phpbb2 setup help

Question

Please put as much detail into your answers as you can because im very new to this.

Before you install phpBB 2.0 you need to create a Data Source Name. The exact way to do this will depend on your hosting provider, if you are unsure you should check with them before proceeding

What is a data source name?

In general though you should create a System DSN which points to the location where you have stored an unzipped copy of the ms_access_primer.mdb file ( ms_access_primer.zip can be found in db/schemas/).

I understand where the file is but I dont understand what they mean by point the dsn to the location of that file.. www.domain.com/phpbb2/ms_access_primer.mdb?

Now about the uploading of the phpbb2 files. Should I place them in a folder located at, www.domain.com/phpbb2? or where would be best..

The first step of the MySQL database creation wizard allows you to create a database. In the Name of database field enter the name of the database you are creating. This name will be used later when you connect to the database from any database clients or tools

so if I name it, phpbb2, to connect to it, it will use the url www.domain.com/phpbb2? :ermm:

Thanks. :)

6 answers to this question

Alright.....

This whole part of your first post

{

Please put as much detail into your answers as you can because im very new to this.

Before you install phpBB 2.0 you need to create a Data Source Name. The exact way to do this will depend on your hosting provider, if you are unsure you should check with them before proceeding

What is a data source name?

In general though you should create a System DSN which points to the location where you have stored an unzipped copy of the ms_access_primer.mdb file ( ms_access_primer.zip can be found in db/schemas/).

I understand where the file is but I dont understand what they mean by point the dsn to the location of that file.. www.domain.com/phpbb2/ms_access_primer.mdb?

}

Ignore all that....

Step 1...upload all the files to a folder on your server wherever it may be.....if you're hosted at www.mysite.com I'd put it at www.mysite.com/phpbb2

Basically it's quite simple....after you've copied the files up you have to make sure you have a database created for phpbb2...

connect to your mysql server and create a database...once you have the databae created run the install script that comes with phpbb2...

it woudl be www.mysite.com/phpbb2/install.php

if will ask for some basic information...such as the username and password to your mysql server and where its located (presumably put localhost as phpbb will be running from the serving computer)...just supply the install script with that information....

then it will try to download a config file...if it can't it will prompt you to download it...do so and place it in the root dir of phpbb2 (www.mysite.com/phpbb2)

after you have the config file there you should be able to access your board.

sure thing...

you know where you uploaded the files...

www.yoursite.com/installdirofphpbb2

well now you run www.yoursite.com/installdirofphpbb2/install.php

BTW, is this release candidate 2 because if it is there was an error in the original install.php file.

open install.php with any editor you want and change line 758....

Change it from

$db->sql_query($sql))

To

$db->sql_query($sql);

Save it.

Now open a web browser and go to www.yoursite.com/phpbb2/install.php

You should see a screen asking for a bunch of configuration options. Leave the first 3 options alone (i.e. English, MySQL 3.x, Install). For the next four options, you will need the information your host has given you. The first of the four asks for the location of the database server. You will probably enter "localhost" (no quotes) unless you know for sure that your database is hosted on another server. Your database must have been created in advance by your web host, and you will enter the name in the second line. The username and password should have been given to you by your host, but I'll bet they probably will be the same as your web FTP username and password. For simplicity, leave the "Prefix for tables in database" as phpbb_

On the next three options, you must create an administrator account. This is the person who has total control over the board, and is needed to do the initial set up.

Next you'll get the part about the config file....

Most likely it will tell you that it can't write the config file. Select the option to "send the file to me." download this file somewhere on your computer where you can find it.........upload that file into the directory where you installed phpbb2.....

www.mysite.com/phpbb2/

that's it...if you did everything properly you can go to www.yoursite.com/phpbb2 and the board will be there for you!

Good Luck

the editor found two lines with the same text. Which do I change?

$sql = "SELECT VERSION() AS mysql_version";

if($result = $db->sql_query($sql))

{

$row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result);

$version = $row['mysql_version'];

if( preg_match("/^(3.23)|(4.)/", $version) )

{

$sql = "ALTER TABLE " . $table_prefix . "sessions

TYPE=HEAP";

$db->sql_query($sql))

Ok yeah I see the error. I typed the address wrong is why it didnt go the first time :dead:

Check your pm box pinky