Photo

Smartphone advice, WP8 vs Android

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:45

Are you in the US? The primary reason I chose to abandon MS' platform is because their support in Canada is pretty terrible - crippled services and severely reduced app selection. Android has other issues - mainly with fragmentation seriously reducing the number of games you can get on any given device, but useful apps and services are just as well represented in Canada as the US. If you're not in the US, I'd say Android for sure, get a Nexus 4 unless there's a specific reason it's not suitable for you. If you're in the US, you'll have to start weighing whatever else is important to you.

#17 simrat

simrat

pooonjabi!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 603 Symbian belle fp2, Xperia SL 4.1.2

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:51

Only reason i am still keeping my Xperia SL is because of apps, thats it. That thing lags as hell even with dual core processor and 1 GB ram, its like running vista on Pentium 3 system. my mom's Lumia 510 runs much faster and smoother than my Xperia. Will only recommend Android if you are app freak, which you get bored of really quickly. For smoothness and lagfree experience, WP8 is best choice.

#18 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:53

Are you in the US? The primary reason I chose to abandon MS' platform is because their support in Canada is pretty terrible - crippled services and severely reduced app selection. Android has other issues - mainly with fragmentation seriously reducing the number of games you can get on any given device, but useful apps and services are just as well represented in Canada as the US. If you're not in the US, I'd say Android for sure, get a Nexus 4 unless there's a specific reason it's not suitable for you. If you're in the US, you'll have to start weighing whatever else is important to you.

lots of misinformation there. you can change the region to whatever you like in WP, from Canada,to U.S,to china, whatever,and you'll get that regions app selection. it doesn't matter where you actually reside. And what services are crippled exactly?

#19 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:59

All I can say is that if you do decide to go with Windows Phone, I can't recommend the Lumia 920. I loved my 900, but after upgrading to the 920 it's been hardware problem after hardware problem (well, maybe that's an exaggerated, but I've had to take my phone apart multiple times to fix everything from a cracked screen (yes, that was my fault :p) to a proximity device that had dust sneak in where Nokia somehow forgot to put a stopper between the device and the outside world). If you get one of the "good batches," that doesn't really have any problems, then it is a great phone, but I just can't recommend taking the risk (especially with the 8X being pretty good and the new Lumias being announced on just a few weeks - I'm currently looking at the EOS for my next phone).

as for web browsing on WP8, it's fine, but of course there's always to Webkit prefix problem (I've not really encountered any big problems, but if there's a site "designed for iPhone," chances are it won't work without some tweaking). You can always display it in "desktop view," though, and get basically a desktop IE9 rendering of the site).

It's been said a lot, but it's definitely true that it really depends what kind of device you like. Do you want a really customizable device where you can modify everything, install your own everything, etc. until it's nearly perfect, or are you OK with just a good range of hardware choices, but with an OS that's consistently "nice" and a consistency in app design and hardware/software support? Also, of course, take into account the fact that Microsoft might pull another WP7.8 deal, so getting a well-supported Android (thinking of the S4 here) device might be a better buy looking ahead.

#20 xDayan

xDayan

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:10

I have a 920 (WP8), And I love it but there are a few apps I do miss, (mainly the law books I bought on iOS for like 20 bucks ~_~, and there not on the Win Market Place) But the intergration into hotmail is amazing, really enjoy the how fast the os is, I had an iPhone 4 before (Thing lasted for 2 years of HARD use, and cracked about a week before the 920 came out) and it got really slow at the end. I'd say if you have much invested in the apple apps store stay with ios, but wait a few months as the new ones going to be coming out in the next 5 months, if not play with WP8, and try Android I personaly haven't used it, but the S4 is coming out soon, and I've heard good things about it...

#21 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:15

lots of misinformation there. you can change the region to whatever you like in WP, from Canada,to U.S,to china, whatever,and you'll get that regions app selection. it doesn't matter where you actually reside. And what services are crippled exactly?

If you change the region that's even worse, as you then lose access to local services. It's not a solution for anything. The entirety of Bing is crippled in Canada. Some of it they've fixed, but most of it is still just not available.

#22 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:00

If you change the region that's even worse, as you then lose access to local services. It's not a solution for anything.

what are you talking about. the phone uses your location for local services,not what region you have your phone set. My region is set to U.S,and if I go to bing,and do a local search for Chinese food for example,it shows me all these places close to my location. If I go to movies,it shows me play times in the theatres near me. bing local scout doesn't work,but that has nothing to do with setting your region,it just isn't supported in Canada period. All apps that serve location based results work properly.

The entirety of Bing is crippled in Canada. Some of it they've fixed, but most of it is still just not available.

Another false statement. Bing search,local,image,music,vision searches,voice and maps are all supported in Canada.

#23 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:20

Being available doesn't mean it's not crippled.

If you change the locale, you don't get access to Canadian local apps.

#24 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:40

WP is right up your alley.

#25 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:55

Being available doesn't mean it's not crippled.

stop making vague statements. what is crippled?

If you change the locale, you don't get access to Canadian local apps.

Jeez man,you were complaining that you cant get U.S apps,i suggested you can change the region to U.S and download them,and now you're complaining that you cant get canadian apps if you do that? you can freely switch the region and download whatever the hell you want to download from whatever region you want.

#26 tkaw220

tkaw220

Neowinian

Posted 29 April 2013 - 15:04

If Facebook and games (Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, etc,.) are important to you, you should get an Android phone.

#27 ThreadAbort

ThreadAbort

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 - Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 April 2013 - 15:13

If Facebook and games (Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, etc,.) are important to you, you should get an Android phone.

Actually the games on WP8 are great. There are some seriously nice games on it.

Those games you mentioned are on WP8. Lastly, Facebook is very integrated with the phone. You almost don't need the official application.

#28 R1pper

R1pper

In Search Of The (Difficult) Truth.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 15:23

WP is right up your alley.

LOL!
thank you General Melchett. ;)

as for lumia 920 hardware problems, well, for the first 2 month i had lumia920 i hated it, i thought about getting an android (just not galaxy, i despise galaxy design) but! after the first update the random freezes reduced by 60 70 %, and after the latest firmware update(5957.1308) from nokia, well, not only the problem has been completely gone, {and i tried to make it freeze, but no luck ;) } it became even more fluid\smooth!

now after i got use to wp8, i can't use android anymore, its sluggish in comparison, it feel like using win95 after using win7.

#29 tkaw220

tkaw220

Neowinian

Posted 29 April 2013 - 15:23

Actually the games on WP8 are great. There are some seriously nice games on it.

Those games you mentioned are on WP8. Lastly, Facebook is very integrated with the phone. You almost don't need the official application.

This is just my own opinion after spending 3 months with Galaxy Note 2 and the Nokia 920. The official Facebook app on Note 2 is far superior than WP8. At least I still do not know to share a post from WP8 :-/

#30 OP Mainer82

Mainer82

Neowinian

• Phone: Motorola 4 yr old flip phone

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:03

I decided to to with the Lumia 928 through Verizon and so far I am really enjoying this phone! Since so many mentioned FB on WP8 being bad, I don't agree, it works well for what I need when using it in mobile form. The games are great too, they list keeps growing.

IMG_3142-s.jpg