• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 12 May 2013 - 13:51

Servers react very differently to desktop computers to configuration errors, especially on complicated network setups. Hardware issues rarely cause anything that specific, it's the same point of failure every single time and hardware failures would be unlikely to cause that.

No they don't.

Theres no problem with the connection to domain controller - its just that as I said earlier there is a 30 second delay in connection on boot so usually I log in with offline cached credentials then the server comes online after login

I always had that problem when I had a 2003 machine act as a domain controller, it would boot up in about 20 seconds normally but as soon as I converted it to a domain controller, it'd take about 3 minutes.

#17 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 30

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:03

Wouldn't mind seeing event logs. Specifically at the time of occurence. Doesn't exactly sound hardware related to me. Could be an update causing issues or windows update itself pulling an update, installing it, and then making the server unresponsive until a reboot (this has happened to me several times). Could be antivirus issues, could be a ton of things but the event logs would be a good place to start.

#18 OP RATiO

RATiO

Neowinian

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:49

Wouldn't mind seeing event logs. Specifically at the time of occurence. Doesn't exactly sound hardware related to me. Could be an update causing issues or windows update itself pulling an update, installing it, and then making the server unresponsive until a reboot (this has happened to me several times). Could be antivirus issues, could be a ton of things but the event logs would be a good place to start.

No AV, Windows update is set to not look for drivers on Windows update, I have scoured the event logs and I mean it when I say there is nothing in there to help with this error

#19 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 30

Posted 13 May 2013 - 15:11

Although drivers is a good call, that wasn't my issue. It was with server updates. Find out what time you are loosing it and compare to events during that time. It won't be an error event it will be one of the thousand informational. You may have to increase logging information you will get a ton of information and will need t narrow it down by exact date and time. Perhaps a ping with a time stamp. You can do a crude one by creating a log file each time a ping occurs with a scheduled task. You can then get it to a minute or 5. I would do that first before increasing the logging level.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314980