ADSL 2+ internet connection only running slightly faster than ADSL 1 speed

I recently upgraded from ADSL 1 to ADSL 2+, however download speed has only increased about 30KB (much lower than expected).

I have tried two different modems - no difference. The internet company can't see any issues at their end.The ADSL 2+ profile is selected on the ISP side.

I have also tried different PCs (including Linux) - all machines download at the same speed.

I checked the wiring in my roof. It's probably 30 to 40 years old. It's all laid out in a straight line, and looks okay. I'm not sure if modern phone cable is any different. Removing the ADSL/phone line filter only increases the speed a few kilobytes. The line coming into the roof (from the termination block outside) is figure-8 cable (just a short length I think).

PCs connect to the modem via Ethernet (I tried different cables too - no difference).

Below are stats from my modem. From this, is there any obvious problems? Do I need to rewire my phone line? Is there any obvious differences between your modem stats and mine?

Statistics--------------Downstream-------Upstream

Line Rate---------------3040 Kbps--------992 Kbps

Attainable Line Rate----3360 Kbps--------1196 Kbps

Noise Margin------------8.8 dB-----------10.0 dB

Line Attenuation--------41.0 dB----------24.5 dB

Output Power------------17.8 dBm---------12.3 dBm

How far are you away from the exchange, and what's the general quality of your phone line? The wiring in my house is pretty horrible, but I still get between 6-7Mbps.

Your stats seem a bit on a bad side. How far away from the exchange are you supposed to be? Anything else on the line that could be affecting it? Fax/other phones not being filtered etc?

How far are you away from the exchange, and what's the general quality of your phone line? The wiring in my house is pretty horrible, but I still get between 6-7Mbps.

Under 10 kilometers away (probably 5). The audio quality on the line is great - no distortion at all.

Your stats seem a bit on a bad side. How far away from the exchange are you supposed to be? Anything else on the line that could be affecting it? Fax/other phones not being filtered etc?

I will find out the exact distance. The only other device is a phone/fax machine, however the problem is still there when it's unplugged.

Perhaps I need to be put onto a new telephone line.

The internet company can't see any issues at their end.
It would be surprising to see one of these companies came forward with their problems. Upgrading means nothing if you are capped by ****/long cabling.

They should sell their stuff with the minimum rates available in the area and and not the maximum rates of the technology used.

3.3 kilometers is the exact distance to the exchange.

I was told a bit more by my ISP this time: ADSL 1 and ADSL 2 work on different frequency spectrums. To get ADSL 2+ speeds, the distance to the exchange needs to be under 2 to 2.5 kilometers.

So, I think I've got to the bottom of the problem. Probably the only solution is to move onto a different ISP.

I will check what my neighbours speeds are.

Thanks all for your help! :)

-----DSL Information-----

DSL Driver Version:A2pD035a.d23f

DSL VPI/VCI:8/35

DSL Status:Up

DSL Mode:ADSL_2plus

DSL UpStream Rate (Kbps):1020

DSL DownStream Rate (Kbps):10937

Down Up

DSL Noise Margin (0.1 dB): 92 112

DSL Attenuation (0.1 dB): 420 258

DSL Transmit Power (0.1 dB): 0 128

thats the best i can sync and im atleast a bit more than 3kms away from mine :/

Well, let me give you some of the info that I found out even thought your in AU. When a telco contractor buries cable, they probably pay per foot the contractor that does it. So even though you are 10km away, they could have buried 20km worth of cable just to make the extra $$. I would also call the telco and have them send someone out to check all the connections around your house, and see if anything is corroded or loose. Then if that doesn't work, run a dedicated wire from the NID to the modem and see what happens. 90% of the time they tell you everything is fine, when in actuality they have a problem but are to lazy or cheap to fix it on their side. I have 6MB/WiMax, and my ISP still tells me nothing is wrong with speed when I can only attain .12MB/down and .26 up.