Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question

Posted

Right now I am in the planning stage for my desktop build, which is kind of slow going since I am waiting for Haswell and the associated components to come out. However, I do have a question about the integrated graphics, I figure that it will only get better with Haswell so the answer for Ivy Bridge or even Sandy Bridge will be helpful

I am not a gamer, minus the occasional game of Microsoft Mahjong, but I do watch movies, be it Blu-Ray's or high quality MKV's. I believe that is the most graphics intensive application of the computer. That said, will I be able to get away with just using the integrated graphics of the CPU or should i get a low end graphics card, which I prefer not to have to do. If I must get one, recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance

12 answers to this question

Posted

[quote name='jlewitinn' timestamp='1365449834' post='595625164']
However, I do have a question about the integrated graphics, I figure that it will only get better with Haswell so the answer for Ivy Bridge or even Sandy Bridge will be helpful
[/quote]...Huh?

You'd be fine with the Haswell iGPU I would have thought. As long as you're getting an i5 you'll be fine.

Posted

Simple: Yes

Posted

Yes, any of the major integrated graphics chips will work fine for your relatively low demands. Heck, I played through Dishonored on my HD4000 (at crappy settings, but it was all I had at the time). They've come a long ways in the last few years.

Posted

Or you get yourself an AMD A10-5800K, they are avaiable for roughly 100
1 person likes this

Posted

Hi, I have a dilemma that is similar enough for this thread, so don't mind if I add a question of my own :D

I'm in the market for a budget laptop, and i am wondering if an i3 3110m (HD 4000) or an AMD A8-4500m (HD 7640G) would be the better buy? The prices are nearly identical, and the laptop resolution is only 1366x768. I only play Starcraft 2 and DotA 2, and would run generic productivity software and web browsing :) with the occasional HD movie

Posted

[quote name='CronicHazel' timestamp='1365613222' post='595628838']
Hi, I have a dilemma that is similar enough for this thread, so don't mind if I add a question of my own :D

I'm in the market for a budget laptop, and i am wondering if an i3 3110m (HD 4000) or an AMD A8-4500m (HD 7640G) would be the better buy? The prices are nearly identical, and the laptop resolution is only 1366x768. I only play Starcraft 2 and DotA 2, and would run generic productivity software and web browsing :) with the occasional HD movie
[/quote]

Really depends what you want to do the most. The i3 CPU is much faster, and the A8's iGPU is a bit better.

Posted

I would go with the AMD as above said details are explained.

Posted

[quote name='CronicHazel' timestamp='1365613222' post='595628838']

[/quote]

For the games you mentioned, the A8 will do the job and will do it well, I really doubt about the I3 though.

Edit: You can even play games like Max Payne 3 with that A8 (tested with a dual core A6 for this and it ran at 30 fps), in fact you can play a lot of games with it...

Posted

The HD 4000, at that resolution, will work fine.

Posted

[quote name='Freelancer1111' timestamp='1365451301' post='595625228']
Or you get yourself an AMD A10-5800K, they are avaiable for roughly 100

Posted

You're in luck. The Intel IGPs suck for anything but video acceleration where they are on par with high-end videocards.

Posted

If you don't play games than either intel or amd integrated graphics will work just dandy