Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:26

http://techcrunch.co...office-in-2014/
http://www.extremete...r-linux-in-2014
http://www.redmondpi...ding-to-report/

#2 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:39

Truth be told this will probably be free viewers... then you have to pay to get the ability to write in them.
That way people can still save things in their docx format instead of shifting to the open format.

#3 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:17

mmm, sounds real tempting... Would not mind///

#4 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:40

this is 6 weeks old news :( They probably will release ms office for linux as governments are switching to linux and they don't want to miss out on those government contracts.

#5 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Apple Fanatic

• Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:57

this is 6 weeks old news :( They probably will release ms office for linux as governments are switching to linux and they don't want to miss out on those government contracts.

Sure, like governments will switch to Linux. Windows is too good of an operating system for them to switch to Linux.

#6 Ph1b3r0pt1c

Ph1b3r0pt1c

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:11

Sure, like governments will switch to Linux. Windows is too good of an operating system for them to switch to Linux.

Well lets see:
Thats alot of money if Microsoft does that, AND they can convince them to go with Office.

#7 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:21

I can't think of any reason why this would be a good idea. You can already take a large chunk of Linux users and guarantee they'll never use it. A lot of Linux users won't use closed source software like this (I know it said "considering open sourcing", I'll believe it when I see it, more likely PARTS will be open source with a number of proprietary plugins), a lot of Linux users are Microsoft haters or using Linux to specifically get away from Microsoft and their licensing, AND LibreOffice works pretty damn well these days. I'm a Linux user, and I'm not uptight about closed source software or a MS hater or anything, but I can't see why I would ever care if Office was available on Linux. I'll stick to LibreOffice.

But hey, I guess I've got no problem with having choices. I just think Microsoft, being Microsoft, will spend massive amounts of money on development and I think they'd find themselves shunned by probably the majority of Linux users. Doesn't seem like a wise business decision right now.

#8 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:22

http://techcrunch.co...office-in-2014/
http://www.extremete...r-linux-in-2014
http://www.redmondpi...ding-to-report/

Great sources there. :|

The redmondpie article references the Techcrunch one which in turn references the extremetech.
None of which state that MS is going to release it. :rolleyes:

#9 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:22

Pffft LibreOffice, just as good and free and it's been on Linux for years.

#10 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:23

"The United States Department of Defense uses Linux - "the U.S. Army is “the” single largest install base for Red Hat Linux"[13] and the US Navy nuclear submarine fleet runs on Linux.[14]"
AFAIK that is erroneous, from an old article from many years ago I remember it saying the DoD had their own version of linux with over 100 times more lines of code than normal distributions and it was all private to the DoD.

#11 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:26

This is old, but good news. I hope it's true. Give me foobar2000 and more steam games, and I'd be quite happy on Linux.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:27

I du no, I'm seeing more governments moving back to windows from windows after trying Linux the last couple of years.

#13 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:29

Well lets see:

Thats alot of money if Microsoft does that, AND they can convince them to go with Office.

Department of Defense still uses Windows too....

Don't think that governments are exclusive to a single OS for everything.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:30

"The United States Department of Defense uses Linux - "the U.S. Army is “the” single largest install base for Red Hat Linux"[13] and the US Navy nuclear submarine fleet runs on Linux.[14]"
AFAIK that is erroneous, from an old article from many years ago I remember it saying the DoD had their own version of linux with over 100 times more lines of code than normal distributions and it was all private to the DoD.

Most of that list is biased leaving out half the truth, outdated or plain erroneous. Some of it doesn't even make sense to be in such a list, what does embedded voting units running Linux have to do with such a list.

#15 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:32

Most of that list is biased leaving out half the truth, outdated or plain erroneous. Some of it doesn't even make sense to be in such a list, what does embedded voting units running Linux have to do with such a list.

Well considering the poster copy and pasted wikipedia, it doesn't shock me one bit.