hackintosh apple

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 April 2013 - 13:39

Hey Guys! So I just installed my 1st hackintosh last night using nawcom mod to boot and a retail copy of OS X Snow Leopard.

System Specs:
AMD X3 450 3.2 GHz @ AMD Phenom II X4 B50 (Unlocked 4th core)
Asus M4N98TD EVO
8GB Crucial 1333MHz DDR3
NVIDIA 550TI

I have Snow Leopard fully installed, however I have no sound, no networking, no graphics, and I'm really jumpy about installing Chameleon.

I'm at work right now, and they blocked the guide that I used to install so I can't post it, however I can tell you I selected the legacy kernel, voodoo, nforce, and unchecked graphics enabler and sleep enabler.

I did some research and I found this guide to install Chameleon:
http://www.insanelym...ly-v-2-and-v-1/

Is this...right? Will it not bork my install?

While doing my research I also found that you have to repair disk permissions in order for the kext to work correctly. So are the above listed kext in the right place but I just have to fix the permissions in disk utility?

How do I update? It would be killer if I could get the MAS, iTunes 11, etc. From what I read, you have to download the combo update from apple.com, install it, reinstall Chameleon, and pray it doesn't kernel panic. lol. Is this right? Any tips/tricks? What to do if it goes south?

I have a Logitech G110 Keyboard. It lights up, however it does not type. I used a $15 dollar wireless usb keyboard to install. Is it just a matter of installing the software from Logitech or is it a bigger issue?

Thanks guys! I'm a n00b when it comes to hackintoshes, and I greatly appreciate any help, advice, guidance.

One side thought: OMG it's fast! Apps bounce once on the dock and it's up and ready to go! :)

#2 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 April 2013 - 15:46

You should try to get Mountain Lion, I'm sure driver support will be better.

#3 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 29 April 2013 - 15:53

This is where you'll get the kexts (drivers) for Hackintosh :

http://www.osx86.net/

This may also help:

http://www.insanelym...r-bios-and-aml/

(Be very careful with DSDT though, it is possible to make a custom bios but if you do it wrong it could brick your motherboard)

#4 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 April 2013 - 15:54

What Rudy said - You might want to try asking over at tonymacx86.com - I'm sure you would get more help over there as there are a few uptight people on Neowin who don't like this kind of stuff. Not that it's bad or anything I have my own Hackintosh but people tend to stay away from these threads :(

#5 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 April 2013 - 16:22

You should try to get Mountain Lion, I'm sure driver support will be better.

I'll try it out. :) I think I still have my Mountain Lion .dmg ...somewhere...

What Rudy said - You might want to try asking over at tonymacx86.com - I'm sure you would get more help over there as there are a few uptight people on Neowin who don't like this kind of stuff. Not that it's bad or anything I have my own Hackintosh but people tend to stay away from these threads :(

I know what you mean. People these days are so over sensitive. I own a real mac, however it's a 2006 Macbook and it's starting to show it's age. There's some members here that really know what they're doing when it comes to hackintoshes. I thought for sure Boz was going to be all over this within 5 minutes of me posting. :D

This is where you'll get the kexts (drivers) for Hackintosh :

http://www.osx86.net/
This may also help:
http://www.insanelym...r-bios-and-aml/
(Be very careful with DSDT though, it is possible to make a custom bios but if you do it wrong it could brick your motherboard)

Thanks for the kext link, but I have no interest in messing with custom BIOS's. I have had bad experiences with flashing firmwares. :)

#6 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 April 2013 - 16:26

I don't have answers to your specific questions, but I will tell you that the chances of getting this to work 100% is slim to none, just bear that in mind while you're looking for solutions.

I will answer this question though, the fastest and easiest way to deal with kernal panics after updates is to wipe and reinstall. Once you get a good setup going, clone that and keep it as a back up, and make sure you always try to change things incrementally so you can go back.

*edit* - For further clarification, I had a hackintosh in the past, and doing reinstalls using a loader often caused just as many issues as an update did, however a working copy cloned never presented a problem.

#7 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:21

get rid of the 550ti and get a ATI. if you want Hackintosh best to use common hardware makes life alot easier. Built a couple myself.

#8 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:30

ATi graphics card with a Gigabyte Mother board is the way to go for a successful Hackintosh - you can get it using others but its a harder process

#9 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:36

I can only suggest user Boz, he might be able to help you, I remember he built himself a hackintosh earlier this year......

http://www.neowin.ne...user/38280-boz/

#10 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:08

I'd be careful running OSX on AMD, there isn't much support for it.

#11 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:47

ATi graphics card with a Gigabyte Mother board is the way to go for a successful Hackintosh - you can get it using others but its a harder process

This, I didn't notice that the OP has a 550Ti. Sound and networking will probably be a hassle with any configuration, but if you get an ATi card that has already been in a Mac Pro or iMac (more likely Mac Pro as they use more standard GPUs), you should have no problems getting the graphics up and running.

#12 SkyDX

SkyDX

Anime Computer Enthusiast^^

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:28

Hmm all I can say to help is that even if you bork your install a simple re-install without formatting the partition should get you back running without losing too much progress :/ I want to install Snow Leopard myself again but having a X-FI Xtreme Gamer PCI I would have no sound and it would be annoying to plug my speakers into the onboard card each time I switch OSs >.<

#13 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:34

I would recomment iaktos releases as they have all drivers and checks on the images already BUT no amd support at all.