Photo

Keep folder on PC and folder on laptop in sync?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:12

What is the best way to do this?

They share the same Wi-Fi network.

#2 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:18

You could share a folder, and map it on the desktop/laptop so the files are only either on the desktop or laptop.

Or

You could use something like SyncToy

#3 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:18

Dropbox? That way it wouldn't matter if you removed your laptop (or PC) from the home network, the folder would still synchronise.

#4 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:19

I ended up just relocating folders so they sat within either Dropbox or Google Drive. Works wonders for my development Localhost.

#5 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:37

Skydrive

#6 +da00

da00

Kappa

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:42

Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive.

#7 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:44

I thought all the companies above only allow syncing to the Internet. We want to sync two local folders.

#8 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:46

I thought all the companies above only allow syncing to the Internet. We want to sync two local folders.

I think dropbox has a LAN sync option

Here's a few options too
http://www.wikihow.c...hronize-Folders

#9 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:47

The link I provided is not an Internet based tool.

#10 cleverclogs

cleverclogs

Neowinian

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:48

Map folder on network --> make available offline. ??? The syncing works of course when both are switched on. You'll want to set up a schedule too.

#11 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:59

I should give you my reason for wanting this solution:

The missus plays The Sims 3 on her low-spec laptop and when I'm out of the house, she wants to play the game on my high-spec PC and continue where she left off. Then, she can quit the
PC one and re-continue on the laptop. So basically, we want to keep the savegame folder synced automatically :)

#12 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 85
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:00

How much data are you talking? If its a few gig or less than yeah I would go with one of the above, dropbox, google, box, etc. Drop for sure has a lan sync so that you don't have to upload and then download again to your other boxes on the same network.

Yes you still sync a copy to the net, but boxes on the local lan just use the local network to sync and don't have to grab the copy from the internet.

Keep in mind that also if your just making changes to files, dropbox atleast only sends the differences. So lets say word document and you go in and make an edit, add a few words - only the changes are sent, not the whole file again.

Unless your talking gigs and gigs of data one of the services is great way to keep your stuff in sync, and also reap the benefits of having a copy in in the cloud for backup, access from other locations - sharing files with others, etc.

edit: Yup any of the solutions should be able to do that for you with nobrainer click and point type solution. Nice about dropbox that save file I would assume gets big, but only minor changes to it need to be synced -- not the whole file again, etc.

#13 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:02

How much data are you talking? If its a few gig or less than yeah I would go with one of the above, dropbox, google, box, etc. Drop for sure has a lan sync so that you don't have to upload and then download again to your other boxes on the same network.

Yes you still sync a copy to the net, but boxes on the local lan just use the local network to sync and don't have to grab the copy from the internet.

Keep in mind that also if your just making changes to files, dropbox atleast only sends the differences. So lets say word document and you go in and make an edit, add a few words - only the changes are sent, not the whole file again.

Unless your talking gigs and gigs of data one of the services is great way to keep your stuff in sync, and also reap the benefits of having a copy in in the cloud for backup, access from other locations - sharing files with others, etc.

I'm not sure (not at home to check), but the file(s) are likely no larger than 20 MB.

#14 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

The missus plays The Sims 3 on her low-spec laptop and when I'm out of the house, she wants to play the game on my high-spec PC and continue where she left off. Then, she can quit the
PC one and re-continue on the laptop. So basically, we want to keep the savegame folder synced automatically :)

Theres a few methods here
http://pcgamingwiki....e_cloud_syncing

Is the game installed in Steam? I think steam has cloud save game sync

#15 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

Best bet then is to share the save folder on the laptop, map it as the S: drive and make a batch file on the PC to copy it from the share on the laptop to the PC save folder.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!