Upgrading after jailbreak..?

If i remember right (and i possibly don't) upgrading after a jailbreak is quite difficult??

I'm sure i tried to restore & update my iPhone (after jailbreak) & i hit all manner of brick walls. I tried via the phone itself & via iTunes. It was a nightmare.

However i could be confusing the restore & just simply updating.

I'm running iOS5 on 5.1.1 right now. I have Fifa 13 installed (sort of), but it wont install properly, or delete, I have a halfway install bar but that's al it does. My last backup was from February, so if i restore from backup i'll be losing over a months worth of stuff (should backup regular, i know).

I was considering updating to the latest software & waiting on a jailbreak, but i'm quite against iOS6. I know you can now get the YouTube app & google maps app, but i like the intergrated google maps you had with iOS5 & the new google maps is a tad different layout.

Sort of? Can you not hold down on it and delete it?

You can't upgrade with jailbreak, you need to restore to normal fw and then update and then jailbreak again.

Nope. Holding down & hitting the X wont delete it. I get the option to delete, i select to delete but it remains. I can't delete via iTunes either.

How do i restore to normal FW? Aren't Apple/iTunes no longer signing anything other than the current FW? Meaning i can't actually restore to 5.1.1 because they're not signing it any more? It's been a while since i tried but i'm sure i got endless error messages.

If i remember right (again, it's been a while) then even when trying to restore & update to the latest FW, it wouldn't let me after a jailbreak.

EDIT: Just for the record - the app is not cracked. I paid for it (before anyone suggests).

depending on what you have used to do jailbreak, sometimes your host file gets edited to stop the firmware checks

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Check that file, if it got something like

?74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com?,

?74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com?

?127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com?.

These are some the entries that could appear in there, delete these, or "#" them out eg

# 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

But if you do go to restore your iphone, then you will end up having to upgrade to 6.1.3, this is not able to jailbreak, and is not likely to ever be, nor will the upcoming 6.1.4, the evad3rs team are saving the current exploits they have found for iOS 7 when it is released later this year.

Tried SSH'ing in and rm'ing the fifa directory?

You need to download the 5.1.1 ipsw and do a restore using rescue mode. You can do it direct to 6.x if you wanted to.

Google for iphone dfu mode and you'll see how to put it into rescue mode, but yes, you will lose everything on the device.

Fixing the Fifa issue should be pretty simple. If you can get your hands on iFile (...xsellize or otherwise) try clearing any folders which make any reference to Fifa. If I remember correctly, the half way bar is actually relatively simple to fix. To overcome it you can either redownload the app from the device or plug it into iTunes and force sync remove/copy over download IPA on the computer. Let us know how you go!

I jailbroke via ultrasn0w.

The only blobs i have it seems are 6.0.1. I had a stack of them on my 3GS, but only this on my 4S.

I've tried re-downloading & re-syncing but it doesn't work. I'll possibly try iFile but wondered if there was a free way of sorting this.

Launch Cydia on your 4S and look for the following line highlighted in :

ios-5.1.1-shsh-blobs-cydia.jpg

If you have blobs for 5.1.1 then you try to use TinyUmbrella's Advanced section to request the SHSH blobs and then use iTunes to restore to 5.1.1. You'll have to set up your hosts file as above in YouWhat's post.

However, you shouldn't need to resort to restoring. I've had this issue a few times and normally a reboot has resolved it. Sometimes, just tapping the app icon forces it to redownload. You can also try downloading the app in iTunes from the store and then syncing your iPhone. That normally fixes things too. There are plenty of ways to resolve this issue that shouldn't need you to restore, but I do personally advise you to upgrade to 6.1.2 if you have the SHSH blobs. I think the new YouTube and Google Maps app from Google are better than Apple's offering but that's my opinion.

Also, you can't have jailbroken using ultrasn0w. Ultrasn0w is for unlocking. Don't you mean redsn0w?

Launch Cydia on your 4S and look for the following line highlighted in :

ios-5.1.1-shsh-blobs-cydia.jpg

I did . This is why i said 6.0.1 in my previous post.
However, you shouldn't need to resort to restoring. I've had this issue a few times and normally a reboot has resolved it.
Tried this
Sometimes, just tapping the app icon forces it to redownload
Tried this

You can also try downloading the app in iTunes from the store and then syncing your iPhone.
Tried this
Also, you can't have jailbroken using ultrasn0w. Ultrasn0w is for unlocking. Don't you mean redsn0w?

I stand corrected.

Also, just a point - it wasn't always the halfway bar. I have the Fifa 13 app in a folder. It was just an empty bar until i was also updating another app in that same folder. The Fifa 13 icon then showed a halfway bar which it's now stuck at (instead of being stuck at an empty bar.)

For the FIFA try removing the app from settings app-> general -> usage then find the app open the tab and delete from there. It worked on an app that somehow became invisible for no reason and then reinstall thru App Store or whatever you use

For the FIFA try removing the app from settings app-> general -> usage then find the app open the tab and delete from there. It worked on an app that somehow became invisible for no reason and then reinstall thru App Store or whatever you use

Tried that - no joy.

I've solved the halfway bar - i took it out of the folder. Now the progress bar is empty.

I've downloaded iFile but can't find where Fifa13 would be in order to delete it.

If you had the SHSH for 5.1.x then you could do restore to that verison using the "stitch" method. That's a shame that you don't have it :(.

You will have to wait for iOS 7 and likely iOS 7.1 for the jailbreak (as the jailbreakers have tended to wait until x.1 of iOS to release in the past 2 versions).

There possibly is a tethered jailbreak you could use...I'm not sure I would want that or recommend.

Right now if anyone with a jailbroken iOS 6 device has a crash where they need to do a restore operation they will lose their jailbreak. There is currently no way to restore previous versions of iOS 6. Apple is only authorizing 6.1.3 for install right now, and I don't think anyone has found a "method" around that. It is possible that someone finds a way to restore 6.x and at that point you can install 6.0.1 since you have the SHSH for it (if the SHSH ends up being required...it probably will). If you haven't already, get your SHSH on file with Tiny Umbrella.

Well i go into /var/mobile/Applications & Fifa 13 isn't listed there.

Yet it's still on my springboard, or at least the icon is.

How do i totally delete?