Photo

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 22 April 2013 - 18:49

Hey, I've seen his articles before - he worked on Ribbon Hero, which I thought was pretty neat in itself and had interesting theory behind it. Too bad Microsoft ultimately didn't work out for him, but he seems to have found something new that he's a lot happier with.

#17 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 25 April 2013 - 22:27

I do believe FPS' have ruined innovative game development. To me, all FPS' are essentially the same. Be that as it may, if that's what this generation of gamers buy, so be it.

One thing Sony has going for it, is a more diverse range of game types/style.

All genres can be boiled down to being "the same" game. I think the only genre that can't is RPG's, merely because they blurred into hybrids of almost every genre (FPS, TPS, Hack and Slash, Platformer, etc). To claim something ruined the industry merely by being standardized is too much. I agree that games today could do with some proper innovation, but that can be applied to all genres. Singling out one has absolutely no purpose. If you want to get mad about things never changing, play some of the recent MMO releases and realize how cookie cutter that genre has become. Makes shooters look like a rainbow of diversity.

#18 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:10

To claim something ruined the industry

I said it ruined innovation. Of all game genres, FPS' have the least room for innovation. It's FPS' and shoot. Even TPS' have more room for innovation in avatar graphic and animation to how the avatar interacts with the environments (i.e. platform like elements, combining genres well). From Gears, to Uncharted, to Tomb Raider. FPS' are FPS'.

Multiplayer has helped kill innovation as well. Any FPS now has a multiplayer that is just the exact same thing with different textures. Which is why I play mostly XBLA and am leaning toward going back to PS3, much more diverse range of games. Much more innovative designs IMO.

#19 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:24

I said it ruined innovation. Of all game genres, FPS' have the least room for innovation. It's FPS' and shoot. Even TPS' have more room for innovation in avatar graphic and animation to how the avatar interacts with the environments (i.e. platform like elements, combining genres well). From Gears, to Uncharted, to Tomb Raider. FPS' are FPS'.

Uncharted is not an FPS nor is Tomb Raider...

Regardless, shooters are not all alike and what makes shooters so popular is not the simple mechanic of shooting things, but dynamic of fighting in a very hectic arena. In fact, its the same reason I play Chivalry (although that game is more for the hilarity than the challenge). Still, the primary aspect is first person combat, not necessarily shooting.

There are all kinds of games in this vein, and many mechanisms that enhance it. Look at games like Bioshock, Fallout 3, F.E.A.R., Halo, Borderlands, etc (even Skyrim if you include arrows and spells). All these games, while FPS's in their genre all do things significantly different.

For whatever reason I feel the term FPS suddenly equates to Modern Combat Shooter.

Multiplayer has helped kill innovation as well. Any FPS now has a multiplayer that is just the exact same thing with different textures. Which is why I play mostly XBLA and am leaning toward going back to PS3, much more diverse range of games. Much more innovative designs IMO.

And yet we still get games like Bioshock: Infinite, Fallout 3, Dishonored and Borderlands 2 all ignoring competetive multiplayer in order to focus on single player content, and all being extremely different kinds of FPS's (ofc, all incorporating RPG elements but which game isn't?).

A single genre and mode of play cannot be responsible for the death of innovation in games.

#20 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:32

Uncharted is not an FPS nor is Tomb Raider...

those were my TPS examples. the point isn't that there's anything wrong with FPS'. But because there are so many who do like the hectic shoot 'em in the face, it's dominating game dev, on some platforms more than others, to the detriment of other genres.

Bioshock Infinite did break out of the mold that's for sure.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:26

honestly you won't find the ratio of FPS to other titles to be different on other systems.