Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on (some new in-depth info, some we already knew):
- Some components are still being refined (like the d-pad and overall weight)
- Deadzone on the analog sticks has been greatly reduced.
- Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.
- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.
- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.
- Stuck with symmetrical design because the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick.
- Touchpad is multi-touch, replaces start and select buttons.
- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.
- There is a small speaker above the ps button, below the touchpad.
- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.
- Controller felt comfortable and sturdy.
- Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.
- Writer of the article says the controller is a big reason for gamers to be excited for the console.
Sounds like a great improvement!