS2...all I remember is 'these things are trying to kill you' past the first third of it.

I can point to like two important plot points in the entire game.

Is 3 any better on that front? I don't know when I'll pick it up, but I'm sure I will sometime.

When you start a new game in Dead Space 3, there's an option that says something like "previously in Dead Space" and it gives you a re-cap.

Yep there's a wee movie about the previous events.

However, I seriously suggest playing the first two before the third. The first is a brilliant game, the second, not so much, but expands on what's going on and has ties leading to the third.

Yah, I most definitely recommend playing the first two. You absolutely want to play DS1 for the story. I haven't played DS3, I'm currently on 2, but can't recommend the game enough..and think the first one is paramount to understanding what's going on and the origin of the problem you're fighting.

I've played through about half of the first Dead Space, it was pretty fun. I have DS2 still in its wrapping because I don't want to play it before I finish the first game. I've not even considered getting DS3, and from a couple of reviews I've seen I have to wonder if I will ever get it...

It's funny reading these comments. I played 1 and 2, not 3 yet. However, I thought DS2 was far superior, both in story telling and in the overall creepiness factor. I though the controls and movement were more refined in DS2 as well. Again, all just my opinion, but I thought the ending of DS2 was one of the best endings in any game I've ever played.

When Isaac takes off his helmet and just sits down waiting to die after the final battle, I absolutely loved that. Yeah, they had to save him to keep the series going, but I thought that whole scene was great.

It's funny reading these comments. I played 1 and 2, not 3 yet. However, I thought DS2 was far superior, both in story telling and in the overall creepiness factor. I though the controls and movement were more refined in DS2 as well. Again, all just my opinion, but I thought the ending of DS2 was one of the best endings in any game I've ever played.

The gameplay and variety were far better, there was just no plot. Most of the game I felt like I was just being strung along to kill ****, not for any other reason. Even when you came across optional story bits they were almost never relevant to anything but the current level.