Photo

Keyboard for 1.Typing 2.typing 3.gaming

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dattuz

dattuz

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:43

I have a Logitech Wave today, its ok i guess, but i know there are a lot better.

I have heard lots of good things about Cherry mx blue, brown and red.

I need the Keyboard for 1.Typing 2.typing 3.gaming.
I dont want it to sound all too loud.
But i want a definite feel when i am typing, i want to feel a soothing difference between my logitech wave and my new one.

Price? 100-170$

Must be avalible in sweden, so ducky, cm, steelseries, qpad, logitech, daskeyborad, are ok.

#2 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:47

I think black switches are okay for that....

#3 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:18

I use a buckling spring Model M for typing myself but as far as Cherry:

MX Black: Best for gaming, linear, quietest.
MX Blue: Best for typing, tactile, loudest type.
MX Brown: Middle ground, tactile, ok for gaming and typing.

There are also MX Reds which are lighter than the black switches; some people prefer them for gaming but they wouldn't be very good for typing.

#4 OP dattuz

dattuz

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:26

I use a buckling spring Model M for typing myself but as far as Cherry:

MX Black: Best for gaming, linear, quietest.
MX Blue: Best for typing, tactile, loudest type.
MX Brown: Middle ground, tactile, ok for gaming and typing.

There are also MX Reds which are lighter than the black switches; some people prefer them for gaming.

I have been reading, and I now know that i want either the brown or the reds.
I type all the time, and i dont play games that often, maybe once a week at the most.

What i am looking for is the "feel" in my typing, but i dont want it to sound all that loud.
Suggestions?

#5 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:28

I have been reading, and I now know that i want either the brown or the reds.
I type all the time, and i dont play games that often, maybe once a week at the most.

What i am looking for is the "feel" in my typing, but i dont want it to sound all that loud.
Suggestions?

I think you would definitely want brown switches then. MX Red are extremely light and have no tactile feedback; you wouldn't want them to type on imo.

You can find Youtube videos of each type and listen to them to get an idea of how loud they are.

#6 OP dattuz

dattuz

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:32

I think you would definitely want brown switches then. MX Red are extremely light and have no tactile feedback; you wouldn't want them to type on imo.

You can find Youtube videos of each type and listen to them to get an idea of how loud they are.

Thanks man, appreciate your answers, have a good one.

#7 droolingmonkey

droolingmonkey

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:54

My favourite typing keyboard is the dinovo edge. Waaay too expensive for what it is, but it feels sooo good to type on. In fact, I've had two, but I killed them both with spilled drinks. Quite quiet, good feel to the keys, the board itself is very low profile (flat). Looks the business, in my opinion.

#8 Jan

Jan

It's not a Navy boat, it's a Gravy boat

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:26

Purchase the mechanical keyswitch sample set: http://www.wasdkeybo...pler-kit-1.html

You'll then know what type of switch you want.

Personally, I like Cherry MX Blues the most, they're just very loud.

#9 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:44

I have Cherry MX Blues. Loud is relative, they do sound like a typewriter, but I have it at home, and it doesn't bother me.

#10 Paul Ferson

Paul Ferson

Neowinian

• Phone: Sony Xperia Z

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:58

I have Cherry MX Blues myself, and I like them. As others have said, they're pretty loud though. They have a nice feel due to the tactile bump but you can get that with tactile switches anyway, so it isn't much of a selling point. The actuation force is worth considering, since you might like a softer or a stiffer switch. The general consensus I've seen is that Brown switches are the best blend for typing and gaming on, but if you're typing more than gaming it's worth a second thought. Despite the idea certain switches are better for gaming than others, you can game on any switch but you'll just have to get used to how it feels. However, I have heard people to say the Brown switch feels 'grainy'. Never used one so I don't know, but I have heard the criticism raised before. People I know with Brown switches seem happy enough so don't take this as concrete evidence.

The CMStorm QuickFire Rapids are extremely popular at the moment, and for good reason. They're a nice price and they're meant to be very good quality, plus they come in a lot of switch varieties. Despite being a gaming keyboard they're not overly shouty. They used to be covered in branding but the newer models aren't. The only thing is that the keycaps still aren't the most professional looking of things, but that shouldn't sway your opinion too much. If you need a numerical pad, there's the QuickFire Pro as well. The two are meant to use different OEMs and some people claim the Pro to be of a lower quality than the Rapid because of it. I can't confirm or deny either way. To me it's just a rumor.

Getting the right layout might be a problem, though. Looking online the letters seem near enough to QWERTY so if you were a touch-typist you could just buy a QWERTY board and run with it, I guess. That means you could consider Leopold keyboards as well. getDigital.de stock the FC200R keyboard and the Filco Majestouch-2. In my experience the folks at getDigital have been absolutely top-notch with their service (I've reviewed a Das Keyboard and a Matias Tactile Pro through them).

/r/MechanicalKeyboards also has the Nordic shopping guide, so it would seem you could also get a Corsair K-Series board amongst others. They're a bit more gamer-y, but again, their appearance shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you're planning to use this in a workplace. Neowin's own Tim Schiesser reviewed the K90 around this time last year and was impressed by it. That's encouraging.

In my honest opinion you'll want Brown switches as well. They're not as loud as the Blues, but they take less force to activate as well. It might be the best all-rounder for your needs.

Good luck finding the keyboard that's right for you!

#11 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 23 March 2013 - 13:02

G710+

Brown switches

#12 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 23 March 2013 - 15:04

I'm using a SteelSeries 6Gv2 with black switches, it's been great so far for gaming and typing

#13 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2013 - 15:18

/r/MechanicalKeyboards also has the Nordic shopping guide, so it would seem you could also get a Corsair K-Series board amongst others. They're a bit more gamer-y, but again, their appearance shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you're planning to use this in a workplace. Neowin's own Tim Schiesser reviewed the K90 around this time last year and was impressed by it. That's encouraging.

Corsair has two upgrades coming very soon, the K70 and K95. As you said, could be a good choice for the gamer. But as with many mechanical keyboards, they cost more.
http://www.corsair.com/k70
http://www.corsair.com/k95

#14 OP dattuz

dattuz

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2013 - 20:09

Corsair has two upgrades coming very soon, the K70 and K95. As you said, could be a good choice for the gamer. But as with many mechanical keyboards, they cost more.
http://www.corsair.com/k70
http://www.corsair.com/k95

I think im going for the filco actually, they seem pretty good..
My experience After reading:
Black: like red but more stiff
Blue: too loud but best for typing
Red: like black but lighter with pressing.
Brown: like blue but not so loud, not The same feel.
White or clear: pretty unobtainable..

Seems like im going for The Brown ones. The blue ones seems to be too loud..

#15 Jan

Jan

It's not a Navy boat, it's a Gravy boat

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 March 2013 - 20:12

I think im going for the filco actually, they seem pretty good..
My experience After reading:
Black: like red but more stiff
Blue: too loud but best for typing
Red: like black but lighter with pressing.
Brown: like blue but not so loud, not The same feel.
White or clear: pretty unobtainable..

Seems like im going for The Brown ones. The blue ones seems to be too loud..

I have a Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja and I couldn't be happier - good luck with your new keyboard :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!