lumia 920 htc one

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 20 May 2013 - 23:16

The one thing that REALLY annoys me about Android is that for what ever reason they decided to combine the Notification with the Ringtone volume and made it one. I HATE THAT. When I sleep at night I like to have my notifications get muted but I still want to get phone phonecalls. I've gone in and unselected the "link notifications and rintones" under sounds but that didn't separated them.

Try an app called "Lightflow"

#32 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 21 May 2013 - 00:25

While I really like Visual Studio.NET (Currently using 2012 for most of the applications I develop). Eclipse is not a horrible IDE compared to VS. Both of them have features I like/dislike.

you cant possibly say that with a straight face. there is no comparison.

#33 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:42

Have the allowed you to change the system font size? This was a big problem for my mum when she purchased a Nokia WP, the text in the SMS messaging app was too small for her to see and I saw no way of increasing the font size.

#34 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:36

Have the allowed you to change the system font size? This was a big problem for my mum when she purchased a Nokia WP, the text in the SMS messaging app was too small for her to see and I saw no way of increasing the font size.

yes. wp8 lets you change the text size in the settings.

#35 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:52

My Mom who happens to be a bigger gadget freak than me has tried em all, she currently has a 910, a 920, and an iPhone 4S, she's used Android and got me to switch from BB back in the Cupcake days. She told me the other day that she's switching back to Android soon, she likes her WP device but it's lacking in features she needs for work, iOS doesn't seem to cooperate too well with it, so Android is her only choice for the flexibility and choices, and she REALLY gave iOS and WP a shot, she's been dealing with both for over a year now and has given up.

#36 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 28 May 2013 - 13:02

Yeh windows 8 phone is fine for the average consumer who just wants to make calls/text, browse facebook and play angry birds
much like iphone

once you get used to custom roms and the cutomisability of android its very hard to go back

for example i tried a lumia 800 for a few months

I had to always use skydrive to upload my documents to the phone, why the hell couldnt i just do drag and drop from WINDOWS DESKTOP, i can do it on my android phone... same with music and video files, why do i have to sync with zune all the time /itunes with iphone.
I couldnt have individual volumes as you point out
i couldnt figure out how to have custom ringtone or text tone
i coulnt change the vibration styles for calls and messages ( a nokia from 2002 can do this...)
there was no way to set do not disturb times
there was no easy way to access airplane mode,and other settings (compared to the pull down notification bar in android)
there was no light notification for missed calls/texts, you have to turn on the screen to check
there was no easy file browser/explorer
lack of apps

these are just the thing i can think of right now

i felt very limited on the lumia,

Speak for yourself.

HTC Magic
HTC Legend
Sony Ericsson X10
iPhone 4
Galaxy S2
Galaxy Tab
Motorola Xoom
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy S3
Lumia 920

I love the 920 apart from a few issues which will be sorted once Nokia send my replacement out.

There are features missing, and it's a pain, because I think MS should be pumping the updates out. But It is a brilliant OS. I'm no regular consumer, apart from the X10, which didn't have an unlocked bootloader while I used it, is the only one I didn't constantly trial different custom ROMs. I also jailbroke and downloaded the crap out of Cydia hacks.

I honestly would struggle to use Android again. That's not to say Android isn't friggin awesome, as is iOS.

Drag and drop is supported on my phone
Individual volume really needs to be in the first major update due next month. It's painful, really painful.
You didn't look hard enough
Not that I use this feature, but I can see how that would be annoying.
A feature that will hopefully be added
A few apps add this functionality. I'm interested to see how MS will address this, because they need to do something for notifications. Toasts don't cut it. I think they ran out of time according to an article I read. I think.
Many phones don't have lights.
What do you need a file browser for?
It's growing day by day.

#37 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 28 May 2013 - 15:21

she likes her WP device but it's lacking in features she needs for work, has given up.

What features? And yet they let Androids have access? Color me skeptical.

#38 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 May 2013 - 15:25

you cant possibly say that with a straight face. there is no comparison.

well, he can and then start laughing hysterically.

My Mom who happens to be a bigger gadget freak than me has tried em all, she currently has a 910, a 920, and an iPhone 4S, she's used Android and got me to switch from BB back in the Cupcake days. She told me the other day that she's switching back to Android soon, she likes her WP device but it's lacking in features she needs for work, iOS doesn't seem to cooperate too well with it, so Android is her only choice for the flexibility and choices, and she REALLY gave iOS and WP a shot, she's been dealing with both for over a year now and has given up.

I bet your mom's problem with Lumia 910 is that it doesn't exist.