Photo

PS4 has no performance bottlenecks, claims Killzone developer

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:29

Everything is balanced out, says Michiel Van Der Leeuw, technical director at Guerrilla Games.

The PlayStation 4 has been so carefully designed that developers won't find a performance bottleneck, Michiel Van Der Leeuw, technical director at Guerrilla Games, has told Edge.

"The fact that the best pieces of hardware are also devised from, or optimised versions of, the stuff we find in PCs doesn't make it any less a console," Van Der Leeuw explained. "A PC is a number of parts that also [have] bridges in-between, where there are inefficiencies that may [come in if they're not] exactly the right match."

But with the PS4, Sony has - allegedly - been able to ensure these inefficiencies don't exist.

Van Der Leeuw continued: "We've got the right amount of memory, video card; everything's balanced out. It was a very conscious effort to make sure that – with the speed of the memory, the amount of compute units, the speed of the hard drive – there would not be any bottlenecks.

"I think it was for more than a year that we knew the main ingredients and there was just discussion after discussion trying to find a bottleneck. Take a look at this design; try to find the bottleneck."

PlayStation 4 is expected to launch later this year, with Killzone: Shadow Fall expected to be a launch title.

Source: http://www.videogame..._developer.html

#2 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:32

step one, don't use a processor that isn't mass tested in gaming like the cell chip (Was a new idea for gaming when ps3 came out)..... check
step two, use an arch that lots of developers already understand..... check
step three, make sure graphics arch is up to date.... check

#3 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:40

Commendable. Although new systems rarely impose any performance constraints. Five years down the road it will show its age regardless of how well balanced it is.

#4 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:44

I think I picked out the parts of my build PC in probably 30 minutes,and I made sure there wasn't a bottleneck. It took sony 1 whole year? with a group of engineers? really?

#5 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:48

I think I picked out the parts of my build PC in probably 30 minutes,and I made sure there wasn't a bottleneck. It took sony 1 whole year? with a group of engineers? really?

It's a lot more then just picking hardware, PS4 was not designed for a Windows/Linux/MacOS.
Custom OS, with Customized Hardware.

In additions, trying to balance cost of parts in massive quantity with the fact the spec's won't change for at least 3-5 years and finding that balance of affordablity of the hardware and longevity of the hardware.

Microsoft has probably taken just as long to do the same as Sony.

#6 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:50

Same developer who claimed PS3's superiority over Xbox 360 by making (outrageous?) claims and never delivered? Yea, right.

#7 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:52

Sweet, did you design and build the chips and PCBs yourself to take heat, footprint, power consumption and cost into account as well?

#8 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:56

Excellent news for any gamer.

#9 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:59

Same developer who claimed PS3's superiority over Xbox 360 by making (outrageous?) claims and never delivered? Yea, right.

Killzone 2 and 3 are still some of the best looking games out of any of the consoles to date. And they're fun. How has Guerrilla not delivered?

#10 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:21

Killzone 2 and 3 are still some of the best looking games out of any of the consoles to date. And they're fun. How has Guerrilla not delivered?

Killzone 2 will be impossible on Xbox 360 - didn't deliver on that.

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:21

with the first PS3 killzone games, is not that they didn't deliver. it's that they lied and cheated. their game looked great, not as great as their promised live pre renders though, and then there was the whole "we had to use the whole 25GB disk for this game". except they used like 1/4th of it at best, with the rest being repeated data and padding, to make it seems bigger and to fix load time issues.

They have a history of being Sony PR. if Sony needs something to sound better than it is, then they get guerilla to say something stupid and unsubstantiated.

#12 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:28

No bottlenecks?
:rolleyes:

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:40

No bottlenecks?
:rolleyes:

shhh, obvisuly the PS4 has both a BD drive and HDD that can read and write as fast as memory ;)

#14 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:44

I am curious how they will be able to get the yields they need of gddr5. even graphics cards do not use that much and look how expensive they are.

#15 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:45

I only hope it's better moderated at the very least, I hate going up against players who stand right back up after they die