recovery deletion

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 3,091 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:48

So… I used Norton Ghost to restore a Windows partition and somehow (and I will never know how, and have never done this in the 10 years I’ve owned Norton Ghost) I selected the wrong partition and ended up wiping a 800GB of a data storage partition and writing 8GB of a Windows OS partition onto it.

Now I’m not crazy, I do keep backups so the important stuff has not been lost however I have lost some basic stuff that I never got round to backing up and I’ve also lost the last 3 weeks of useful files.

I’ve done lots of reading on partition/folder/file restoration but have yet to find software that’s used and recommended by people I trust. At this point I thought my brothers and sisters at Neowin may be able to offer some recommendations based on what they know works – not just on what is found on a Google search.

So any recommendations or advice on the subject?

#2 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,769 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:58

My friend recently accidentally wiped 1.8TB of data which included the partition.
What i used was PartedMagic on a pendrive and used the PhotoRec app. While it may sound like a photo recovery tool, it recovers a lot more and will recover data regardless of file system used.
It took forever (about a day and a half). It did however recover about 1.2TB of data. Even some really old files.

Might be worth giving that a try.

#3 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 3,091 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 17:00

My friend recently accidentally wiped 1.8TB of data which included the partition.
What i used was PartedMagic on a pendrive and used the PhotoRec app. While it may sound like a photo recovery tool, it recovers a lot more and will recover data regardless of file system used.
It took forever (about a day and a half). It did however recover about 1.TB of data. Even some really old files.

Might be worth giving that a try.

I done some reading on that a few days back and it does seem quite good, defiantly one for the toolbox over the weekend. Thanks for your reply.

#4 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,644 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 17:53

I used a copy of getdataback all one word, when I erased 50k of my MP3s by accident. 2hrs and I had everything back. I deleted my HD partition by accident.

http://www.runtime.o...ry-software.htm its like $80 but worked great.

#5 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 3,091 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 17:59

I used a copy of getdataback all one word, when I erased 50k of my MP3s by accident. 2hrs and I had everything back. I deleted my HD partition by accident.

http://www.runtime.o...ry-software.htm its like $80 but worked great.

I haven't heard of this before but Id be willing to pay the cash just for the convenience. I will have a look, hopefully they give a trial so I can see what they can potentially restore.

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,644 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 18:00

I haven't heard of this before but Id be willing to pay the cash just for the convenience. I will have a look, hopefully they give a trial so I can see what they can potentially restore.

They do have a demo. They have been around for a while. Was 10 years ago when I deleted my MP3s.

#7 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 3,091 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 18:01

They do have a demo. They have been around for a while. Was 10 years ago when I deleted my MP3s.

Im going to have a look now

#8 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,644 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 18:04

Im going to have a look now

Cool. Let me know how that goes. Have not used it for a while.

#9 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 3,091 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 18:20

Cool. Let me know how that goes. Have not used it for a while.

I have taken the opportunity and decided to double my storage capacity - The new drive should be delivered by Amazon tomorrow. First task will be to try and restore what i can from the deleted partition on the current/soon to be old drive. Thanks for your reply.

#10 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,513 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:10

TestDisk and PhotoRec are my favorite file recovery tools; been using both for some years now and I've been able to rescue whole NTFS partitions or just files with a very high success rate, even when the disks aren't recognized in Windows anymore or just plain failed, as long the rotating servo works.

#11 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 3,091 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:13

TestDisk and PhotoRec are my favorite file recovery tools; been using both for some years now and I've been able to rescue whole NTFS partitions or just files with a very high success rate, even when the disks aren't recognized in Windows anymore or just plain failed, as long the rotating servo works.

Much appreciated

#12 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,513 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 14:11

Also I've always used the Linux version; it can take quite allot of time to recover (because the "hammering" those apps do to the disk), but at least it can recover; the disk is trash anyways so...

glad to help :)