• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 26 April 2013 - 14:28

You can dilute the impact of your product by offering too much information to your competitors before you launch, nothing wrong with a bit of hype though :)

I'm aware, broski. I just don't like doubt.

#17 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 23
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 April 2013 - 15:38

Mediatemple is great indeed but if you get too much visitors I suggest to use amazon hosting because of the costs :p

#18 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 April 2013 - 15:42

If you do this frequently, you'd likely be better off with Azure or EC2, easy to scale on demand (up or down).

#19 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 29 April 2013 - 20:04

If you do this frequently, you'd likely be better off with Azure or EC2, easy to scale on demand (up or down).

You guys are probably right about the demand with Azure or EC2. I was also thinking about Cloud just in case a server were to go down or images and files could be corrupt on a process.

#20 mt_Aaron

mt_Aaron

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 03 May 2013 - 19:53

Hey, Mr. XXIV --

Aaron from (mt) Media Temple here.

First of all, thanks for starting a conversation about this. There's a lot of information out there, and a lot of misinformation, so it's always nice to see people doing their due diligence when it comes to making a pretty important decision.

The first thing I wanted to get to the bottom of was your specific project. We have more solutions available than most people are aware of: pricing, specs, support, etc. The main thing is to make sure you're on the right solution, even if that might be the lowest-cost one available.

To dispel some rumors that seem to be floating around, we don't throttle or cut your site off in the event that you go over the allotments associated with whatever plan you get. Most of what I've found from some of our clients is that companies that offer "unlimited" actually monitor it to make sure you don't use "too much" and will attempt to upsell you on a plan that fits them better. Our main focus and commitment to our clients is transparency, which means we avoid surprises and never hold your server hostage.

Were there any specific details on the Nitro you wanted? Conversations like this eventually evolve to a more hospitable medium (email, phone, etc.), so if you want to talk things out, I can DM whatever contact info you need.

AWKM - I am curious what your personal experience with (mt) Media Temple has been in the past. It sounds like you didn't have a great one, and that's certainly something we'd like to get some feedback on.

Mainly, I just wanted to let you know I'm around if you need anything.

Great conversation, everyone! Thanks for letting me jump in, haha.

-Aaron

#21 Saeb Msarwa

Saeb Msarwa

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:07

Is it a specific Social Network maybe like a niche? or just like facebook general?

Sorry for off topic, But if I were you I would go with cloud, some companies I know:-
Azure
Amazon EC2
Rackspace
Internap
Softlayer [Pricey]
Edgecast [CDN]

#22 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:13

Is it a specific Social Network maybe like a niche? or just like facebook general?

Sorry for off topic, But if I were you I would go with cloud, some companies I know:-
Azure
Amazon EC2
Rackspace
Internap
Softlayer [Pricey]
Edgecast [CDN]

It's a niche, but more detailed than the usual sites. I'm trying to socially integrate it as much as possible later on.

I'll think about the cloud. It's how I want the infrastructure of the social network's core that worries me.