• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 March 2013 - 20:55

It's all going wrong today.

I have a folder called test on a domain,

If I go \\server\test from a NON domain computer, I can create, modify and delete the contents of the folder, how is that possible when the only permissions for the folder is System & Administrators

This is rather annoying me as I don't know whats going on, as it should give me the big F OFF!

Any ideas?

#2 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 21 March 2013 - 20:57

It's all going wrong today.

I have a folder called test on a domain,

If I go \\server\test from a NON domain computer, I can create, modify and delete the contents of the folder, how is that possible when the only permissions for the folder is System & Administrators

This is rather annoying me as I don't know whats going on, as it should give me the big F OFF!

Any ideas?

Screenshots of the Security tab and Share Permissions plz.

#3 OP Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 March 2013 - 21:06

The folder isn't shared I'm accessing it by typing in \\servername\g$\test and the folder permissions are system & administrators, on full permission

#4 limok

limok

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S4, iPhone 5

Posted 21 March 2013 - 21:15

You must've used credentials that have rights to access and modify the hidden share.

#5 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 21 March 2013 - 21:15

The folder isn't shared I'm accessing it by typing in \\servername\g$\test and the folder permissions are system & administrators, on full permission

Well G$ is an admin share. So either one of two things is going one

1: Your user account on the local system has credentials that match a domain admin account, or has saved credentials.

2: Your default admin shares on the server have different security permissions then default. Which I think is setup in GPO.

#6 OP Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 March 2013 - 21:18

One of the first things I done was check out the credentials vault on my windows 7 PC, but I deleted them all, but can still access it.

I wouldn't know where to go for the default admin share permissions in GPO, so I wouldn't of changed it.

Just noticed when going onto my other server I get a login box, even if I just do \\servername so it's something odd with the other one
Tricky eh!

#7 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 24

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:58

As soon as you put your computer on the domain network your local hard drives get shared with a $...c$ d$ e$ etc. you will not see these shares simply by browsing to them. anything with a $ at the end of them is a hidden/non published share. To be able to access these admin shares you need to be a domain admin by default unless you messed with the security.

If you are connecting to test that isn't a default share. We would need to have a screen shot of the security tab on test to be able to further diagnose. You probably have anon user listed in there or everyone and have given full/modify access to either of them. If you want I can remote in and poke around so you can see what is going on.

#8 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 March 2013 - 19:21

Sounds like you've applied permissions to the share (\\server\test) as opposed to the folder (\\servername\g$\test).

Right-click on the folder, Properties, then the Security tab. Set your permissions there--not the Sharing tab.

Either that, or disable admin shares. That way you won't be able to access \\servername\g$ to begin with.

#9 OP Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 March 2013 - 13:58

Found out the problem was due to the fact I had a mapped drive to the server, and I saved my credentials (which couldn't be found anywhere) so I used "net use * /delete" this cleared all my mapped drives, then when I went back into \\servername I got the loigin prmpt then, I then saved my credentials and it's now in the vault, very odd!