Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

File recovery - stupid me

12 posts in this topic

Posted

So

Posted

My friend recently accidentally wiped 1.8TB of data which included the partition.

What i used was PartedMagic on a pendrive and used the PhotoRec app. While it may sound like a photo recovery tool, it recovers a lot more and will recover data regardless of file system used.

It took forever (about a day and a half). It did however recover about 1.2TB of data. Even some really old files.

Might be worth giving that a try.

Posted

My friend recently accidentally wiped 1.8TB of data which included the partition.

What i used was PartedMagic on a pendrive and used the PhotoRec app. While it may sound like a photo recovery tool, it recovers a lot more and will recover data regardless of file system used.

It took forever (about a day and a half). It did however recover about 1.TB of data. Even some really old files.

Might be worth giving that a try.

I done some reading on that a few days back and it does seem quite good, defiantly one for the toolbox over the weekend. Thanks for your reply.

Posted

I used a copy of getdataback all one word, when I erased 50k of my MP3s by accident. 2hrs and I had everything back. I deleted my HD partition by accident.

http://www.runtime.o...ry-software.htm its like $80 but worked great.

Posted

I used a copy of getdataback all one word, when I erased 50k of my MP3s by accident. 2hrs and I had everything back. I deleted my HD partition by accident.

http://www.runtime.o...ry-software.htm its like $80 but worked great.

I haven't heard of this before but Id be willing to pay the cash just for the convenience. I will have a look, hopefully they give a trial so I can see what they can potentially restore.

Posted

I haven't heard of this before but Id be willing to pay the cash just for the convenience. I will have a look, hopefully they give a trial so I can see what they can potentially restore.

They do have a demo. They have been around for a while. Was 10 years ago when I deleted my MP3s.

Posted

They do have a demo. They have been around for a while. Was 10 years ago when I deleted my MP3s.

Im going to have a look now

Posted

Im going to have a look now

Cool. Let me know how that goes. Have not used it for a while.

Posted

Cool. Let me know how that goes. Have not used it for a while.

I have taken the opportunity and decided to double my storage capacity - The new drive should be delivered by Amazon tomorrow. First task will be to try and restore what i can from the deleted partition on the current/soon to be old drive. Thanks for your reply.

Posted

TestDisk and PhotoRec are my favorite file recovery tools; been using both for some years now and I've been able to rescue whole NTFS partitions or just files with a very high success rate, even when the disks aren't recognized in Windows anymore or just plain failed, as long the rotating servo works.

Posted

TestDisk and PhotoRec are my favorite file recovery tools; been using both for some years now and I've been able to rescue whole NTFS partitions or just files with a very high success rate, even when the disks aren't recognized in Windows anymore or just plain failed, as long the rotating servo works.

Much appreciated

Posted

Also I've always used the Linux version; it can take quite allot of time to recover (because the "hammering" those apps do to the disk), but at least it can recover; the disk is trash anyways so...

glad to help :)