Photo

Reliable software to check the health status of a ssd?

ssd

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 OP AndyD

AndyD

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 April 2013 - 18:01

Agreed. I'm going to set up Win 2K Server Essentials in a virtual machine and start daily backups from that. I'll eventually move to a full fledged essentials server (currently windows 8). Just don't want to deal with the potential of immediate loss. I'm glad I was able to get back into my system but could be any day now where it finally decides to take a hike

#17 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 15 April 2013 - 21:53

I did upgrade to that firmware but my mobo is updated to the latest BIOS as well. And I upgraded my firmware after I was having issues.

Below is what I got back from Crucial...makes sense? Essentially saying I need to leave my system in BIOS for 8+ hours

Thank you for contacting us. The behavior you are describing is consistent with TRIM commands not executing on the drive (which may result from lots of writing and rewriting, especially OS installs, not done on the OS level). The accumulation of 'junk' data from file deletions, even reformats, basically clogs up the drive and reduces or sometimes even halts performance and can even dismount the drive. A secondary feature called Garbage Collection activates when the drive is powered, but has no data throughput, for an extended period, and does background cleanup on our SSDs which can make up for the lack of TRIM.

If this is the cause of your drive's behavior, a period of idling the drive without any data being written or read actively will improve its performance. We recommend you perform this idle period on a desktop computer because it allows you to only connect the SATA power connection. However, a USB enclosure with an external power source will also work. A laptop computer will also work, but you’ll have to connect the drive and navigate to the systems BIOS menu. (Please refer to your system manufacturer’s documentation on how to access the BIOS.)

oh wow thats bloody weird. TRIM isn't active by default in 7 though...but I assume you know about that.

#18 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 April 2013 - 22:00

Trim ought be enabled if he installed directly to the device..

When you get back into Windows, run this command in an elevated command line: fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the value it returns is 0, Trim is enabled.

#19 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 15 April 2013 - 22:04

Trim ought be enabled if he installed directly to the device..

7 doesn't enable it by default on any system that I'm aware of. I'd already switched to 8 when I got the Vertex 4 so I admit I couldn't tell you from experience.

#20 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 April 2013 - 22:38

Well, I can tell you it is >.> Was one of the key market push incentives when we were dealing with OEMs.

7 was the first (MS) SSD enabled OS. It's detected during install and set up that way >.<

#21 OP AndyD

AndyD

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:21

Running Win 8 and yeah Trim is activated.

I'll try tonight what was recommended by Crucial though it still sounds pretty weird to me

#22 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:21

Well, if your computer is constantly writing/reading, it won't activate trim, so it is possible..

Would be the first I have heard of it though >.>

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!