Kernel 3.9 messed up my sound?

kernel 3.9 sound messed up

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson

Anonymous

Posted 13 May 2013 - 20:36

I find this funny really, this problem is clearly related to your configuration or your system. Not the kernel nor the arch team. I have the 3.9 kernel (see below) and my sound hasn't took a hit in the slightest using both my Logitech USB headset and my Onboard Intel sound.

All you appear to be doing in this thread is distro bashing with no interest in finding out why your system didnt like the 3.9 update.

Posted Image

#17 sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson

Anonymous

Posted 13 May 2013 - 21:09

have you tried, disabling alsa, disabling p/a then re-enabling them both and removing the kernel module and re modprobing? (rmmod snd_hda_intel && modprobe snd_hda_intel) Also may be required to re-set your default sound card.

#18 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 21:12

And I just installed Ubuntu 13.04 no problems... it even detected my creative x-fi usb soundcard and runs steam, man...

#19 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 13 May 2013 - 21:19

have you tried, disabling alsa, disabling p/a then re-enabling them both and removing the kernel module and re modprobing? (rmmod snd_hda_intel && modprobe snd_hda_intel) Also may be required to re-set your default sound card.

It's unrelated to pulseaudio, logging in to fluxbox or console without starting pulseaudio shows the same problem. Removing and reloading the kernel module gives the same result. Resetting default sound card doesn't matter as there's only one sound card in the system.

And I just installed Ubuntu 13.04 no problems... it even detected my creative x-fi usb soundcard and runs steam, man...

I'm planning to hit debian stable up and give that a go.

#20 sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson

Anonymous

Posted 13 May 2013 - 21:24

Resetting default sound card doesn't matter as there's only one sound card in the system.

Have you tried it, I have 1 sound card in the system but there are two options. one is my sound card, the other is a generic stub.

#21 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2013 - 21:32

Have you tried it, I have 1 sound card in the system but there are two options. one is my sound card, the other is a generic stub.

Just tried it and it's no different.

#22 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:16

I think you're getting a bit confused between using the normal arch linux repos and the TESTING arch linux repos.
Yes, arch IS a rolling release system, but that's for the testing repos, the whole idea of arch is brand spanking new packages are put into testing and tested to see if anyone finds any problems with them or whatnot and then once they're verified to be usable, they're moved into the normal repos. Moving kernel 3.9 when sound is completely messed up from testing to normal signifies to me that either the arch team don't do enough testing/are too eager to move things over or the hardware this affects is relatively small (I don't know what it does this on other than my system).
I've never used the testing repos and don't see why it's supposedly my fault if something like this comes from a package in the normal repo. The biggest difference between testing things and normal things is testing are meant to have untested features that might have stability problems or be wrongly implemented, they're not meant to break rather large features that worked absolutely fine in all previous versions.

I am not confused, arch is a self-proclaimed bleeding edge distro. Even the packages in stable are more cutting edge than most other distros, and add the fact that its an uncompromising rolling release. A lot of people like this about arch and that's why they use it, but you shouldn't expect absolute stability out of it.

With more stable non rolling release distros, the packages they are using generally have way more testing than anything in arch's stable repos, and normal updates generally don't break things because its more limited to smaller bugfix and security updates (although when you do a dist-upgrade to a new major versions thats when things can certainly break). With arch you are pretty much always doing a "dist-upgrade", but in smaller increments if you update often. Any arch update can update core parts of your system to totally new major versions, and this can introduce major regressions.

I'm not saying its 'your fault' that kernel 3.9 broke your sound, thats probably some sort of upstream kernel bug, what I am saying is that your expectations of a cutting edge rolling release distribution to be regression-free is unrealistic.

With arch you get the latest versions of upstream software, and when you use the latest versions of upsteam software, you get the latest bugs of upstream software.

#23 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:20

(although things can certainly break doing a dist-upgrade to a new major version).

:rofl: :rolleyes:

#24 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:40

Well yes I agree arch is bleeding edge and that's nice, but I've always been under the assumption that testing was for the bleeding edge packages and the normal repos were for packages that were tested and are confirmed working and not borked hence why gnome 3.6 stayed in testing for a long time?
Maybe it's not like that then. I've got some free time anyway now so I'll be giving debian stable a try and see if it's worth moving my servers over to that.

Has anyone ever bothered with LFS (Linux from scratch)? I know it'd be a pain in the arse in terms of old files left all over the place but starting to think it's worth compiling everything from scratch and that'll show all the errors and whatnot better than things like this and the GCC bug.

#25 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 13 May 2013 - 23:34

Unless his backup system is exactly the same, that would be irrelevant.

So? That does not matter if it is same system or not. He needs a backup/test system so he could test any apps or OS to make sure it works properly...

If not working, you can always rollback to previous version or install an alternative distro...

I have primary system that works fine... I have backup which is for testing so I could make sure it runs/works well.

I am not that stupid to install unstable or buggy app/OS on my primary system...

If my friends come by to borrow my system... I let them to use my testing system for a bit. I wouldn't let anyone to use my primary system..

#26 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 13 May 2013 - 23:41

So? That does not matter if it is same system or not. He needs a backup/test system so he could test any apps or OS to make sure it works properly...

If not working, you can always rollback to previous version or install an alternative distro...

I have primary system that works fine... I have backup which is for testing so I could make sure it runs/works well.

I am not that stupid to install unstable or buggy app/OS on my primary system...

If my friends come by to borrow my system... I let them to use my testing system for a bit. I wouldn't let anyone to use my primary system..

Isn't that it handles Intel sound cards differently than Realtek ones?

#27 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 May 2013 - 15:23

Isn't that it handles Intel sound cards differently than Realtek ones?

I don't use the sounds on the systems... I use stereo/reciever in the living room. My friends use their ipod/iphone for their music if they come by to play the games with me.

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 14 May 2013 - 20:23

I don't use the sounds on the systems... I use stereo/reciever in the living room. My friends use their ipod/iphone for their music if they come by to play the games with me.

..... what....

#29 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:51

..... what....

what what?