Can't download using IE9 after uninstalling IE10

Hi All.

I recently installed Windows 7 x64 onto 3 PC's (2 Dell and 1 Lenovo) after installing a new SSD. All that was installed was Windows 7 x64, Office 2010 Pro, XP Mode, Adobe reader XI, Kaspersky AV and all the usual updates from Microsoft including IE10. One of the web based tools we use requires IE9 and Silverlight however it didn't work in IE10 and as it isn't supported was told to remove it. So I uninstalled it, rolling back to IE9 but when I tried to download an application it failed. I then tried multiple sites including Microsoft and none of them worked.

To fix this, this is what I have tried so far.

Uninstalled IE9 and reinstalled

Reset all settings back to defaults

Stopped Kaspersky

Tried Firefox, this worked but Firefox isn't compatible with the web app.

Tried Chrome, this failed to start.

Ran SFC /scannow

Ran repair from the startup advanced menu

Checked that Un-check Do not save encrypted pages to disk was clear.

Any other thoughts?

Nothing that was remotely referencing IE, cant remember what the few errors were about but I know one was an application not starting but that is a completely different issue.

Have you tried doing a system restore to before the point you installed IE10? IE10 has a few pre-requisite updates so if you don't have a restore point going back to when IE10 was installed, try uninstalling the following Windows updates KB2729094 & KB2670838

This just happened to me. I fixed it by going to tools, internet options, advanced, then hitting the reset button and allowing it to reset everything. After a reboot I was able to download things again.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found a solution to this? I've tried everything I've found, and still no luck. Even uninstalled the updates JJ mentioned. I've reset IE multiple times, verified that security settings are correct, run SFC, nothing works so far. This is crazy.

We have encountered this issue a couple of times now. You cannot download anything and cannot 'View Downloads'. Resetting IE settings does not help. Reinstallation of IE9 on the first one we encountered resulting in IE9 crashing when trying to install and we had to reimage it.

After the reimage the user had the same issue. We ended up rebuilding the user profile and in each situation this fixed the issue.

So I'm still not 100% sure what causes this. It's somehow related to IE10 getting installed and then uninstalled. Somehow it screws something up in the user profile. So if all the above doesn't work, recreate the user profile.

• 5 weeks later...

After having this happen a few more times I noticed that it's not just downloads, it's all notifications in IE. Like when you first run IE, it should ask you if you would like to disable/enable add-ons but it doesn't. We also have an older software that the IE plugin isn't IE9 compatible and it should warn you about that, but it doesn't.

This also happens when a user with a roaming profile logs into an IE10 machine and then logs into an IE9 machine afterward.

Narrowed it down to this Reg Key. Delete the whole thing. You may or may not have to logout/in after.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

Note: if the user has a roaming profile, you may want to delete the server copy or edit the ntuser.dat hive with Regedit just to make sure that the local and server copies are both on the same page.