19 replies to this topic

#16 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 18 May 2013 - 21:21

Look t the first 3 years of the 360.

So 2005-2008?

I don't see anything particularly awesome. Project Gotham Racing 4 & Forza, maybe. Halo 3 was Sept. 2007. GoW2 Nov. 2008.

I don't know how complete this list is but there isn't a lot of greatness there (especially from your time frame). What games from that time frame do you consider to be great exclusives?

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 May 2013 - 21:46

PGR3, PGR4, Kameo, Crackdown, Forza 2, Saints Row, PDZ was supposedly great, DoA4, Amped was loved by the snowboarders who wanted a less SSX experience, GoW naturally, Ninja Gaiden, Lost Odyssey, Too Human(yes I liked it)

there seems to be a few missing from that list as I recall though.

compare it to the same timeframe on the PS3, first year nothing, naturally, and the next two years, well not spotting any awesome exclusives there. the point is that the money spent on exclusives drop of heavily towards the launch of a new generation though.

#18 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 19 May 2013 - 13:41

So 2005-2008?

I don't see anything particularly awesome. Project Gotham Racing 4 & Forza, maybe. Halo 3 was Sept. 2007. GoW2 Nov. 2008.

I don't know how complete this list is but there isn't a lot of greatness there (especially from your time frame). What games from that time frame do you consider to be great exclusives?

Mass Effect and Bioshock should be in that list :)

#19 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:56

I don't get why people count exclusives as the only thing that matters on a console. During 2005-2008, the PS3 was an incredibly expensive console and not as mature as the 360 - Xbox had a fully up and running online service, achievements, centralised DLC system... PS3 didn't have the luxuries we have right now, such as Trophies or PS+. The 360 was the overall more compelling system choice, so naturally, even multi-platform games swung moreso in the 360's favour. Plus, the PS3 wasn't even available in 2005, and for the overwhelming majority of 2006 (or if you're in Europe, not at all). The 360 had some great console-exclusives which didn't always cater to the demographic the Xbox was searching for - Kameo, Blue Dragon, Katamari Damacy and Viva Pinata spring to mind (and probably others), which is why people think that the first few years were all FPS FPS FPS FPS FPS. In fact, I'm willing to bet the FPS genre had fewer great games then all other genres combined, but people (mostly fanboys) don't care to see it this way.

This time around however, the next gen Xbox and Playstation will be releasing at the same time, and while we don't know what MS has planned, Sony have some great things planned for the console, and even prefer genre-neutrality then the FPS FPS FPS FPS mentality. Comparing the launches of the PS3/360 and the PS4/720 make no sense at all.

#20 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 21 May 2013 - 16:05

I don't get why people count exclusives as the only thing that matters on a console.

Not the only thing, but I think it is one of the most important aspects. If you can only afford one console or the other the games available might be a deciding factor.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!