Question

Posted

i am looking for a laptop to surf the web watch videos i only game on consoles so i was thinking about the samsung chromebook below

[url="http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/chrome-os-devices/XE303C12-A01US"]http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/chrome-os-devices/XE303C12-A01US[/url]

i rip a lot of dvds on my windows laptop and send them to my 10TB nas storage so i want ot be able to watch mp4 vidoes on it as well.

thats about all .

has anyone used this chromebook how is it ?

thanks

9 answers to this question

Posted

Yikes not a single reply ill take that as stay away from chromebooks thanks lol

Posted

I owned a Samsung ChromeBook

You can watch MP4 videos however i did this locally with an SD card as im not sure how you would do this over the network, unless the NAS has a web front end with the ability to stream.

The chromebook will surf the net without a problem, i didn't have any.

I think generally the video will be your sticking point so it might be worth putting in a few extra $ and getting a cheap windows laptop that will allow you to access your nas and view videos across your network.

Posted

As long as your network drive got an option to stream media over http it will work nicely on chromeOS. In the new chromebook you get a 'native' media player that can play a variety of audio and video file types: MP3, Ogg Vorbis, AIF, WAV, and MP4 videos.

Posted

If all you're looking to do is web surf, email, and watch videos then the chromebook might work for you. The price is good, just know that your getting a browser box mainly.

Posted

We have one in our house, it's a decent little computer. The battery life has been impressive and it's nice and light. A $150 will get you a fully functioning Windows 8 computer, but not in that same form factor.

Posted

I actually don't have so many details on chrome OS, but I get the idea.
PC is for Computer stuff, not merely gaming.Console is merely for gaming.
So, I can agree with you on the possibility of Chrome books.I might add Linux Joli cloud system.It is very close to Chrome OS, yet, built on linux . As far as I recall 2 years ago, it had VLC built in.
Good luck with more info from our friends here

Posted

I own one and love it. It's great for most tasks, but obviously it isn't for everything. I watch MP4 movies from a USB drive. AVI doesn't work. And the darn thing won't connect to my network.

Posted

I decided on a dell laptop that has windows 8 for 349.00 I'm going to put fedora 19 on it and be happy happy happy thanks for the input.

Posted

Hope you enjoy your purchase. :)